Home

Pre-determined Outcomes (A.K.A. Super Linebackers) in M13

This is a discussion on Pre-determined Outcomes (A.K.A. Super Linebackers) in M13 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #41
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: Pre-determined Outcomes (A.K.A. Super Linebackers) in M13

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy321813
Therefore super linebacker is just not possible.
You just refuse to read anything other than what you want to see. Reread my post. Just because read and react works, doesn't mean the player will make a realistic play on the ball.

Last edited by raiders81tim; 08-22-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiders81tim
You just refuse to read anything other than what you want I see. Reread my post. Just because read and react works, doesn't mean the player will make a realistic play on the ball.
Read and react means it's not possible for them to make a play on the ball if they do not look for the ball. By definition super linebackers are when a linebacker ISN'T looking at the ball, but still manages to successfully jump with one foot and one hand in the air to swat the ball.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #43
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Like I said before, please close this thread mods, this is a pointless thread. We've already proven Super Linebackers aren't in the game, no more reason to talk about it.
Or you could give us some time to see what the videos show.

You obviously feel very strong personally about this issue, but it's a new edition and it's a legacy issue that is worth discussing -- especially when people are seeing it pop up.

If no videos show it, then fine, get rid of the thread.

I feel like there are two unnecessary battles going on.

One is trying to discuss the possibility of pre-determined outcomes (ie. super linebackers). The other is trying to justify a topic for conversation, which is becoming really annoying.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #44
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

I haven't seen the super linebackers, and it was THE reason I quit playing Madden 12. I'm able to make the throws I want. If a defender makes a play, it's typically because I made a bad read or a bad throw.

There's a difference between a linebacker making a good play on the ball and linebackers reacting like superman.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
Or you could give us some time to see what the videos show.

You obviously feel very strong personally about this issue, but it's a new edition and it's a legacy issue that is worth discussing -- especially when people are seeing it pop up.

If no videos show it, then fine, get rid of the thread.

I feel like there are two unnecessary battles going on.

One is trying to discuss the possibility of pre-determined outcomes (ie. super linebackers). The other is trying to justify a topic for conversation, which is becoming really annoying.
No, what is annoying is we explain what a super linebacker is and does, but you guys contradict yourselves. The other guy claims that read and react works fine, but also claims that super linebackers are in. That is a complete contradiction. If you go by the definition of a super linebacker, then it's not possible for them to be in unless there is no read and react.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #46
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino22
Its supposed to be determined by the pressure with which you push the button for the receiver as well as how long you hold it down. For example, tapping the WR button will create a lob pass while holding it down through the throwing motion will fire a bullet pass.
This is what I wanted to touch on right here. I remember in the webcast describing the different trajectories they said they had changed the button mechanic so it was about how long you held it instead how hard you pressed it. I loved hearing that because I had felt for a while that was the best way to clearly have a distinction between bullet, touch and lob. However, in the demo, the ball still seems to be thrown as soon as I press the button, not when I release the button as described. Now I haven't practiced this extensively enough to say it's not working as described, that's just how it seems in the few times I have played the demo.

As far as "super linebackers" I know there is a whole thread discussing if there was ever such a thing in regard to them jumping and that it was the pass trajectories, not the LBs jumping that was the issue However, the discussion also broke down that the "super" was referring to the reaction times and LBS going from moving one way, right into INT animations another way, without any transitional animations in-between. I think the OP of course makes a good point because without addressing player movement, which includes those transitional animations, it seems rather obvious all players can still perform "super" feats in Madden.

I saw a few instances last night of LBs making INTs in the middle of the field for passes meant to go deeper down field. I was concerned about the fact of an instant INT because I felt those should have been tips or attempted INTs, instead plucked right out of the sky. I can completely understand how someone would tie that into "super" reaction time because the LBs gathering themselves to jump up to make such a flawless INT does look rather unrealistic at times.

That said, I do think there was a lot of human error on my part for the type of passes I threw in those instances too. My point is I don't feel the INTs played out realistic by the LBs do to the way they still move and can instantly access INT animations with seemingly no realistic transition. Yet I also understand that there are things a could have done with the passing mechanics to avoid them getting their hands on the ball in the first place.

In a nutshell I think the OP is right about "super" LBs because all players in Madden can still move and react in completely unrealistic ways. However, the I believe most INTs and pass deflections by LBs due to those issues can be avoided by better utilizing the current passing mechanics.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #47
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy321813
No, what is annoying is we explain what a super linebacker is and does, but you guys contradict yourselves. The other guy claims that read and react works fine, but also claims that super linebackers are in. That is a complete contradiction. If you go by the definition of a super linebacker, then it's not possible for them to be in unless there is no read and react.
So just because EA says there is read-and-react that means it's impossible for any issues related to it to exist?

I really don't care what you call it, the main topic is the possibility that pre-determined outcomes impact the dynamics/fluidity of gameplay.

For example, the game decides on a button press that it wants the LB to intercept my pass, thus the ball takes the perfect trajectory to the linebacker's hands even though I pressed the button for a higher trajectory.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #48
Banned

OVR: 49

I have always called things like I see it, and I have no reason to state this besides the fact it bugs me when it happens:

If by super linebackers you mean a LB who jumps super, super high in the air to make a pick then I have seen both super LB's and even super CB's this year in the demo version. Now, it is very rare. maybe 1 time every 2-4 demo games depending on how often you pass, but it still is there.

I had a LB intercept it about 20 yards away from the receiver! I saw a cb grab one off me at at least 15 yards and it was really unrealistic looking too.

I actually thought of making a thread with this topic awhile back. Glad I didn't do it cause some of you guys fight so hard for Madden you loose track of the point of this forum. This issue doesn't happen much, but when it does it looks horrible. I would like it fixed. No more defensive players jumping 15 ft in the air.

And for you guys that actually state to others you must not know how to pass let me say this. years ago when I managed a warehouse I had a kid who worked under me tell me how good he was at Madden, and said how bad he would beat me if we played. He was a die hard Madden guy too. One day I figured, why not invite him over for a meal on me and then see what happens with a game of madden(Madden 03 Xbox). The game was like 54-6 in my favor when it ended. I don't think he ever brought up being good at Madden again. The point is, you have no idea who is good and who isn't good. Why make the "you must not be any good comments when someone posts something that you don't agree with?

Last edited by wheelman990; 08-22-2012 at 12:50 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »