Home

Madden12 @ E3: Raiders at Ravens

This is a discussion on Madden12 @ E3: Raiders at Ravens within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #33
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Madden12 @ E3: Raiders at Ravens

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvana

a question i would ask though, is the coverage in madden too tight, while agree passes need more arc/height.... the issue of defenders covering too much space and the issue of defenders being clued to WR is an issue IMO...
I'd say Madden's coverage is too tight because of its underlying mechanisms. If you attempted a similar corner route in Madden, you'd have to account for several things:

First, if you throw the ball before the cut in Madden, you'll throw it straight at the safety as Madden thinks you're running a streak/go route. If you throw after the cut, the safety is already closing in on the receiver, making the pass almost impossible to complete.

Second, as the pass is only five yards behind the cornerback, he would have no trouble catching up to the receiver in Madden as it doesn't portray momentum very well. Additionally, people can jump unrealistically high in Madden, so even if he wouldn't be able to catch up, he'd be able to jump high enough to knock the ball down or intercept.

Third, as Madden doesn't have any procedural awareness the safety and cornerback would instantly run towards the ball as soon as the throwing animation starts, thus eliminating the passing window before the ball leaves the quarterbacks hand.

So, besides ball arc/trajectory, route based passing and player momentum, the thing that makes the receiver able to complete the pass in the clip is that the ball is halfway towards its target before the cornerback and safety even notice. It gives the receiver just enough space between him and the cornerback and makes the safety take a bad angle. This kind of play, unfortunately, just can't occur in Madden due to its underlying mechanisms.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 8

Can't watch, is Asomugha on the Raiders? That is important to me, not only because I follow the Raiders, but because that means that FA's may be with their original teams.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #35
Observer

guaps's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidertiger
Can't watch, is Asomugha on the Raiders? That is important to me, not only because I follow the Raiders, but because that means that FA's may be with their original teams.
Yes, Asomugha is on the team - for now
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #36
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisinas
This game has flaws
Though i will buy it and hopefully enjoy my offline franchise but its no where near nba 2k11 to be honest , not even close .
You must be confused with one being basketball and the other football. Who cares if you think one is better then the other. They are different sports.

So should I say. So should I say " I am buying NBA 2K12 but it is nowhere near as good as Uncharted 3.

I mean really. What does saying it is not as good as another game that is not the same sport mean when it comes to talking about this video.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #37
Rookie

GGEden's Arena

I strongly disagree with the notion throwing to WRs and to the sidelines is difficult. Yes, many many people relied heavily on throwing to the middle and leaning heavily on "drag" routes because they were so easy, but it doesn't mean throwing deep to the sidelines is difficult, and without having to scramble around like a madman or dropping back 20 yards.

Watching the E3 videos I can already see throwing deep to the sidelines will ring the cash register.

Consider my Heyward-Bey and Receivers youtube videos found in my blog.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #38
Banned

This game is improved, but nothing special, the quarterback play is terrible, the drop backs are super fast, no pocket, and you can still drop back 10,15,20 yards, scramble, and throw a on point pass.
This game is no where near NBA 2k11, I bet I can buy this game, put the skill level on Superstar, and dominate the first day.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #39
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_larry
This game is improved, but nothing special, the quarterback play is terrible, the drop backs are super fast, no pocket, and you can still drop back 10,15,20 yards, scramble, and throw a on point pass.
This game is no where near NBA 2k11, I bet I can buy this game, put the skill level on Superstar, and dominate the first day.
I can score 100 points with Lebron in NBA 2K11...Does that make it a bad game.

Stop trolling
Old 06-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #40
Rookie

GGEden's Arena

EA will definitely need to Tune things considering all the E3 videos i've seen.

Online is gonna be frustrating again...

- Nanos are very evident, and what will exacerbate this is that DBs/LBs play a lot smarter/better.

- M11 zig-zag running is there, but a new one, backwards-sideways running to get around the edge, with a speedy back and it should be paydirt. Look at J.Charles TD run in the Chiefs-Bengals video. Also, the ratings here aren't helping. 90% of LBs are in the 70-80 speed. Whilst 90% of RBs are in the 85-90 speed.

- Too jerky and without momentum loss, runners moving east-west and west-east.

- QB's move way too fast, auto-drop has been removed, so people are gonna instant-scramble all over the place.

I hope and pray EA really Tune the game big time come release and thru the first month to slow it all down and dial down speed/acceleration being so dominant.

See, all the physical attributes are treated properly, going off combine results, where a lot of QBs are actually pretty quick and agile. But the problem is the way that's coded where everything is treated the same. But in a way, purely because it's a video game, they need to somehow just make all those pocket QBs with 75 speed/agility/acceleration (like Brady, Manning, Palmer) be represented slower just to make the game in action appear more realistic.

Last edited by GGEden; 06-20-2011 at 11:01 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »