Home

25 Days of Madden: The Vision Cone

This is a discussion on 25 Days of Madden: The Vision Cone within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #81
MVP

Iceman87GT's Arena

OVR: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I know different people have different opinions but the notion that anything for most of this gen was about realism, is so unfounded. People keep mentioning how "sim", ie realistic Vision Cone was in 2005, when after looking at Tiburon's whole body of next-gen work, it's evident that realism has never been their target for anything, outside of graphics and rhetoric. The list of these type features is long and consistent throughout this exclusive football gen, so I just don't understand why some skew this into something they want to see come back or as sim.

Yes, I repeat yes, the concept of actual "QB Vision" in football is realistic but this feature wasn't and was likely only loosely based on any real life counterpart, if at all. Looking at just that feature alone, it's easy for anyone to mistakenly conclude that the feature had a sim premise but the implementation was off, I did so myself in the past, however looking at all the features this entire gen for context, shows a much different, clear picture. Same thing with "fight for the fumble" and "throw a receiver open", just to name a couple, if isolated they seem sim intended with implementation that went astray but no, they worked as intended, to maximize User control, not football realism.

I don't expect or necessarily want everyone to despise what Tiburon has done with football video games this gen like I do but I do want people to at least call a spade a spade. Tiburon has admittedly consistently prioritized User control over realism this gen yet some people still give them "sim" credit, where none is due. I don't begrudge anyone for their opinion of the QB Vision feature but it's what I perceive as the blatant mischaracterization of the feature and next-gen Madden as a whole, as even a genuine attempt at "sim", that irks me.
The Cone was absolutely added to the game as a way to increase the realism of the game, that's how they billed it when it was released. In contrast to your statement the removal of it (not the implementation) was to increase the amount of user control.

Players wanted to run Vick out of the pocket and throw across the field to the wide open guy, that's why so many hated it and that's why it got removed.

They were very specific when they discussed this mode, they knew that unrealistic play was rampant, players would run backwards and all around and then throw to a spot on the field that no QB would actually throw to after making those kinds of moves (because they would be throwing blind). We get to play the game in "god mode" thanks to the camera angle, that's not realistic, the Cone limited this lack of realism, by forcing you to first set then move the cone to the area before you could throw the ball, or risk an awful pass that would float and likely land nowhere near the area.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #82
Rookie

OVR: 2
That crap didn't have a effect on the game I keep the light on my hot read and throw the ball anywhere with accuracy
Old 08-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #83
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21
i think the cone showed EA that going for realism or adding a learning curve to the game was not going to be insanely profitable or well received.

it turned off the casuals and imo from that point they took madden in a different direction.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #84
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: 25 Days of Madden: The Vision Cone

Loved it. Made the game harder to play but made it more realistic. I loved throwing off good stick guys using it. Mix up the guys you leave the cone on and then pump fake or switch receivers and pump fake to throw them off and then R2 switch the cone to the real target and throw it.

It also provided a much, much more realistic separation between average QB's and the elite guys.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #85
Rookie

nosaints26's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman87GT
The Cone was absolutely added to the game as a way to increase the realism of the game, that's how they billed it when it was released. In contrast to your statement the removal of it (not the implementation) was to increase the amount of user control.

Players wanted to run Vick out of the pocket and throw across the field to the wide open guy, that's why so many hated it and that's why it got removed.

They were very specific when they discussed this mode, they knew that unrealistic play was rampant, players would run backwards and all around and then throw to a spot on the field that no QB would actually throw to after making those kinds of moves (because they would be throwing blind). We get to play the game in "god mode" thanks to the camera angle, that's not realistic, the Cone limited this lack of realism, by forcing you to first set then move the cone to the area before you could throw the ball, or risk an awful pass that would float and likely land nowhere near the area.
This sums up my feelings.

Passing is now and will always be the most dry and boring part of gameplay in Madden for me.

The "improved" directional passing and better trajectories helps, but nothing parallels the effect of the vision cone and the extra depth and richness it added to the game on both sides of the ball.

Logically, people who wanted real, strategic football (win or lose) being replicated in Madden really enjoyed this feature.

People who just wanted to win at all costs and continue their mastery of the mediocre passing gameplay hated it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #86
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream6
Hated it!!!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #87
Rookie

OVR: 0

Thought the passing cone was one of the better features Madden came up with. Something to really differentiate the better QBs from the rest. Don't know why they don't keep simple things like this in the game - it could always be turned off for players that don't like it.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #88
#OwnTheFuture

Benz87's Arena

OVR: 8

I really enjoyed this feature and was excited to see it implemented, I was just as disappointed when it was removed. One of my gripes I’ve had with Madden for years, just like many others is the lack of impact players ratings have. I felt this feature did an excellent job differentiating between elite, average and below average quarterbacks. It would be nice if they brought it back with a user option.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »