Home

Pre-determined Outcomes (A.K.A. Super Linebackers) in M13

This is a discussion on Pre-determined Outcomes (A.K.A. Super Linebackers) in M13 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #57
Banned

OVR: 49
Re: Pre-determined Outcomes (A.K.A. Super Linebackers) in M13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
That's interesting Wheel, so do you think it was the players jumping unrealistically high, the pass being thrown too low or both? I guess the real question is what did the devs mean by "super linebackers" when they say they removed them. Did they mean the unrealistic reaction times, jumping high or what?

I know the devs stated read and react was meant to remove the "physic DB" and I think the pass trajectories were their fix for "super LBs", so that implies it was about the LBs being able to reach passes. It doesn't seem the intent was to address the LBs themselves but to allow Users to keep passes consistently out of reach of those LBs. So if we don't throw the correct type passes over the LBs, they can evidently still do the same things they could in M12.

I think that's what we all need to understand is player movement, including transitional animations tied with movement, have NOT been addressed yet but in the meantime we do have more pass trajectories to avoid "super LB" animations from triggering.
Well, last year super LB's were obvious to everyone. They happened all the time, and usually about 6-10 yards from scrimmage I would say. This year the few times (only 3 times in about 7 full games..I pass a lot!)) I have seen them have been deeper balls. The lb's more like 10-15 yards back, and the cb was about 15-18 yards as well I guess. The CB one really shocked me. It was a wide open pass that I would have made in this game or other Maddens every other time. The cb leaped one of those ya right jumps and got it. It was really noticeable, not something I think would be debated by anyone

The question is, were they trying to create a bad passing moment on those times? It didn't look like it at all. The ball trajectory seamed to be good throws. Just super high jumps from the LB's/CB to grab them. I would have rather the computer cheat me and make me throw a short pass or something then to see superman type jumps.

Last edited by wheelman990; 08-22-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #58
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
I have played the demo a ton and have yet to see "super linebackers".
In the demo, whenever you get the chance, call a spread WR pass, probably with 4WR and one of the inside receivers running a deep middle post route or a deep in route. When the receiver is in the middle of the field throw a bullet or maybe even a touch pass but not a lob and don't use the sticks, just the button. The receiver could be deep down field maybe 50 yards with a LB in the middle of the field maybe 20 yards deep, 30 yards away from the intended receiver but the LB will likely still jump up to intercept the ball.

Again, I know the manual "fix" is to not throw those type of passes over a defender but the fact still remains it's unrealistic for those consistently be INTs. That's "super LBs" in the sense that they should not be triggering instant INT animations in those type scenarios, even on those type of pass trajectories. I believe that's the OP's point and I agree.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #59
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
I don't doubt it because like I stated , I have not practiced it a lot. Let me ask you, do you notice in NCAA 13 or M13 demo, that your passes in fact are NOT thrown until you release the button?

For me it seems that the button mechanic is working the same as last year, in the sense that passes are being determined by the button press, not the hold and release as described. I have not noticed yet that if I hold the button down, the pass does not release until I release the button but the pass seems to be thrown when I press the button.

Hopefully you know what I am talking about and I won't need to post the webcast describing the mechanic.
You still have to adhere to the throwing motion of the QB. So if you just tap the button quickly, the QB still has to go through the motion. But you'll get a lob. Whereas if you just infinitely hold the button down, he'll throw a bullet at the end of his throwing motion.

So as soon as you start pressing, the throwing motion begins. The amount you hold it down during that time will determine the throw.

Quote:
In the demo, whenever you get the chance, call a spread WR pass, probably with 4WR and one of the inside receivers running a deep middle post route or a deep in route. When the receiver is in the middle of the field throw a bullet or maybe even a touch pass but not a lob and don't use the sticks, just the button. The receiver could be deep down field maybe 50 yards with a LB in the middle of the field maybe 20 yards deep, 30 yards away from the intended receiver but the LB will likely still jump up to intercept the ball.

Again, I know the manual "fix" is to not throw those type of passes over a defender but the fact still remains it's unrealistic for those consistently be INTs. That's "super LBs" in the sense that they should not be triggering instant INT animations in those type scenarios, even on those type of pass trajectories. I believe that's the OP's point and I agree.
I don't have issues throwing over defenders if the positioning is right. I don't have linebackers squatting in the middle of the field, grabbing throws to receivers 15 yards behind them. I make that seam route toss with success.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #60
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:

Thank you. You nailed it.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #61
Banned

OVR: 49

I just watched the Patrick Willis INT video posted here.

I am ok with that. Just looked like a bad pass and a realistic INT to me. Mine didn't look anything like that at all. We all know the famous super linebacker animation of Madden 12 and it was a lot like that one. You know, where you want to pause the screen while the defenders in the air making the INT so you can Matrix spin the camera around him to show his superman like jump,lol.

I'll be on the watch, if I see another one I will report exactly what happened. Hard to remember every detail of games from days past. I know it was very noticeable and out of place, and I wanted to do a replay, take video and post it here to show super jumps still in.-Sadly no replays in demo.....

Last edited by wheelman990; 08-22-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #62
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:

Maybe I'm confused and not understanding things in laymen's terms, so, this is on me, not anyone else.

If you attempt a bullet pass 30 yds downfield or more, which I consider to be a bomb, isn't the chances greater of a LB leaping and trying to make a play on the ball vs lobbing the ball downfield. I see A-Rod all the time lobbing bombs down field over out-stretched hands and arms. I've seen Urlacher and to some extent, AJ Hawk make these types of plays.

Just trying to understand this.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #63
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
I don't have issues throwing over defenders if the positioning is right. I don't have linebackers squatting in the middle of the field, grabbing throws to receivers 15 yards behind them. I make that seam route toss with success.
Same here, I havent noticed anything like super jumps when throwing that seam route. My timing might be different, not saying I havent thrown a pick in that situation, but nothing like a linebacker jumping up 40 feet one handed to make the pick. Just my experience from the demo.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #64
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
When the receiver is in the middle of the field throw a bullet or maybe even a touch pass but not a lob and don't use the sticks, just the button.

I understand what you are saying, but why would you omit the sticks? Isnt that the point of the newer passing mechanic.....to give the ball the proper trajectory? I do notice if I just hit the button to pass, the ball is thrown "flat" without really an arch. When I use the stick, I get better passes and dont see the linebacker problem. Maybe it is only existant when you thrown flat passes without taking advantage of the stick?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »