Home

NFL License

This is a discussion on NFL License within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #105
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: NFL License

It wouldn't make sense for EA or 2K to pay half or anywhere near half of what EA pays for an exclusive license for a non-exclusive license. The exclusive tag drives the price up by about 1000% (10x). That's why the NFL seems to favor the exclusive license over a few non-exclusive licenses. If they could sell 20 non exclusive licenses and get more money then selling 1 exclusive license then that's what they would do. But they were only getting 3, maybe 4, non exclusive licenses so they went with a much more expensive exclusive option. The NFL is doing what is in their best interest and in this instance their best interest is to get as much money as possible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #106
Hail To The Redskins!

cjallure24's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionMaximus
I think the only things certain in our lifetimes is Death, Taxes, EA/NFL exclusive license deal.
....well said my good man. Well said.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #107
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaresacksqb
I get that it might not be the NFL's way of buisness but wouldn't they be the big winners in have a two liscense deal? They should atleast bring it up in their meeting room. Wasn't competition between 2k and madden among others that enabled them to even put out such a hefty tag on a eclusive deal. With madden disappointing so much since they got the licsense, I would think reverting back to competition could only be a good thing.
From a consumer standpoint, of course it would be a good point.

From the NFL standpoint, it's not the way they do business.

It's been proven that the NFL makes more money with an exclusive license(only 1 vender) vs several game developers(more than 1 company)

They are not going to break up their business model to bring back competition. They don't do that for DirectTv, alcohol vendors, clothing, etc....

It's just wishful thinking at this point.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #108
Pro

Dwaresacksqb's Arena

OVR: 1

Ok then it's all about money to the NFL. They don't care about the quality of their product being sold anymore. So they don't care that we are unhappy about what they are doing. I understand now.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #109
Rookie

OVR: 3

The NFL only cares about the casual fans perception of it's products. Madden gets decent reviews every year (7.5 out of 10 seems to be average this year) and so the NFL doesn't have a problem with the product that EA is putting out. So while it's probably not all just about the money, yes it is mostly about the money. I'm pretty sure if EA decided to release a game that looks like it belongs on a Super Nintendo and the reviews were likely 2.5 out of 10 then they might be a little more upset. But as is, they see a game selling millions of copies and getting good reviews. Those making these decisions probably don't even play the game.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #110
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaresacksqb
Ok then it's all about money to the NFL. They don't care about the quality of their product being sold anymore. So they don't care that we are unhappy about what they are doing. I understand now.
There's another thing to take into account. There is no reason to believe that the NFL sees the same shortcomings that we see. From their point of view, Madden football is an ideal representation of their sport. Every year, they provide EA with more and more resources to bring the game to life, from access to all-22 tapes, actual coaches coming in and helping design blocking schemes, new stadium cams, etc.

Do you think Roger Goddell or anyone else in the NFL office cares that there's no footplanting, or that the defensive line stunts need work?
Old 09-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #111
Rookie

GGEden's Arena

OVR: 11

Another reason why the NFL wouldn't split the license in half is because EA and 2K would complain about how they're shelling out $40M, but the competition itself between the two games could mean one of the game bombs out. Too much of a risk for one of the companies to invest $40M without guarantee. Meaning, there's a certain degree where the NFL in creating a business partnership with a game studio has to also be profitable and risk-free for the game studio.

If they did open up multi-licensing, the objective of the game studios would be that the licensing fee is drastically reduced to offset the risk. Which brings up a worthwhile debate about the American Needle antitrust lawsuit. Game studios imo would be legally right to contend that an exclusive license kills off competition, causes monopolies, and the federal courts would agree.

Last edited by GGEden; 09-30-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #112
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I hope this post was a reply to another post instead of mine because that's not what I was stating, at all. I have no "beef with Madden" nor would me not buying be a "boycott". All these things imply that I am trying to bring about change with my actions but that's not the case. If I don't feel that Madden 13 has made the strides that Madden 12 did from Madden 11, I am done buying EA football games. Not for some principled stand but because I am tired of being disappointed with EA's football games. The lack of a choice is unfortunate but has no bearing on my potential decision to no longer buy EA football games.
It was in response to you saying you felt it'd be ideal if more people took a similar stand. I.E.: not buying the game.

And that's what I was explaining is that there will always be people like me who will buy it regardless, because we're essentially paying for the NFL license to play an NFL game, regardless of if it's Madden, NFL 2K, Game Day, or whatever.

I'm not arguing with your point, I'm just stating that there are people out there (myself included) who's desire for that NFL licensed game is too strong to not buy a game, even if it's not up to our standards.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »