Home

25 Days of Madden: The Vision Cone

This is a discussion on 25 Days of Madden: The Vision Cone within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #97
World Series Champions!!

Cubfan's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: 25 Days of Madden: The Vision Cone

I remember trying it for a few games and not liking it. I turned it off and I'm glad it has not been brought back.
NBA: Chicago Bulls
NCAA: Iowa Hawkeyes
Old 08-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #98
MVP

infemous's Arena

OVR: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
Yeah, I agree one thousand percent.

Again, it just needs one of the other. Throwing meter, vision cone, something that accurately reflects how a QB operates. Of course, make it an option so people can disable it, but it's the only way to be "sim"
Thank you.

I look at it as right now, it's not necessarily broken, but it sure as hell isn't good.

I wanna firstly untether the ball from the WR. When that is done, passing can finally open up. We can finally see throws fly into the dirt, sail out of bounds or actually REALISTICALLY lead a WR to a specific spot. The difference is that the WR will need to be able to see th ball to make a play on it. It will also mean that the pass will need to be thrown in such a way that the WR will be able to do so. You can't always bullet pass because it may fly beyond your target. Using touch and placement will be the key. Which now throws up the real issue of how the ball actually comes out of the QBs hands.

Just pressing a button, either hard or tapping it does not offer any realistic representation of passing.

A gauge, like the passing gauges in FIFA can be used to help determine what sort of pass comes out. As I mentioned in the original post, it is dependent on the route, the QBs rating and a small amount of the human Player's skill.

Once these mechanics are established I think that something akin to the cone, such as a hidden cone that requires you to cycle through your targets before you 'pull the trigger' which the speed of the cycling between targets is determined by the players' awareness rating, will be more successful and less of a contentious issue.

I think the disagreements we have over the cone stem from just how fundamentally easy it is to pass once you have determined where the ball is going. It doesn't matter if you use the cone or not, because if you can throw the ball accurately with every QB, ad there is no differentiation between each QB in this regard, we will still know that the passing system in Madden sucks.

The QB cone is the painkiller for the migraine caused by a concussion (or something - excuse the analogy lol). A holistic approach is required, putting things that appear sim over a fundamentally unsim passing mechanic will still frustrate sim heads while additionally frustrating the pick up and play crowds, which as we all know is something EA refuse to allow to happen.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #99
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvana
i think the cone showed EA that going for realism or adding a learning curve to the game was not going to be insanely profitable or well received.

it turned off the casuals and imo from that point they took madden in a different direction.
With no competition it was a easy decision.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #100
Rookie

burter's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsrock95
Anyone remember "read and Lead" from nfl fever. I thought that was probably the best implementation of this type of feature. It took a little getting used to but it was less intrusive and more accurate.

That is freaking awesome! Wow. Like imagine if that was worked on from than till now.

Quotes lines from Mr. Schwarzenegger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxn0...eature=related

How to not get your a** kicked by the police.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=uj0mtxXEGE8#!
Old 08-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #101
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright25
You obviously never played QB in real Life. Being able to see the field is probably second most important ability next to being able to actually throw the ball.
How does one QB see more of the field than the other?

How does the vision cone represent this ability?

It's not literal vision (no QB sees only such a sliver of the field). It's knowing where the receivers are at any point in time.

The vision cone didn't represent that. It just made the bad QBs blind. That's not realistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2013, 02:44 AM   #102
Rookie

OVR: 2
It wasn't ever meant to represent how much of the field each QB saw, but how much of what they saw that they were able to process and react to... Jamarcus Russell could see that WR streaking up the sideline but not much else, so would throw it to him... Peyton Manning not only sees the WR, but also the CB underneath and the safety coming across from centre field for the pick, so won't throw it...
Old 08-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #103
Thread Killer

unfriendlyghst's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
How does one QB see more of the field than the other?

How does the vision cone represent this ability?

It's not literal vision (no QB sees only such a sliver of the field). It's knowing where the receivers are at any point in time.

The vision cone didn't represent that. It just made the bad QBs blind. That's not realistic.
Gonna have to disagree there KB. If your saying that Jamarcus Russel and Peyton Manning see the same field, and that the vision cone does NOT represent the discrepancy between the two, then I'm gonna have to say you arte O for 2 my friend.

Is it true that both QB's see (are looking at) the same physical field (the green grass)? Yeah , probably, but are they making the same reads? Are they seeing the same recievers get open during the play? Are they making the same pre play adjustments/reads (breaking down man/zone coverage).

I would think not.

As far as the cone goes against the CPU, I dunno, I'm playing with the Raiders now and if Matt Flynn isn't getting sacked or hit, my guys usually drop the pass.

HOWEVER, in the past 2 days I have had 3, 1.5 hr long games against Human oppenents and I can say with out a doubt the cone brings a welcome level of realism.

You HAVE to plant your feet.
You HAVE to lead your receivers.
You HAVE to make a good read (i.e. not across the field left to right or vice-versa)
You HAVE to stay in the pocket (it actually forms)
OR ELSE you RISK throwing an errant pass, a wounded duck, a grounder, or fumbling.

I can understand most people not wanting this level of realism, but it stands as a long lingering issue with Madden games, as it was once AN OPTION for those brave enough to try. And for Sim heads like me. This is a feature I would love to see re enter the series.

**Playing Madden 08 PC Modded rosters and 360 controllers.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #104
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfriendlyghst
Is it true that both QB's see (are looking at) the same physical field (the green grass)? Yeah , probably, but are they making the same reads? Are they seeing the same recievers get open during the play? Are they making the same pre play adjustments/reads (breaking down man/zone coverage).

I would think not.
How does the vision cone represent any of that?

The cone doesn't break down coverages. The cone doesn't make any reads. It just let's one QB see more of the physical field than the other.

The vision cone doesn't emulate ability to make reads at all. How does putting the cone on the receiver make the read? It just meant the QB is "looking at" the receiver so his accuracy is higher. The user is making the read and deciding where to put the cone. The cone isn't reading or allowing the QB to read anything.

How does it emulate the quickness the QB can adjust? It just adjusted as fast as the user could shift the cone, not based on the QB's abilities. The user is still making the presnap adjustments so the cone is just having the QB look somewhere (seeing the physical field), and the QB's abilities didn't alter that success.

Jamarcus Russell and Tom Brady can make the same reads with the vision cone. Russell might just need a faster user - but, assuming the skill is there, he's able to do the same thing as Brady, negating any difference and any realistic separation between the two.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »