Home

2017 Chicago Cubs

This is a discussion on 2017 Chicago Cubs within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-02-2017, 12:09 AM   #25
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: 2017 Chicago Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleacherBum2310
the starting rotation is still the bigger concern imo. it feels like every game they are down 2+ runs after the 1st.
I have a lot of concerns right now. Starting pitching, lack of consistency with the offense, bullpen issues.... I'm not optimistic

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2017, 12:20 AM   #26
All Star

BleacherBum2310's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
I have a lot of concerns right now. Starting pitching, lack of consistency with the offense, bullpen issues.... I'm not optimistic
I'm optimistic with the Lineup and Bullpen. I think those 2 and especially the bullpen I get that I might be in the minority there will be fine but the Rotation just looks bad and the drop in velocity in the starters concerns me...Lester will be fine and Hendricks has had a couple decent starts in a row but after that it's been bad and I dunno if the answer like everyone wants it to be is Montgomery replacing Anderson.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:26 AM   #27
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

I can get on board with all of that.

Starting Pitching: Lester will be good as usual and Arrieta's peripherals suggest he'll go on a bit of a tear after his HR/9 rate corrects a bit. Hendricks has me very worried. His K/9 is down by 1, BB/9 has doubled compared to the last 2 years, he's giving up the gohper ball, and has lost 2 MPH on the fastball. We'll need to get one really good SP to hedge against Hendricks/Lackey issues. The gopher ball has been killing all of our SPs; Arrieta, Lackey, and Hendricks are all over 1.5 HR/9.

Bullpen: Wade Davis will anchor this unit, but we're gonna need to consider replacing one or both of Grimm and Strop if they continue to struggle. They've combined for -0.5 WAR already, lol.

I agree that the Schwarber experiment was interesting, but I'd rather see a more traditional leadoff man like Almora. Heck, if Jason Heyward continues to hit well and approximates his career .346 OBP, maybe he should get a chance.

Luckily for us, we have some time to wait for things to settle--nobody is running away with this division and no team aside from the Cubs has the potential to challenge 90-100 wins.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:36 AM   #28
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

Schwarber just looks uncomfortable as a leadoff hitter; like he's not sure what his approach should be, so he's taking himself out of ABs. I don't know who really works there.. maybe Zobrist or Heyward if he keeps hitting well.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:42 AM   #29
All Star

BleacherBum2310's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
I can get on board with all of that.

Starting Pitching: Lester will be good as usual and Arrieta's peripherals suggest he'll go on a bit of a tear after his HR/9 rate corrects a bit. Hendricks has me very worried. His K/9 is down by 1, BB/9 has doubled compared to the last 2 years, he's giving up the gohper ball, and has lost 2 MPH on the fastball. We'll need to get one really good SP to hedge against Hendricks/Lackey issues. The gopher ball has been killing all of our SPs; Arrieta, Lackey, and Hendricks are all over 1.5 HR/9.

Bullpen: Wade Davis will anchor this unit, but we're gonna need to consider replacing one or both of Grimm and Strop if they continue to struggle. They've combined for -0.5 WAR already, lol.

I agree that the Schwarber experiment was interesting, but I'd rather see a more traditional leadoff man like Almora. Heck, if Jason Heyward continues to hit well and approximates his career .346 OBP, maybe he should get a chance.

Luckily for us, we have some time to wait for things to settle--nobody is running away with this division and no team aside from the Cubs has the potential to challenge 90-100 wins.
I'd probably be a little more patient but if it continues I would be fine with it being heyward because I think Joe likes the Bryant/Rizzo/Zobrist combo so I dont think he would mess that up because Zobrist would be a perfect leadoff guy.

I think Strop will get better have my doubts on Grimm. Also please stop pitching Koji on zero days rest.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:29 PM   #30
MVP

fugazi's Arena

OVR: 15

Bryant needs people on base in front of him.

It's time to move him behind Zobrist or Rizzo, at least...or put Heyward in front of Bryant...
Old 05-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 0

You Cubbies better strap yourselves in because at 7 PM Friday the Baby Bombers are taking over Wriggly and yer gonna think the sky is falling in on ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2017, 09:26 PM   #32
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman1528
You Cubbies better strap yourselves in because at 7 PM Friday the Baby Bombers are taking over Wriggly and yer gonna think the sky is falling in on ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
If they're taking over Wriggly, then Cubs fans don't need to worry.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »