Home

MLB 2K11 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (PS3/360)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K11 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (PS3/360) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #121
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16
re: MLB 2K11 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (PS3/360)

Another positive that I know some were concerned about:

When attempting a pickoff move, the runner diving back looks smooth and the animation isn't sped up like last year. I tried picking off the fastest runners on each team and it looked good and the speed was normal, unlike 2K10..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #122
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777

When attempting a pickoff move, the runner diving back looks smooth and the animation isn't sped up like last year. I tried picking off the fastest runners on each team and it looked good and the speed was normal, unlike 2K10..
That's good to hear. So far I'm a big fan of the demo.

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -
Old 03-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #123
All Star

RGmoney's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777

Very glad to hear this. Thanks jeffy.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #124
*ld sch**l.

lgkeeper's Arena

OVR: 10

I played 2 games, and have always been a 2k buyer until last year's glitches. I agree with 90% of the comments here, but one thing I noticed in just 5 1/2 innings was tHat there were 2 very unnatural fielding animations.

1) Torres laid down a bunt and Beltre charged it. He was all set up to do a David Wright-ish launch off 1 foot and peg the runner, until he stopped cold, set and threw very steadily to 1st...about a step and a half too late.

2) I hit a strong grounder upmthe middle and Renteria (is that the SF ss, geesh, can't remember) dove to his left and snared it - looked good so far - but then stood up, spun, moved to his back foot and did the Jeter move with the jump and throw. Again, about 2 steps late.

This concerned me.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #125
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14

Played two games, one as each team. Some thoughts (both negative and positive) not in any particular order.

- impossible not to notice how much smoother the game is overall compared to last year. Just moving your guy in the field feels perfect.

- graphics, though not world-beating, are improved and I especially noticed the improved lighting and player models.

- stadium looked much better than last year's, though I would've liked to have seen some clouds instead of just the blue sky (may just be the default weather set for the demo, like the 18mph wind in The Show demo)

- pitching, as expected, is a dream. I try to pitch to the catcher's recommendation 90% of the time (I also use API in The Show) and I had alot of 2-2 and 3-1 counts. Corners can definitely go either way. Not much else to say about the mechanic itself, I like The Show's analog pitching, I LOVE 2K's. Just awesome.

- hitting is so much more improved and it's mainly because of the added frames of animation. In last year's game, it seemed like the large majority of the time you were either right on the ball or way too early or way too late. In the demo, there's alot of in-between stuff too, which leads to choppers and soft liners. Something about this hitting too that just feels...right. I hit a jack with Pat Burrell my first game and though it wasn't a no-doubter by the game's standards (didn't get any special camera) I just KNEW I hit it out based on timing, trajectory etc. Felt great.

- absolutely love the camera after you hit the ball. Probably my favourite addition.

- don't like the size of the numbers and font on the back of jerseys. (Still) way too big.

- really like some of the presentation elements, despite no commentary.

- it was mentioned earlier that in between pitches when you're up the batter steps away and steps back in but the computer doesn't. I found the A.I. batter to do this often, just not every time. Might be something to look for in the final buld.

- I had zero frame rate issues at any point other than foul balls that went straight back into the screen. It was silky smooth.

- transition animations definitely need work but they are better.

- love the fielding and the throwing meter. This aspect of the game is just great all-around. One aspect I didn't like was a particular scenario when throwing. I like to pre-load all my throws when I field. It just makes everything look better. Problem is, if you pre-load any throws in this game where the play takes you away from the bag you're throwing too, it always triggers an off-balanced/spin and jump throw, regardless of how much time you have to get the runner. I would like for the game to determine if it's necessary or not to trigger those animation (like The Show does) and if you DO have enough time, to catch the ball, plant and throw instead of always making an unbalanced throw.

- one other aspect that was also evident in the Phillies/Rockies video that is still in the demo is where there's a grounder that's low but the animation the fielder is doing causes the ball to morph up into the fielder's glove. I'm not going to say this is a fielding problem per se, as it's probably more of an animation issue.

- one aspect about pitching that The Show does that I would like to see incorporated in this series is the breaking of pitches, particularly when it's thrown in a certain spot. I'll try to explain it as best I can. Say you have a righty pitcher and a righty batter. Say you want to throw a curveball. If you were to throw a curveball inside to the righty, the ball would break less than if you were to come across your body a little more and throw a curveball to the outside part of the plate. The Show has the pitches break less in those scenarios (also in scenarios where you throw a breaking pitch up), whereas in this game, the pitch breaks the same amount regardless of location. Small detail but one I'd like to see worked on for next year.

It's been brought up that this game reminds some people of MVP 2005 and I couldn't agree more. Not in the sense that it plays the same or anything like that. But in the fun factor. I find The Show is a sim game of baseball with some fun elements behind it, whereas I find this series to be a fun game with some sim elements behind it (not unlike MVP). For the first time in a while though, and this is assuming the final build comes together like the demo seems to show it will, you can talk about both The Show and the 2K baseball game in the same sentence without sounding silly. I very much enjoyed the demo and look forward to the 8th
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #126
MVP

dodgerblue's Arena

OVR: 19

Played a couple of innings and I have to say:

The good:

I can see that it will be better than last year, and I enjoyed 2k10.

Fielding is going to be fun and challenging. Analog throwing is touchy but gives a realistic result of off line throws. It has brought interest to defense, it's not just about pitching.

2K really knows analog controls. All of the analog features, hitting, pitching and throwing are right on imo. Not comparing it to anyone else's game...just saying it feels right.

Not seeing the frame rate issues others are having.

Not bad, but could improve:

I made two poor throws in my 2 innings, one was ruled an error and the other was scored a hit. Not sure how the game determined what was what but I thing a scorer would have ruled it differently.

Lots of base hits, in 2 innings 9 hits from the two teams total, mostly softer drop in type.

CPU batters swing at alot of pitches and hit alot of them, even if outside strike zone. too early to tell if this will be a problem or not.

Graphics look on par with last year.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #127
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

I'm loving Timmy's split change

Line drives to shallow left or right are now hits instead of being victims of "the football catch" from middle infielders

Last edited by jeffy777; 03-01-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #128
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgkeeper
I played 2 games, and have always been a 2k buyer until last year's glitches. I agree with 90% of the comments here, but one thing I noticed in just 5 1/2 innings was tHat there were 2 very unnatural fielding animations.

1) Torres laid down a bunt and Beltre charged it. He was all set up to do a David Wright-ish launch off 1 foot and peg the runner, until he stopped cold, set and threw very steadily to 1st...about a step and a half too late.

2) I hit a strong grounder upmthe middle and Renteria (is that the SF ss, geesh, can't remember) dove to his left and snared it - looked good so far - but then stood up, spun, moved to his back foot and did the Jeter move with the jump and throw. Again, about 2 steps late.

This concerned me.
You may be not hitting the right green area. There is a box close to the red in which the players will make more hurried throws. Beltre's is larger than most, but if you throw in the green before the box, he doesn't know you want to hurry.

It's a good system of risk vs. reward. If you try to make a hurried throw, you do risk going into the red and blowing it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »