Home

MLB 12 The Show - All Hitting Tips

This is a discussion on MLB 12 The Show - All Hitting Tips within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: MLB 12 The Show - All Hitting Tips

It won't be relevant unless you're using zone analog, but something that helps me is beginning the AB w/ the left stick pressed 3/4 up. My brain must have some disconnect that does not allow it to hit pitches thrown high in the zone. My thumb always wants to jerk down (probably residual neuro-damage from striking out so many times on bottom zone fastballs in earlier Show iterations).

So starting 3/4 up allows me the leeway to recognize that high fastball that I would never reach had I started in the neutral position...and my reaction time to low balls is still good enough to get to the low fastballs.

My advice (for those using zones and especially if you're having consistent issues hitting a certain zone) is to experiment with initial left stick positions. One of the biggest benefits of starting with tension on the stick is that the spring mechanism returns you to neutral very quickly and precisely whereas beginning from neutral doesn't afford you any mechanical advantage or additional zone coverage.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #26
Rookie

OSfan093's Arena

OVR: 3

Hambones - You can hold R2 and move the right analog to influence the ball to a certain direction. up is fly ball, you can pull the ball or go oppo, or you can aim down for a ground ball.

Has anyone else verified this? i've never heard this about analog and i didn't see it in the manual or controls or anything.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:02 AM   #27
MVP

phant030's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSfan093
Hambones - You can hold R2 and move the right analog to influence the ball to a certain direction. up is fly ball, you can pull the ball or go oppo, or you can aim down for a ground ball.

Has anyone else verified this? i've never heard this about analog and i didn't see it in the manual or controls or anything.
Yea, it's called swing influence. If you're late on pitches, you can use the pull ball to help you get around on pitches, too.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 1

Great tips guys, if you don't mind, do you think you guys could categorize your tips when you post them? It'll help me on my original post so people can go right to the type of hitting tips they need. Thanks! Keep them coming, this thread will be very helpful if you guys keep adding on!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #29
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phant030
Yea, it's called swing influence. If you're late on pitches, you can use the pull ball to help you get around on pitches, too.
Hmmm.. This is a interesting way to look at it. My problem is that I am early alot of the time. Maybe I should just influence to the opposite side to see if I can sneak in some hits
Old 03-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #30
Rookie

boblight24's Arena

OVR: 4

Am I missing something?

I use Timing, with Guess Pitch 1/4 and for a guy like McCann I'll guess Fastball/High and that's what the pitch is and I swing and it's a grounder to the 2B, I look at the Swing Information after the pitch and it says Perfect/Wheelhouse. To me that means it should be out in the right field stands, not a little nubber to the 2B. Is there something else I need to be doing when I swing?

FYI - I'm hitting on Veteran using CON/PWR/SOL of 4/5/6.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #31
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblight24
Am I missing something?

I use Timing, with Guess Pitch 1/4 and for a guy like McCann I'll guess Fastball/High and that's what the pitch is and I swing and it's a grounder to the 2B, I look at the Swing Information after the pitch and it says Perfect/Wheelhouse. To me that means it should be out in the right field stands, not a little nubber to the 2B. Is there something else I need to be doing when I swing?

FYI - I'm hitting on Veteran using CON/PWR/SOL of 4/5/6.
Don't use guess pitch. I used to use it all the time but weened myself off of it and have been doing even better than I was before. I also use timing and it seems to work better if you don't do any guessing but reacting to whatever pitch it is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #32
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

Oh, while I am learning the strike zone I usually turn check swing appeals off. It's not "sim" but damn that, it allows me to see more pitches and work more counts. I use timing hitting so its very helpful. Like I said, it's not "sim" but it does help.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »