Home

I will still boycott madden football for no PC version

This is a discussion on I will still boycott madden football for no PC version within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #9
MVP

TreFacTor's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: I will still boycott madden football for no PC version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
The fact that PC gamers can make changes and then make them available to 360 consoles (Skyrim) is, IMO, exactly why they don't make the game for PC anymore.
Not true....the only editing you can do to Skyrim on 360 is to modify the game save to increase carry weight, stamina, increase ammo, armor...nothing fantastic like the Skyrim mods for the PC. Of course there are the modded/chipped/jtag/RGH 360 consoles that can use some of(not all) the pc mods, but that's completely illegal anyways. Just pointing out that the mods for a pc madden wouldn't work on 360 and would be limited to roster and schedule and nothing more. (yeah I dabble)
Old 04-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
This doesn't begin to be true when one considers all possible hardware configurations of a PC, even limiting the operating system to just Windows 8.

It's much easier to develop for two static hardware configurations than a potentially infinite amount. Even if many hardware components these days are architecturally similar, they still aren't identical, and where there's hardware variation the potential for some sort of low-level incompatibility arises.

I was a big fan of the PC version as well - I ran two dynasties on here using Madden 06 PC and Madden 08 PC - but I can begin to understand why EA doesn't make them. I hope their tune changes with next-gen.
From the statements about new consoles, their architecture will be very close to PC one, unlike current one.

That removes the issue of portability, as for hardware configurations, most of the issues in the past were caused for same reasons, difference in architecture.

I am not sure why are people having worries about multitude of PC hardware and things not being able to work on them , when history showed that main reason why game would not work on PC was bad port, second common reason was lazy programing by game developer.

Now with advance of tablets and other gadgets, it's consoles that are going to take the hit.PC's, while still selling lower are built for wide range of use and they are not gonna change, but most of the market predictions are showing that new gadgets are taking bite out of consoles mostly in bigger and bigger numbers.

So it would be prudent, and i am sure that they already did that for publisher to reevaluate PC involvement.

Honestly, PC hardware variety has been poor publisher excuse for not providing PC versions for several years now..I have about 600+ games on PC and never had even one problem running game due to "hardware variety issues".

Last edited by tariq071; 04-19-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

When a much smaller studio in 2KSports can produce smaller market sports games for PC, EASports have no excuse. It's not a matter of not making money, it's a matter of not making enough money compared to that same effort/expenditure going to marketing a phone game or one of their other higher priorities.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #12
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Let's not pretend they're magically good at everything, I can't even play MLB2k12 on PC. Apparently you have to run a separate program (which doesn't work in Windows 8) to even get it to start, or I've read that changing the date on your computer might work. There's also the whole 'didnt release MLB2k13 on PC' thing.

PC support is an animal, a myriad of driver updates over the life of the product alone can cripple the perfect code.

If I described any game as "crap of a game" I don't think I'd be interested in buying it for any system really though.

If the ROI was there between sales and development and support of yet another platform I think we'd see a return to PC IMO. As it is they've got 2 new ones to work on this year, pretty clear their priorities are elsewhere.

Last edited by mestevo; 04-19-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #13
Banned

Jdoug312's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aranor
I will still will not buy this crap of a game for not being fair to all systems. It's been too long since a PC version has been on the market, and its sad that the same excuses continue to be used.
Do you boycott all xbox 360 exclusives for not being fair to PS3/PC owners as well? Because if not, I don't see the logic here.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 13

Pretty much all EA games are on the PC. I can't name very many that aren't. Football being one of the largest and leading games they have and is year after year is inexcusable.

At Alabama, our players don't win Heisman Trophies. Our teams win National Championships.-Bear Bryant
Old 04-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #15
43M
Banned

OVR: 0

EA hears what fans want, and do the exact opposite.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
This doesn't begin to be true when one considers all possible hardware configurations of a PC, even limiting the operating system to just Windows 8.

It's much easier to develop for two static hardware configurations than a potentially infinite amount. Even if many hardware components these days are architecturally similar, they still aren't identical, and where there's hardware variation the potential for some sort of low-level incompatibility arises.

I was a big fan of the PC version as well - I ran two dynasties on here using Madden 06 PC and Madden 08 PC - but I can begin to understand why EA doesn't make them. I hope their tune changes with next-gen.
Most of the code should be compiled code and very portable.

All code should be portable except any graphics code that doesn't use standard graphics libraries and any machine code for system critical real time code.

There are standard libraries for graphics that all graphics cards should support. Graphics commands sent directory to the hardware should always be very limited.

System critical, real time machine code should be very isolated and minimized as much as possible.

If they are doing a bunch of machine code and graphics programming straight to the graphics card, then "there doing it wrong".

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »