Home

madden should take notes from nba 2k11

This is a discussion on madden should take notes from nba 2k11 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2010, 10:53 PM   #41
MVP

PaperBoyx703's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: madden should take notes from nba 2k11

How can we compare basket programming to football programming??? Anyone? The make-up of both games are incomparable. There's alot more to a football game to a basketball game, and by that there are so many un-noticables that go on in football that people focus on than in basketball
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_XaVo7o3_l
How can we compare basket programming to football programming??? Anyone? The make-up of both games are incomparable. There's alot more to a football game to a basketball game, and by that there are so many un-noticables that go on in football that people focus on than in basketball
And you know all this how?

NBA 2k11 delivers i gameplay, presentation, career modes, etc. They only fall short in online gameplay, but its not really that bad. Madden delivers really in online modes at best and falls short in the other areas. NBA 2k11 is recognized as a simulation, Madden is recognized by most as an arcade-simulation mix. NBA 2k11 is called GOTY and Madden 11 was not ever mentioned in the same sentence.

Even if football games are harder to program, what I just summarized should not happen. Every sports game that came out this year was pretty well done. Madden and NCAA are average and are what I feel the 07/08 years should have been. Even Backbreaker impressed me for a first time game.

― Plato
Old 10-19-2010, 11:26 PM   #43
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
And you know all this how?

NBA 2k11 delivers i gameplay, presentation, career modes, etc. They only fall short in online gameplay, but its not really that bad. Madden delivers really in online modes at best and falls short in the other areas. NBA 2k11 is recognized as a simulation, Madden is recognized by most as an arcade-simulation mix. NBA 2k11 is called GOTY and Madden 11 was not ever mentioned in the same sentence.

Even if football games are harder to program, what I just summarized should not happen. Every sports game that came out this year was pretty well done. Madden and NCAA are average and are what I feel the 07/08 years should have been. Even Backbreaker impressed me for a first time game.

I'll agree to disagree with you on NCAA. NCAA is a good entertaining game that still grabs my attention. Maybe not for you, but it's deep.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:40 PM   #44
MVP

PaperBoyx703's Arena

OVR: 22

NCAA is better than Madden but Football is football and basketball is basketball.

Simulating shooting styles and dunk/layup styles and free throw styles, running, dribbling play style, player modules..etc versus Kicking,Punting,Throwing, Tackling, Running, Coverage, Blocking Styles, Block Shedding styles, juke styles, hurdling, route running, carry styles, play style, player modules...etc

5 on 5 doing different things 15/16 or whatever man roster
vs
11 on 11 doing different things 53 man roster

Yes EA has problems but to compare two different sports and expect the level of detail to be comparable isnt fair.

Compare BB n Madden.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:02 AM   #45
Banned

OVR: 24

I understand the gameplay difficulty, but the presentation in 2k11 is what Madden should've had since the move to next-gen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #46
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Quote:
...Simulating shooting styles and dunk/layup styles and free throw styles, running, dribbling play style, player modules..etc versus Kicking,Punting,Throwing, Tackling, Running, Coverage, Blocking Styles, Block Shedding styles, juke styles, hurdling, route running, carry styles, play style, player modules...etc

5 on 5 doing different things 15/16 or whatever man roster
vs
11 on 11 doing different things 53 man roster

Yes EA has problems but to compare two different sports and expect the level of detail to be comparable isnt fair.

Compare BB n Madden.
Comparing to 2K basketball seems safe around here. Comparing it to what we should be comparing it to encourages warnings & bans. But that game still did things madden hasn't done yet. Tiered play calling, outside/speed rush, engaged player mobility...

We're all individuals referring to different aspects of simulating sports. I can't speak for everyone, but the aspects I'm referring to are not the fine details. I'm talking about the basics, the fundamentals of the sport. From the beginning, the huddle, Madden doesn't get it right. A pre-packaged defensive play is not football. I've got mini wishlist all over the place, so I'll stop there. My point is that there are far too many football BASICS missing.

Yes, 2K 11 has a lot of little things that make it better, but it's the fundamental basketball things, the foundation of the game that make it great. No one but 8 year old kids would care about signature shots if the basics weren't in order. And I'm not saying the game is perfect, but it's much truer to the sport.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #47
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Comparing to 2K basketball seems safe around here. Comparing it to what we should be comparing it to encourages warnings & bans. But that game still did things madden hasn't done yet. Tiered play calling, outside/speed rush, engaged player mobility...

We're all individuals referring to different aspects of simulating sports. I can't speak for everyone, but the aspects I'm referring to are not the fine details. I'm talking about the basics, the fundamentals of the sport. From the beginning, the huddle, Madden doesn't get it right. A pre-packaged defensive play is not football. I've got mini wishlist all over the place, so I'll stop there. My point is that there are far too many football BASICS missing.

Yes, 2K 11 has a lot of little things that make it better, but it's the fundamental basketball things, the foundation of the game that make it great. No one but 8 year old kids would care about signature shots if the basics weren't in order. And I'm not saying the game is perfect, but it's much truer to the sport.

Lol. I was all ready to reply to his post with something very similar to the part that I bolded, until I read your post, and realized I didn't have to. Bravo, again.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 4

In this long (loooong) time gamer's opinion NBA2k11 is the first "next-gen" sports game.

Is it perfect? No.

But there is a lot for other game makers to take away from what that team [NBA2k11] has been able to release as a final product.

Core game play...that is...the representation of the sport as a video game product is getting pretty close to spot on. This also has a secondary effect of cutting down cheese. There is a cherry picking issue right now but once that is patched out, there are no "money" plays, that is, unless you have actual game play skills.

Strategy...yes, there really is use of plays strategy in NBA2k11. Sure, you can just run around and try to Rambo your way around 2k11. But if you run up against a player with skills and strategy, your going to get schooled...and rightly so. But for the casual gamers, it doesn't take much effort to get the swing of the strategies and skills of NBA2k11.

The little things...a couple of things continue to absolutely blow my mind in NBA2k11 and make me wonder what the heck are the other companies doing...in association mode, at the end of a long road swing, your team actually comes out flat. Injuries...when you have a guy playing through a wrist or hand injury, he's actually playing holding his hand and it limits what he can do. An ankle injury? Your guy is limping up and down the court and has to basically use up his stamina to 'keep up'.

"What I look forward to is continued immaturity followed by death"
-Dave Barry

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »