Home

So am I the only one who plays on Very Fast with Threshold at 0?

This is a discussion on So am I the only one who plays on Very Fast with Threshold at 0? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 49
Re: So am I the only one who plays on Very Fast with Threshold at 0?

Speed threshold to my knowledge means what ever you set it to, no players ratings go go less then that number. So a threshold of 40 means even if a player has 35 speed, he will run with 40. At zero everyone would play at their rated attributes.

I play on slow or even very slow with 0 threshold. Normal and above seams like arcade action and super sonic speed IMO.

Glad there is a setting for everyone though.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarCityBandit
I think one thing that has to be understood about the Min Speed Threshold setting is this...When set to Zero, that is the most accurate representation of the speed that is on an actual NFL field.
That's incorrect sir. I wish EA didn't take down the M10 blogs so we would have a reference point. They had it all broken down by 40 time (Yea I know running in pads is different but I digress). Basically, a setting of 100 most closely represented 40 times, while low thresholds only widened the gap.

So depending on how you look at it, a threshold of zero is penalizing the not so fast players in the NFL by representing them as slower in-game than they are in real life.

If you ran the 40 with the slowest player in Madden on a 0 setting, it would take him a lot longer to finish than it does IRL. Probably upwards of 7-9 seconds if I had to guess which isn't all that realistic.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 25
On fast I feel the players move as if on meth.... But power to ya.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
Speed threshold to my knowledge means what ever you set it to, no players ratings go go less then that number. So a threshold of 40 means even if a player has 35 speed, he will run with 40. At zero everyone would play at their rated attributes.
Nope, that's not what threshold does. Threshold represents the disparity in speed between the fastest and slowest players. When they introduced threshold, they had it broken down by 40 times. Basically, the higher the setting, the better the 40 times were represented. The lower the threshold, the further you got away from 40 time representation.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36
Nope, that's not what threshold does. Threshold represents the disparity in speed between the fastest and slowest players. When they introduced threshold, they had it broken down by 40 times. Basically, the higher the setting, the better the 40 times were represented. The lower the threshold, the further you got away from 40 time representation.
Then they need to learn what a threshold is, cause if its not what I said, the term makes zero sense. I assumed the threshold was the point where ratings could start to vary. Don't understand the term threshold if that isn't how they used it...

A piece of wood or stone placed beneath a door; a doorsill.
2. An entrance or a doorway.
3. The place or point of beginning; the outset.
4. The point that must be exceeded to begin producing a given effect or result or to elicit a response

Last edited by wheelman990; 08-17-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 14

I think having the threshold at 0 helps to combat the inherent tackle suction in the game, not quite warping but if 2 players are close enough there is a degree of suction, threshold at 0 negates this a little. For example in one of my games Bradshaw took a screen pass right behind a D-lineman and was able to outrun him at 0 at default he was getting caught from behind, I think the former is more realistic even thougt the 40 times may be skewed. Also, the AI seems to run the ball much better with threshold at 0, I think playing at normal and faster also helps, it's not as smooth looking as slow but it's more fun IMO.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 3

Ok I can handle being wrong...Certainly isnt the first or last time!
So if I understand you correctly then in order to have the greatest representation of the actual NFL I would have to dial up the number to 100%?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #16
Rookie

Gaycandybacon's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarCityBandit
I did this with Madden 12 for the first time when it launched and its the only way I feel to get the most realistic experience.
It forces you as QB to Snap/Read/Throw in a timely manner, you hold the ball you get sacked just like the real thing. Also, the replays and animations to me look better because they are more representative of
the speed of an actual NFL game. Especially using the Highlight creator which is what I mainly use to watch replays. We have talked about this before but with Madden 13 and Infinity now in the mix, this demo is sweet with these settings.
Im impressed EA let us actually adjust this stuff in the demo.
I put the speed threshold at zero because that is the most accurate disparity in speed between say a Dlineman and the fastest guy on the field. Alot of people complain that there are too many breakaway plays for TDs on these settings but to that I say if you call the correct D there is no problem. But if you leave a corner out on an Island with no help all day he can be exploited eventually...Just like what would occur in an actual game. Ive played High scoring games in this demo with these settings and Ive played defensive battles too that ended with three field goals total being scored. Its all about what you call and what you do.
I'm gonna try this out.

Gamertag: Gaycandybacon Add me :D

Twitter: @Gaycandybacon

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »