Home

Why do people control all 32 teams?

This is a discussion on Why do people control all 32 teams? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #57
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Why do people control all 32 teams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoisePanther
I had an UDFA come to me when I was doing a Seahawks 'Chise, and he was a 71 OVR SS.
In my second year I had a gem signed o my Dolphins. A MLB who now is a 71 overall with a C Potential. Thing is...he is pretty damn good. And is around the ball all the time. He even had a pick in his first pre-season game and that is what brought him to my attention.

I am totally enjoying the pre-season now in the hopes of finding a gem or two from the UDFA I have signed. So far We have hit on one.

I also love the 32 team control as it is not nearly as cumbersome as I thought it would be. I let the CPU do all the cut downs for 31 teams. So far I have had to go in and reverse 2 cuts....2! Everything is working fine. Even the draft (using Madden generated classes) has gone well. I let the CPU do all their own scouting and I just do mine for the Fins.

The key is doing all the in-season resigning and making sure you keep all 31 teams balanced with good veteran backups. If you just do that one thing than franchise mode IMO is very playable and a lot of fun.

I am using the random number method ManningtoHarrison suggested on his 32 team handbook thread. 0-33 they become a free agent 34-100 they get resigned and I pick one guy who did not resign to franchise.

In my first off-season Matt Forte and Arian Foster went on the free agent market. And The Raiders signed Foster! I went ahead and looked around the league and wala! I traded McFadden and WR Ford and to the Bears for a second and 4th rounder. My storyline was Foster wanted out and soured on the Texans GM and McFadden wanted a monster extension and the Raiders were playing hardball with him. The Texans had Ben Tate waiting in the wings at a much cheaper price so they let Foster walk. Forte wanted too much money and the Bears GM felt he was not worth it but jumped at the chance at bringing in a star player like McFadden as well as getting a upstart WR like Ford. Forte was also coming off an injury and was out 8 weeks.

Things like this can make you enjoy the game that much more. You can create your own story lines etc buy retaining the 32 team control.

I don't obsess over everything. I just make sure the rosters look good for each team. It adds about an additional 7-10 hours of work per season. But IMO it is well worth it.

Do I wish I could control one team? Of course. And I probably would still enjoy it.....but I gave the 32 teams a shot and now I am hooked.

I would never, ever do this for NBA2K or The Show but I se many here that do for those titles.

Football is much easier to manage in that regard.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 10-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #58
Banned

OVR: 11

IDK, I guess I can still come up with those storylines without having to micromanage all 32 teams and allowing my team bias to enter in the equation, even if subconsciously.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #59
Banned

OVR: 11

Okay, so with all this talk about the CPU releasing players, and my Marcel Reese story, I decided to look into it and follow up on this.

I am going into Week 15 in season 2.

In season 1, Marcel Reese must have been released by Oakland, because it shows Reese as having played for Atlanta in 2011. I picked him up as a free agent in 2012.

As far as Atlanta goes releasing him (or more accurately, not re-signing him), the Falcons have Ovie Mughelli, OVR 92. So obviously Reese lost out on that one (80 OVR). The Raiders, on the other hand, have a rookie FB rated 80 OVR that they drafted in the 5th round, Lavon Madison (I played generated rookie classes, no NCAA imports).

So I can chalk that up to Oakland made a decision (released Reese in favor of probably an UDFA), didn't pan out, and they corrected their mistake the next season.

The highest rated free agent currently available is Albert Haynesworth (78 OVR).

I am seeing a lot of undrafted free agents, but they are typically 3rd stringers. So it's not totally out of line that an UDFA would make the roster as a 3rd stringer.

*REALISTICALLY*, teams are NOT going to go out and sign these 78 OVR's to play 3rd string. It sounds good in Madden, but in real life, that's money these owners have to shell out - and it's more money they are spending to bring in a "78 OVR" 3rd stringer than a "50 OVR" UDFA. This is realistic. Perhaps the actual numbers of UDFA's making teams is a bit on the unrealistic side, but teams signing these crappy players to play 3rd string, special teams, and fill out the roster is realistic.

For instance, Chad Henne is the highest rated available free agent QB in my franchise mode.

In real life, a team would not go out and sign Chad Henne as a 3rd stringer, just because he's better than the 3rd stringer they already have. That's too much money for a guy who's not going to play.

And where Chad Henne is still available, most, if not all, 2nd string QB's in my franchise are either rated just as high or higher than Henne, or not rated significantly lower enough for a team to scramble out and sign Chad Henne to be their backup.

Going through the transactions list for the season, I don't see any moves that stand out as something that shouldn't happen. Borderline players getting released, and teams picking up players to replace injured players.

I'm well beyond the pre-season, so I can't say what happened there, but I don't see anyone in the free agency list or on another team that they shouldn't be.

I do see a couple funky things, but nothing that stands out like "OMG this is totally unplayable!!!"

I do see too many UDFA in the league, but I don't really see instances where players who should "OMG'z have a roster spot!!!" are being released and put into free agency because of it. These UDFA are taking up the 3rd and 4th string slots.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #60
Pro

OVR: 3

I just started a franchise and controlled all 32 teams for the preseason, can I change to just controlling my team for the regular season, or am I stuck controlling every team all year?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #61
Fear The Spear

37's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyStroke3
I just started a franchise and controlled all 32 teams for the preseason, can I change to just controlling my team for the regular season, or am I stuck controlling every team all year?
Technically ur stuck controlling every team but u don't have to do anything for the other teams....just make sure every team has 53 guys and the requirement for each position is fulfilled
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 3

i love it because you get to use every team and the variety is awesome. also im in preseason right now in the 4th week and its awesome to see your teams start to come together from each cut week! in every sports game i use every team. that includes nba 2k, mlb the show, and madden. i love it!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »