Home

Changing teams to a 3-4 defense

This is a discussion on Changing teams to a 3-4 defense within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2011, 05:59 AM   #9
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Changing teams to a 3-4 defense

In my opinion, when it comes to Madden NFL, the 3-4 is still very much a formality. the game "doesn't work right" when you try to use the 3-4. teams play better when you sim with the 4-3 style linemen progress/regress better when you sim with the 4-3, draft picks and OVR ratings are calculated by 4-3 pay styles, animations that play out and moves used by the D-Line don't respect the 3-4... so on and so forth.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
The coaching changes only affect simmed games. If you change the Bears to 3-4, they will sim games using the 3-4.

If you play the Bears, they will use Lovie Smith's playbook which is a 4-3.
If you change the Bears to a 3-4 defense and play against them, they will use Bears playbook but play a 3-4 defense. I changed Dolphins to 3-4 and played them with their Dolphins playbook, and the Dolphins played a 3-4. Thus, I would expect the same thing with Bears or any other 4-3 team.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
In my opinion, when it comes to Madden NFL, the 3-4 is still very much a formality. the game "doesn't work right" when you try to use the 3-4. teams play better when you sim with the 4-3 style linemen progress/regress better when you sim with the 4-3, draft picks and OVR ratings are calculated by 4-3 pay styles, animations that play out and moves used by the D-Line don't respect the 3-4... so on and so forth.
Are you talking about just simming or including playing the game as well?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambizytl
If you change the Bears to a 3-4 defense and play against them, they will use Bears playbook but play a 3-4 defense. I changed Dolphins to 3-4 and played them with their Dolphins playbook, and the Dolphins played a 3-4. Thus, I would expect the same thing with Bears or any other 4-3 team.
That doesn't make sense. First off, the Dolphins are a 3-4 team so when you face a team using their playbook, they will use the 3-4.

If you face a team using Lovie Smith's playbook, they will not be playing the 3-4. There are no 3-4 sets in his playbook.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
That doesn't make sense. First off, the Dolphins are a 3-4 team so when you face a team using their playbook, they will use the 3-4.

If you face a team using Lovie Smith's playbook, they will not be playing the 3-4. There are no 3-4 sets in his playbook.
I am telling you that Dolphins changed to 3-4 play the 3-4 with Dolphins playbook--and Dolphins are 4-3 by default. Thus, why wouldn't the same thing occur with the Bears? You could change the Bears to a 3-4 and they will play a 3-4 with Bears playbook. Now I wouldn't change the Bears because they are not 3-4 in real football, but the Dolphins along with some other teams are 3-4 and not the 4-3 in Madden.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #14
MVP

Palo20's Arena

Quote:
I am telling you that Dolphins changed to 3-4 play the 3-4 with Dolphins playbook--and Dolphins are 4-3 by default. Thus, why wouldn't the same thing occur with the Bears? You could change the Bears to a 3-4 and they will play a 3-4 with Bears playbook. Now I wouldn't change the Bears because they are not 3-4 in real football, but the Dolphins along with some other teams are 3-4 and not the 4-3 in Madden.
Dolphins default is a 3-4 playbook, just like real life.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Dolphins default is a 3-4 playbook, just like real life.
I just started another franchise--new one--and Dolphins defensive coaching scheme is....4-3 by default.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #16
MVP

Palo20's Arena

Quote:
I just started another franchise--new one--and Dolphins defensive coaching scheme is....4-3 by default.
Ok, but the Tony Sparano playbook is 3-4, so that's what they play with by default when you play a game.

Change the Bears to 3-4 in the coaching scheme then play a game against them with their default playbook. They will be 4-3.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »