Home

MLB 2K11 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (PS3/360)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K11 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (PS3/360) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #409
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: MLB 2K11 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (PS3/360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
I played a three inning game last night and I'm just not feeling it this year.

I thought last year's game just needed these improvements. I supported it, bought it and basically only complained about pitching being too easy and the lack of extra base hits. Sure there were some things that didn't work out great like fielding and those ugly soft line drives to infielders, but I could stomach it for the most part.

I can't stomach it any longer. The soft line drives are still there and while it's a nice option in terms of hit variety, it's too frequent to be realistic. You just don't see that kind of contact in a real baseball game. It's nearly impossible for a ball to remain afloat that long low to the ground for that distance.

The pitching mechanic is still the best in the business, but I now find myself not caring for it as much. I just want to throw the darn pitch. And that's a problem for 2K with me because the best thing it has going for it is something I just don't want to do anymore. It's not because it's not amazing or anything. I just don't want to use it anymore.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the graphics on the PS3. I think they are fine enough for me. I can live with them. The jaggies on shadows are downright ugly, but it's not killing the game. However, despite all that, I just can't look at these batting stances anymore. They remind me of that guy that thinks he knows how to do everyone's batting stance and ESPN threw into our faces because he became an internet sensation. The guy is a joke. His batting stances are awful. Cartoonish. That's what I get from MLB 2K. The stances look like they should be right, but they are done so over the top. If a guy's bat wiggles, then he wiggles too much. If he crouches, then he crouches too much. It's excessive and looks like a kid attempted them.

The strength behind pitches, the hammer drop from arm up to follow through is still beautiful. I love the follow through on pitches. I wish more of the animations fit that same motion.

But everything in the game seems too big. Everything is larger than life. The graphics are over done. The flashes are too rapid, too frequent. The stances are extreme. The ball marker looks too big. The arrows displaying the ball's movement are too big. Everything is just too much in your face for me. I wish the game would just let me breathe a bit from the sensory overload.

I guess the thing that I didn't let bother me before are bothering me now. I'm happy the development team has made such huge strides because they really have. I can tell from contact that the gameplay is improved. There are still from random things like a 1B not tagging the baserunner on an errant throw despite being a foot away and instead attempting to step on the bag first - that just shouldn't happen. Guys have to know what's going on - but overall the game is much much improved.

The little things, however, are getting to me now. They are like that person you meet for the first time that everyone tells you is annoying. At first, you're like: "It's cool. They are a bit obnoxious but I can deal with it. That's just their personality." And then you hang out with them and little by little you start seeing more of these annoying habits. You start peeling away at the core and the things that are in your face become that thing which the person stands for in your opinion. And Finally, it's no longer about how nice the person talks to you, or what cool things they can do, but instead about the little annoying things that just crawl in your skin and begin to annoy you so much you can't deal with it anymore.

That's how I feel with MLB 2K now. I just can't do it anymore.
Man, you just summed things up much better than I've been able to. I was the same as you last year, and now that same as you this year.

Oh well I guess.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #410
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I think Blzer is definitely wrong here. Two seamers are still breakpoint control imo. I had pitch movement cranked up in 2K10 last year to make it harder and the movement was definitely breakpoint last year as well. Blzer, if you still have 2K10, crank up that slider and you will see that two seamers are not pinpoint control.
I did man, all the time. Every time I popped in the game I forgot how the different fastball types didn't work like the other pitches. My sliders were jacked up as well. It surprised me how it always seemed to have pinpoint aiming as opposed to breakpoint.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #411
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
Man, you just summed things up much better than I've been able to. I was the same as you last year, and now that same as you this year.

Oh well I guess.
I can see where they are going with the game. The presentation is looking great. The animations have the right goal in mind.

The execution, however, is lacking to me. It wants to make a large step to the right, but it's taking two steps to get there.

I hope they continue to pour their passion and commitment to the game. There's no doubt in my mind that MLB 2K11 is an example of the developers listening to the fans and non fans.

This demo didn't sell it for me this year. I know it's only one three inning game, but I tried to watch one inning of CPU vs. CPU this morning and it just didn't sit well for me.

I will now complain that 2K needs to work hard on the animations. I think that's their next step. The animations need a huge overhaul. Everything from movement to intention to execution. I'm sure it plays good baseball with some issues, but it needs to look like good baseball as well.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #412
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
I played a three inning game last night and I'm just not feeling it this year.

I thought last year's game just needed these improvements. I supported it, bought it and basically only complained about pitching being too easy and the lack of extra base hits. Sure there were some things that didn't work out great like fielding and those ugly soft line drives to infielders, but I could stomach it for the most part.

I can't stomach it any longer. The soft line drives are still there and while it's a nice option in terms of hit variety, it's too frequent to be realistic. You just don't see that kind of contact in a real baseball game. It's nearly impossible for a ball to remain afloat that long low to the ground for that distance.

The pitching mechanic is still the best in the business, but I now find myself not caring for it as much. I just want to throw the darn pitch. And that's a problem for 2K with me because the best thing it has going for it is something I just don't want to do anymore. It's not because it's not amazing or anything. I just don't want to use it anymore.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the graphics on the PS3. I think they are fine enough for me. I can live with them. The jaggies on shadows are downright ugly, but it's not killing the game. However, despite all that, I just can't look at these batting stances anymore. They remind me of that guy that thinks he knows how to do everyone's batting stance and ESPN threw into our faces because he became an internet sensation. The guy is a joke. His batting stances are awful. Cartoonish. That's what I get from MLB 2K. The stances look like they should be right, but they are done so over the top. If a guy's bat wiggles, then he wiggles too much. If he crouches, then he crouches too much. It's excessive and looks like a kid attempted them.

The strength behind pitches, the hammer drop from arm up to follow through is still beautiful. I love the follow through on pitches. I wish more of the animations fit that same motion.

But everything in the game seems too big. Everything is larger than life. The graphics are over done. The flashes are too rapid, too frequent. The stances are extreme. The ball marker looks too big. The arrows displaying the ball's movement are too big. Everything is just too much in your face for me. I wish the game would just let me breathe a bit from the sensory overload.

I guess the thing that I didn't let bother me before are bothering me now. I'm happy the development team has made such huge strides because they really have. I can tell from contact that the gameplay is improved. There are still from random things like a 1B not tagging the baserunner on an errant throw despite being a foot away and instead attempting to step on the bag first - that just shouldn't happen. Guys have to know what's going on - but overall the game is much much improved.

The little things, however, are getting to me now. They are like that person you meet for the first time that everyone tells you is annoying. At first, you're like: "It's cool. They are a bit obnoxious but I can deal with it. That's just their personality." And then you hang out with them and little by little you start seeing more of these annoying habits. You start peeling away at the core and the things that are in your face become that thing which the person stands for in your opinion. And Finally, it's no longer about how nice the person talks to you, or what cool things they can do, but instead about the little annoying things that just crawl in your skin and begin to annoy you so much you can't deal with it anymore.

That's how I feel with MLB 2K now. I just can't do it anymore.

Dragon Ball Z meets baseball!
Old 03-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #413
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants4Natic
Why you salty with Pete, he is saying that we are posting this so 2K can see to fix it. The other guy was saying that it was already posted and what do we expect others to say.

It better be fixed because it was an issue 2 years ago as well
I don't remember that issue in 2K9, and I played that game for a year.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #414
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
I can see where they are going with the game. The presentation is looking great. The animations have the right goal in mind.

The execution, however, is lacking to me. It wants to make a large step to the right, but it's taking two steps to get there.

I hope they continue to pour their passion and commitment to the game. There's no doubt in my mind that MLB 2K11 is an example of the developers listening to the fans and non fans.

This demo didn't sell it for me this year. I know it's only one three inning game, but I tried to watch one inning of CPU vs. CPU this morning and it just didn't sit well for me.

I will now complain that 2K needs to work hard on the animations. I think that's their next step. The animations need a huge overhaul. Everything from movement to intention to execution. I'm sure it plays good baseball with some issues, but it needs to look like good baseball as well.
Yup, absolutely. Animations, and overall graphical continuity between platforms. This will definitely be an interesting series to watching going forward. If they can get this thing on NBA 2K levels... watch out.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #415
Legend

Tommyklaid's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
Yup, absolutely. Animations, and overall graphical continuity between platforms. This will definitely be an interesting series to watching going forward. If they can get this thing on NBA 2K levels... watch out.

If they do, DEFINITELY watch out!
  • MLB The Show 24 - PS5
  • The Elder Scrolls V: SKYRIM - XBOX SERIES X
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #416
MVP

OVR: 13

Thing is 2k's license is soon to run out and when it does i'm afraid this series will be over.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »