Home

So am I the only one who plays on Very Fast with Threshold at 0?

This is a discussion on So am I the only one who plays on Very Fast with Threshold at 0? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: So am I the only one who plays on Very Fast with Threshold at 0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarCityBandit
Ok I can handle being wrong...Certainly isnt the first or last time!
So if I understand you correctly then in order to have the greatest representation of the actual NFL I would have to dial up the number to 100%?
Realism is subjective as we all know. Myself and Azure of the Sim Standard have been debating this threshold thing for two days now. He's like you in that he believes 0 offers the most realistic setting. Me, for how I see the NFL and for how the original threshold blog was introduced, I think higher thresholds represent greater realism.

That doesn't mean crank it to 100. 75 feels relatively comfortable for me, but it's all about preference.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #18
All Star

poster's Arena

OVR: 23

I have always thought a lower value better demonstrated the difference between the faster and slower players. Not in front of my tv now, but I thought it says something to that affect when adjusting the slider. With it set on a higher level, it seems the slower guys get a boost. It seems easier for someone slower to catch someone faster.

Example would be a DL'man all of a sudden running down a skill player. I'm not talking about a Peppers type DL'men either.

I am not saying anyone is right or wrong, I would like to find out for certain which way represents realism.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 3

What Im looking for is the setting that gives me the GREATEST difference/disparity between the fastest and slowest guys. This would seem to me to be the most accurate representation of speed on the field. And I say this bc the difference in speed between the slowest guy on a real NFL field and the fastest is HUGE.
Maybe 50 is the spot where its most realistic I dont know. But that is the number setting Im looking for.
I still need some clarification as to where on that slider is the real representation of speed. After all last season on zero and this demo on zero I have had high scoring games and then defensive battles so its hard for me to determine.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #20
Pro

thbends's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunPunk
Call me crazy, but I've found watching football on TV to be very different from watching in person. On TV, everything looks fast and perfect, but when you're in the stands, the game looks more organic. Players are subbed in and out and trot onto the field, line play actually looks like really physical a battle, and the game seems to play out slower.

Having played sports, I've come to understand that the game doesn't move in fast forward like it looks on TV. Things tend to slow down. People don't look as fast in person as they do on TV, even though they are going the same speed.

So, while everyone is pushing for a more TV realistic presentation, I'm just looking for an authentic football feel. And in my opinion, the slower Madden settings replicate more realistic depictions for speed.

The speed threshold is something I've got to tweak a bit, however.
Sorry but I have to disagree. I work in television and have covered football at all levels, high school, college, and the pros and there is a HUGE difference when on ground level with them.

High School obviously is easy to follow with a camera.

College I shot a lot of RG3 / Baylor games and you might miss a shot once in a drive but for the most part you can follow the action easily.

NFL... shockingly fast. Add in the size of the linemen and I challenge you to know where a RB is going to pop out from. Passes are lightning quick as well. It's almost absurd how fast NFL players are.

All that said I still slow it down personally. I figure to the player the game slows down.
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
MLB: Texas Rangers
NCAA: Baylor

Producer/Graphic Artist/Animator-CBS
Old 08-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #21
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by poster
With it set on a higher level, it seems the slower guys get a boost. It seems easier for someone slower to catch someone faster.
Are the slower guys getting an artificial boost? Or are the slower guys being given their appropriate speed relevant to the rest of the players and the NFL?

It's all about perspective and how you view things. I view a higher threshold as having defensive players play more reaslistically. You shouldn't be able to beat a LB/DE around the corner every single time. If they have the angle, why shouldn't they make the play?

I wonder what the combine scores were this year. I reckon most players ran a 4 something. The difference in speed is not as drastic as it's portrayed in Madden using lower thresholds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarCityBandit
And I say this bc the difference in speed between the slowest guy on a real NFL field and the fastest is HUGE.
Is it? Again, I wonder what the 40 times were this year (I guess I could google it later). Not only that, but even with a higher threshold, Chris Johnson isn't going to get caught from behind. That's a misconception that with high thresholds, everyone is the same exact speed. It's not like that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36
That's incorrect sir. I wish EA didn't take down the M10 blogs so we would have a reference point. They had it all broken down by 40 time (Yea I know running in pads is different but I digress). Basically, a setting of 100 most closely represented 40 times, while low thresholds only widened the gap.

So depending on how you look at it, a threshold of zero is penalizing the not so fast players in the NFL by representing them as slower in-game than they are in real life.

If you ran the 40 with the slowest player in Madden on a 0 setting, it would take him a lot longer to finish than it does IRL. Probably upwards of 7-9 seconds if I had to guess which isn't all that realistic.
Finally Rich Eisien could beat someone!
Old 08-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #23
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36
Nope, that's not what threshold does. Threshold represents the disparity in speed between the fastest and slowest players. When they introduced threshold, they had it broken down by 40 times. Basically, the higher the setting, the better the 40 times were represented. The lower the threshold, the further you got away from 40 time representation.
Do you think since M10 they may have change the way the threshold works?

I'm confused because in NCAA 13 I had a DT pick up a fumble, and for the next 50 yards a Wr could not catch him from behind, and due to this it has me thinking about lowering it.

Now if what your stating is true, which I want to add I totaly respect your information then why didnt my WR catch this DT at 85 threshold?

This is why I'm thinking they may have changed the formula to how threshold works.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #24
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
Do you think since M10 they may have change the way the threshold works?
I highly doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
I'm confused because in NCAA 13 I had a DT pick up a fumble, and for the next 50 yards a Wr could not catch him from behind, and due to this it has me thinking about lowering it.
Well that begs the question, which one is it? Some say that's too easy to get caught from behind, and you're saying in this example it was impossible for him to get caught from behind. All of which says to me there are some misconceptions about what higher thresholds do.

Just to reiterate, we've all seen posts here over the years that the only rating that matters in Madden is speed. We've all seen them. So here's the solution to making speed not be the end-all-be-all, and people runaway from it. It's perplexing.

Like Poster said, there is no right or wrong. It's preference, and it's all about how you see the NFL.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »