Home

25 Days of Madden: The Vision Cone

This is a discussion on 25 Days of Madden: The Vision Cone within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #89
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: 25 Days of Madden: The Vision Cone

I didn't like the vision cone because it doesn't really represent the difference in QBs. I.e. Brady doesn't "see more of the field" than Boller or Jamarcus Russell. Brady isn't better at throwing without looking, nor can he throw without looking to more of the field, etc. To me, it's not more realistic; it's just a different kind of unrealism.

It's reading coverages and making adjustments on the fly that's different. It's switching reads and looking around the field (not ability to see the field) that's different. Guys like Brady know where to look for their targets and are mentally quick in doing it and thinking on the fly as well as staying composed when the play breaks down.

That could be represented by doing away with the button-throwing and going back to the old Tecmo Bowl select-and-throw. Then make AWR how fast the QB changes targets. Or use tap once to "look" then again to throw (so to throw to my "Circle WR" it's tap circle, then using circle to throw the pass. If I wanted to instead throw to X, then I'd tap Circle, then tap X (looking off from Circle), and then quickly X to throw before the defense adjusts. AWR would still be the speed the QB switches targets so doing all of that sort of stuff would be easier with P. Manning because of his sky high AWR and a chore (and requiring a better OL) with someone like Tyrod Taylor.

AWR could also be a modifier to accuracy when switching targets. It wouldn't "override" or whatever other game term S/M/DAC, but accuracy when standing and throwing to one target without changing focus and doing it after looking around and seeing the new position of the target (since everyone is in motion most of the time as they run their routes and exploit what the DBs are trying to do) is different. So instead of yet another rating, use AWR as a modifier as well as the distance between targets. High enough would be small "penalty" low would make it inconsistent. Lower AWR could look from sideline to nearside numbers better than sideline to far numbers or the other sideline, etc.

Then, you could get the actual "half-field" QBs, guys who need to make only a half field read because they don't handle looking from one sideline to the other quickly and accurately enough.

The composure and such is/can be/should be handled by DPP. Sense Pressure, Tuck and Run, and Force Passes.

Vision cone didn't handle that. It made one QB see 2/3 of the field and another see a tiny slice. That's just not realistic and it doesn't add the split the field in half sort of reads because anyone could "swivel" to the other sideline without issue on top of the fact the bad QBs got more out of looking off because of defenders honing in on the cone. A wide cone meant not one really "got fooled" because they're all in the cone.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #90
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaints26
Logically, people who wanted real, strategic football (win or lose) being replicated in Madden really enjoyed this feature.

People who just wanted to win at all costs and continue their mastery of the mediocre passing gameplay hated it.
I want more strategy and realism in Madden and thought the feature came up short because it really didn't capture the realistic differences in QBs.

I can see just as much of the field as Brady, yet in the game, I'd have a miniscule cone and Brady can "see the whole field". The difference between us isn't that I'm blind and he isn't, yet that's what the cone portrayed while doing nothing of the real differences such as ability to sight and switch targets and doing so while under pressure.

With the cone, me looking from sideline to sideline is just as fast a Brady. The difference in the cone is that I'd have to look and Brady wouldn't. The real difference is that I wouldn't have the instincts/muscle memory, knowledge of the play to know where to look quickly let alone making the quick read and throw. Brady could do it like it was a simple hand off.

To me, it's not capturing the strategic and realistic differences in QB play.

I don't like the current passing system either. I don't like being able to mutate routes at will and would like to see an actual route-based passing system so I can throw outs and such properly.

The fact I'm all in on the vision cone does not mean I do not want strategy and realism in Madden - that does not follow logically.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #91
Rookie

OVR: 1
I liked the cone, but it was a lot to deal with..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #92
Rookie

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I didn't like the vision cone because it doesn't really represent the difference in QBs. I.e. Brady doesn't "see more of the field" than Boller or Jamarcus Russell. Brady isn't better at throwing without looking, nor can he throw without looking to more of the field, etc. To me, it's not more realistic; it's just a different kind of unrealism.

It's reading coverages and making adjustments on the fly that's different. It's switching reads and looking around the field (not ability to see the field) that's different. Guys like Brady know where to look for their targets and are mentally quick in doing it and thinking on the fly as well as staying composed when the play breaks down.

That could be represented by doing away with the button-throwing and going back to the old Tecmo Bowl select-and-throw. Then make AWR how fast the QB changes targets. Or use tap once to "look" then again to throw (so to throw to my "Circle WR" it's tap circle, then using circle to throw the pass. If I wanted to instead throw to X, then I'd tap Circle, then tap X (looking off from Circle), and then quickly X to throw before the defense adjusts. AWR would still be the speed the QB switches targets so doing all of that sort of stuff would be easier with P. Manning because of his sky high AWR and a chore (and requiring a better OL) with someone like Tyrod Taylor.

AWR could also be a modifier to accuracy when switching targets. It wouldn't "override" or whatever other game term S/M/DAC, but accuracy when standing and throwing to one target without changing focus and doing it after looking around and seeing the new position of the target (since everyone is in motion most of the time as they run their routes and exploit what the DBs are trying to do) is different. So instead of yet another rating, use AWR as a modifier as well as the distance between targets. High enough would be small "penalty" low would make it inconsistent. Lower AWR could look from sideline to nearside numbers better than sideline to far numbers or the other sideline, etc.

Then, you could get the actual "half-field" QBs, guys who need to make only a half field read because they don't handle looking from one sideline to the other quickly and accurately enough.

The composure and such is/can be/should be handled by DPP. Sense Pressure, Tuck and Run, and Force Passes.

Vision cone didn't handle that. It made one QB see 2/3 of the field and another see a tiny slice. That's just not realistic and it doesn't add the split the field in half sort of reads because anyone could "swivel" to the other sideline without issue on top of the fact the bad QBs got more out of looking off because of defenders honing in on the cone. A wide cone meant not one really "got fooled" because they're all in the cone.
You obviously never played QB in real Life. Being able to see the field is probably second most important ability next to being able to actually throw the ball.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #93
Rookie

OVR: 7
Anyone remember "read and Lead" from nfl fever. I thought that was probably the best implementation of this type of feature. It took a little getting used to but it was less intrusive and more accurate.

Last edited by jagsrock95; 08-07-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #94
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by infemous
THANK YOU.

All we need is a meter, or a gauge, that can be toggled on and off with set standards and trajectories for every minute element on the gauge. The ratings affect each end result and it is up to the user to adapt and make very accurate throws... DEPENDING on the rating.

With regards the vision cone, I never played 06 (was happy with 03 until 2010) and therefore can't comment but its such an eye sore... if it was implemented with a hiding of the buttons for the receivers downfield until you manually looked at them, or clicked onto them, and came with the QB actually moving his head, I'd embrace it.
Yeah, I agree one thousand percent.

Again, it just needs one of the other. Throwing meter, vision cone, something that accurately reflects how a QB operates. Of course, make it an option so people can disable it, but it's the only way to be "sim"

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #95
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsrock95
Anyone remember "read and Lead" from nfl fever. I thought that was probably the best implementation of this type of feature. It took a little getting used to but it was less intrusive and more accurate.

That is actually pretty cool

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #96
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Or use tap once to "look" then again to throw (so to throw to my "Circle WR" it's tap circle, then using circle to throw the pass. If I wanted to instead throw to X, then I'd tap Circle, then tap X (looking off from Circle), and then quickly X to throw before the defense adjusts.
That's exactly how the vision cone worked in Madden if you used the triggers and face buttons to control it instead of the right joystick.

Sadly, many people never played with the feature long enough to realize that the alternate control method existed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »