Home

MLB 2K11 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (PS3/360)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K11 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (PS3/360) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #417
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 2K11 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (PS3/360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvman
Thing is 2k's license is soon to run out and when it does i'm afraid this series will be over.
And I think they will be able to pay a reasonable amount for a non-exclusive license and have more room in their budget to flesh the game out to NBA 2K11 levels.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #418
Banned

OVR: 3

I have played the demo and all I gotta say is wow...If this game doesnt have any big bugs in it I think this will be the best baseball game 2k has EVER put out...Also to me just from the demo if the full version is just a tip better it's going to be better than MVP 2005 AND I LOVE THAT GAME LIKE A FAT KID LOVES MCDONALDS.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #419
Pro

OVR: 8

I can't put my finger on it but somehow pitches to the plate look like frisbees or something...like they are floating ever so slightly...
Old 03-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #420
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

And CMH, you hit the nail on the head. The difference is I was kind of aware of these things already. A lot of people on here said that "2K10 just needed to add errors and injuries and it would be a fine playing game." That's a bit true, but it's also an ugly playing game. There are just weird things behind the mechanics of 2K games that don't make a single bit of sense to me. It's that "rough around the edges" kind of atmosphere they always seem to plague baseball games with.

For starters, I really get and dig that people admire the hitting cam, I really do. But honestly, why oh why is this a default camera? I know that none of my friends ever touch any settings (maybe difficulty, but that's it), and it looks and plays like an eyesore out of the box. Strange unnecessary meters, very slow and floaty pitch speeds while the catcher snaps the ball back, and dreaded hitting camera angles. Again, some people like it... I despise it. With a passion, mind you. Can I see? Yeah, a little bit. Why is a third of the screen showing the dirt though? It's just an ugly looking camera is all, and it's the default. If it's a third option in the game, go for it and knock yourself out. But find something else that just seems more "standard" in the options. I don't know why this irks me, probably because I can't change it in the demo. Didn't help that last year I couldn't save my camera options though.

Secondly, things like walks, runners crossing home plate on home runs, and consistencies that won't change based on the situation. Why do they go from some animation and then start cutting corners and stopping on a dime and stuff? I know it's RTP, but can't they trigger the home run animation to have them just smoothly start going back to their bench afterward? It makes little sense to me.

And the thing you said about the batting stances is spot on. I could live with it if we have one hundred generic stances to choose from like SCEA finally put in last year, but we don't. The generic stances were always a head-scratcher, too... who on earth bats like 90% of these generic stances? Where do they come from? I just don't get it. They don't exist anywhere in the baseball world, and they wouldn't even fundamentally be natural or advantageous at the plate.

Then there's the sounds. I know they used to have bat explosions in the past, but somehow I kind of feel that's just still kind of there in a way. They go to baseball games, right? They watch them on TV? Why do some of these sounds exist? They've existed for as long as we've complained about them, that has not changed at all. As far as sounds go, what's up with the umpire? Do they just throw this stuff in to be funny? Again, it just doesn't sound good. I don't know where they come up with half of these things, and since I can't adjust audio levels in the demo it comes off as comical. And well, jumbotrons still have the issue of not filling up the black area. Uhh... just fill up the black area I guess? I'm really not sure how to put it, but for three years it's been like this and it's tough to look past.

Ugh, and then I only wish they had a more accessible hitting mechanic. I mean I dedicated a YouTube video to its problems. I know people say check swings are in the game, but honestly like defensive swinging they feel like premeditated controls you have to use. The classic controls don't help because 1) there's no ability to swing "normally" (it automatically suggests a swing type for you from the list, probably base on the player) and 2) there isn't any kind of aiming, just directing your hit. And last year was simply unplayable with hitting. I tell you, I've played baseball games for years. Everyone here has. And never ever in my life has there ever been such unresponsive swinging. No one else here claims that it existed in 2K10, but my goodness was it a fatal flaw. I'd pop in my disc every so often (which I still own), and say to myself "Hey, this game is fun!" And that's the absolute worst part about it... despite everything that troubles me in this game, it is a damn fun video game. There some fun factor I've always sought in the 2K series that I can't in any other baseball game, and I'm not just talking about The Show but games of the past as well. Sure they're fun, but they wouldn't grab me the same way if they had these nagging issues. So anyway, I tell myself that it's fun but then I get re-reminded that I can't hit the damn ball because my player swings half a second late! And again, remember... it's not TV lag, fellas, I've been gaming for years and playing another baseball game right beside it with completely normal response. 2K10 didn't have it, and it became unplayable that way.

And I could honestly forgive them of all these things, I really could... if they were just more involved with the community. This is the worst part about it. There are things in their own little 2K world where they feel most of these tactics are right and they've been around since 2K3, but they just boggle the game down hard. No sense of urgency on their end to mold their schedule, habits, or implementations around what the customer wants. Sure there are some things that work and I really appreciate them for doing it (small things like variable strike zones and zero-stitch commentary), but it's still completely on their end. There isn't really a tonal human entity we can feel from their lead designer, except when we read they called out SCEA for their right-stick pitching mechanic. Even EA had Ian Cummings on here for a while, I don't know. There are things in this game that, whether big or small, a sense of community and involvement would be terrific. I'm not even talking about OS, their main forum doesn't have it either. The best they have is Ronnie, and man oh man I don't know if I should blame him or not, but his posts and tweets are inaccurate 80% of the time.

And then there's that other bone I have to pick with them backhandedly admitting that their past games weren't worth their $60 price tags with all that was wrong with them, but oh now that they're corrected they are worth it... only to get another comparison the next year. I get it though, they are actually improving the game so I shouldn't really have an issue with this one. And it's not like this is the only game that has this kind of problem, so I guess this isn't the worst of the things. It's just that "developer/community" feedback, or lack thereof, that triggers this for me. I've seen developers admit to things that won't be in the game without being obligatory about it, but I just can't see this with 2K.

It's just become a chore working with 2K, and year after year I love to see what they have to offer but they really lack a sense of fine-tuning and correcting little things among the big things. They are good at going under-the-hood and you can see it in the most recent developer diary, but the visual and audio front we experience is very hard to look past that, behind the glamor, it is still a "2K baseball" game.

I say all of this, and yet I'm still playing the demo. Why? Because the game is fun. I popped it in all the time last year and to be honest, aside from being able to make contact with the ball (which is half of the game, no big deal) I would still play it. 2K10 (and 2K11 from the looks of things) certainly has that short-term appeal and I don't mind owning it if I play a game at a time, even if it's not franchise mode. But man, they really need to nab people for the long-haul. They want to turn things around and they're taking some of the right baby steps, but the bigger picture is the issue. No, I don't want them to can their game or switch developers. If it takes them two years to release the next game, so be it. I'm an avid fan of the games these guys put out, but they always irk me in some way that it just comes off as a chore to get to the reasons why you love the series. People are hailing it as the "one more year and it's golden" kind of series and I think VC would be capable of doing it better than any other company, but they just aren't. I really appreciate the upgrades they have made, but I think in the end all the blame goes on 2K for going through three different development teams before finally handing it off to VC.

Anyway, back to the demo. I'm having a blast with it despite the limitations, but man this game is just easy to pick on. I feel like I needed to actually write one of these out from the last few years of this game's releases.

EDIT: Wow, you know reading my post again I could only think of one thing... 2K is Brian and I am Quagmire.

Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 03-02-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #421
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker
And I think they will be able to pay a reasonable amount for a non-exclusive license and have more room in their budget to flesh the game out to NBA 2K11 levels.
After so many years of putting out a product many levels below the NBA 2k standard, do you think this team really has that type of talent?

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #422
Banned

Any chance we can get a separate PS3 Demo impressions thread? Because it seems like that console has some issues that I don't see on the 360.

It seems 2K has once again chosen to do a cheap import of their game to the PS3 because they don't think they can justify the expense. regardless of why, how it runs on the PS3 is of no importance to most of the people that are considering the game. And if they are considering it for the PS3, they deserve to have a rundown of the issues found on the PS3.

There doesn't seem to be a very efficient separation of who is playing what in this impressions thread.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #423
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkcil
After so many years of putting out a product many levels below the NBA 2k standard, do you think this team really has that type of talent?
Since VC spent many years improving the NBA game to the point it is now, of course I think they can do the same for baseball.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #424
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
And CMH, you hit the nail on the head. The difference is I was kind of aware of these things already. A lot of people on here said that "2K10 just needed to add errors and injuries and it would be a fine playing game." That's a bit true, but it's also an ugly playing game. There are just weird things behind the mechanics of 2K games that don't make a single bit of sense to me. It's that "rough around the edges" kind of atmosphere they always seem to plague baseball games with.

For starters, I really get and dig that people admire the hitting cam, I really do. But honestly, why oh why is this a default camera? I know that none of my friends ever touch any settings (maybe difficulty, but that's it), and it looks and plays like an eyesore out of the box. Strange unnecessary meters, very slow and floaty pitch speeds while the catcher snaps the ball back, and dreaded hitting camera angles. Again, some people like it... I despise it. With a passion, mind you. Can I see? Yeah, a little bit. Why is a third of the screen showing the dirt though? It's just an ugly looking camera is all, and it's the default. If it's a third option in the game, go for it and knock yourself out. But find something else that just seems more "standard" in the options. I don't know why this irks me, probably because I can't change it in the demo. Didn't help that last year I couldn't save my camera options though.

Secondly, things like walks, runners crossing home plate on home runs, and consistencies that won't change based on the situation. Why do they go from some animation and then start cutting corners and stopping on a dime and stuff? I know it's RTP, but can't they trigger the home run animation to have them just smoothly start going back to their bench afterward? It makes little sense to me.

And the thing you said about the batting stances is spot on. I could live with it if we have one hundred generic stances to choose from like SCEA finally put in last year, but we don't. The generic stances were always a head-scratcher, too... who on earth bats like 90% of these generic stances? Where do they come from? I just don't get it. They don't exist anywhere in the baseball world, and they wouldn't even fundamentally be natural or advantageous at the plate.

Then there's the sounds. I know they used to have bat explosions in the past, but somehow I kind of feel that's just still kind of there in a way. They go to baseball games, right? They watch them on TV? Why do some of these sounds exist? They've existed for as long as we've complained about them, that has not changed at all. As far as sounds go, what's up with the umpire? Do they just throw this stuff in to be funny? Again, it just doesn't sound good. I don't know where they come up with half of these things, and since I can't adjust audio levels in the demo it comes off as comical. And well, jumbotrons still have the issue of not filling up the black area. Uhh... just fill up the black area I guess? I'm really not sure how to put it, but for three years it's been like this and it's tough to look past.

Ugh, and then I only wish they had a more accessible hitting mechanic. I mean I dedicated a YouTube video to its problems. I know people say check swings are in the game, but honestly like defensive swinging they feel like premeditated controls you have to use. The classic controls don't help because 1) there's no ability to swing "normally" (it automatically suggests a swing type for you from the list, probably base on the player) and 2) there isn't any kind of aiming, just directing your hit. And last year was simply unplayable with hitting. I tell you, I've played baseball games for years. Everyone here has. And never ever in my life has there ever been such unresponsive swinging. No one else here claims that it existed in 2K10, but my goodness was it a fatal flaw. I'd pop in my disc every so often (which I still own), and say to myself "Hey, this game is fun!" And that's the absolute worst part about it... despite everything that troubles me in this game, it is a damn fun video game. There some fun factor I've always sought in the 2K series that I can't in any other baseball game, and I'm not just talking about The Show but games of the past as well. Sure they're fun, but they wouldn't grab me the same way if they had these nagging issues. So anyway, I tell myself that it's fun but then I get re-reminded that I can't hit the damn ball because my player swings half a second late! And again, remember... it's not TV lag, fellas, I've been gaming for years and playing another baseball game right beside it with completely normal response. 2K10 didn't have it, and it became unplayable that way.

And I could honestly forgive them of all these things, I really could... if they were just more involved with the community. This is the worst part about it. There are things in their own little 2K world where they feel most of these tactics are right and they've been around since 2K3, but they just boggle the game down hard. No sense of urgency on their end to mold their schedule, habits, or implementations around what the customer wants. Sure there are some things that work and I really appreciate them for doing it (small things like variable strike zones and zero-stitch commentary), but it's still completely on their end. There isn't really a tonal human entity we can feel from their lead designer, except when we read they called out SCEA for their right-stick pitching mechanic. Even EA had Ian Cummings on here for a while, I don't know. There are things in this game that, whether big or small, a sense of community and involvement would be terrific. I'm not even talking about OS, their main forum doesn't have it either. The best they have is Ronnie, and man oh man I don't know if I should blame him or not, but his posts and tweets are inaccurate 80% of the time.

And then there's that other bone I have to pick with them backhandedly admitting that their past games weren't worth their $60 price tags with all that was wrong with them, but oh now that they're corrected they are worth it... only to get another comparison the next year. I get it though, they are actually improving the game so I shouldn't really have an issue with this one. And it's not like this is the only game that has this kind of problem, so I guess this isn't the worst of the things. It's just that "developer/community" feedback, or lack thereof, that triggers this for me. I've seen developers admit to things that won't be in the game without being obligatory about it, but I just can't see this with 2K.

It's just become a chore working with 2K, and year after year I love to see what they have to offer but they really lack a sense of fine-tuning and correcting little things among the big things. They are good at going under-the-hood and you can see it in the most recent developer diary, but the visual and audio front we experience is very hard to look past that, behind the glamor, it is still a "2K baseball" game.

I say all of this, and yet I'm still playing the demo. Why? Because the game is fun. I popped it in all the time last year and to be honest, aside from being able to make contact with the ball (which is half of the game, no big deal) I would still play it. 2K10 (and 2K11 from the looks of things) certainly has that short-term appeal and I don't mind owning it if I play a game at a time, even if it's not franchise mode. But man, they really need to nab people for the long-haul. They want to turn things around and they're taking some of the right baby steps, but the bigger picture is the issue. No, I don't want them to can their game or switch developers. If it takes them two years to release the next game, so be it. I'm an avid fan of the games these guys put out, but they always irk me in some way that it just comes off as a chore to get to the reasons why you love the series. People are hailing it as the "one more year and it's golden" kind of series and I think VC would be capable of doing it better than any other company, but they just aren't. I really appreciate the upgrades they have made, but I think in the end all the blame goes on 2K for going through three different development teams before finally handing it off to VC.

Anyway, back to the demo. I'm having a blast with it despite the limitations, but man this game is just easy to pick on. I feel like I needed to actually write one of these out from the last few years of this game's releases.
I maybe be out of the norm, but I will take fun over anything else.

I don't need have a game that is deeper then life itself. I'm getting older and have no time to put in a deep, deep game anymore, I wanna pick and play and have FUN.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »