Home

MLB 12 The Show - All Hitting Tips

This is a discussion on MLB 12 The Show - All Hitting Tips within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
MLB 12 The Show - All Hitting Tips

Thought I'd make a thread on all hitting tips for MLB 12 The Show. I've been having difficulty hitting this year, which makes it a lot more enjoyable when I do get a hit. So any tips for hitting including:

-Best camera angle
-Pitch speed slider
-Sliders in general
-Timing hitting
-Analog hitting
-Zone hitting
-Zone and analog hitting
-General hitting tips
-Where to keep your eyes
-Rookie, Veteran, All-Star, HoF, and Legend difficulty hitting
-Which counts to lay off or swing on
-Best way to hit breaking pitches
-How to read breaking balls and changeups
-ETC..

As you can see, there's a whole lot we can get from this. So I'm asking the more experienced Show hitters, and others in general to share your hitting tips so everyone can have better success at the plate.

EDIT:

General Hitting Tips:
dalger21 - The key to being a good hitter in The Show is to have patience. What you have to do is watch the flight of the ball. If it comes out straight then you know it's a fastball. If it comes out in a "floating" motion then you know it will be an offspeed pitch. Don't use guess pitch.

Panthro63 - Be patient, and stay calm. Especially with guys on base, don't be embarrassed to call time a few times to take the pitcher out of rhythm - and to give yourself a breath. If I'm down 0-2 against a tough pitcher, I'll use Guess Pitch 1/6 and choose straight down/fastball. Also, look at the pitcher's ratings for BB/K. If he walks a lot of guys, get in the habit of taking the first pitch or two.

pistolpete - The key to hitting is to swing at pitches you can whomp, and don't swing at those you cannot whomp. Also, just because a pitch is going to be a strike on the corner doesn't mean you have to swing at it.

Hambones - You can hold R2 and move the right analog to influence the ball to a certain direction. up is fly ball, you can pull the ball or go oppo, or you can aim down for a ground ball.

N51_rob - Don't be afraid to strike out looking, would be my tip. A good way to see more pitches and sometimes use the info learned to draw more walks, see more pitches, see the same pitch in a similar location is to take pitches. While I am learning the strike zone I usually turn check swing appeals off.

Sinner618 - Watch the confidence meter located next to each pitchers pitch. If he's given up a few hits lately on a changeup, the confidence bar for changeup is probably lower then say his fastball. Once in a while, try guessing the lowest confidence pitch he has, cause if you guess right, you can gollywhomp that sucka. So that's my hitting and pitching tip: watch the confidence meter of each pitch.

letsgopens66 - 1. Don't be afraid to take strikes. 2. 2-0, 3-1, and 2-1 counts are your friend. 3. During the game, find your weakness and address it. 4. Use contact swing to fight off two strike pitches.

dkrause1971 - My tip is record what you doing. I have a sheet where i write the following information down after the game. The teams playing. The pitcher i faced. The CPU pitching sliders i used for control, consistency and strike frequency. Then Strike %, chased, swung, fly balls, ground balls, fouls and total pitches.

Home Run Tips:
Matrix - For home runs:
1: Use Pure Analog (either one)
2: R2+Up for Fly-ball
3: Power swing
4: Stride just early (practice in HR derby, then get a feel for actual pitcher wind ups)

Zone Analog Hitting:
Avarice - Beginning the AB w/ the left stick pressed 3/4 up. So starting 3/4 up allows me the leeway to recognize that high fastball that I would never reach had I started in the neutral position. My advice (for those using zones and especially if you're having consistent issues hitting a certain zone) is to experiment with initial left stick positions.

Camera Angle Tips:
dkrause1971 - I would suggest changing batting view. I use catcher with the view zoomed in a bit.

Last edited by titan23; 03-20-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: MLB 12 The Show - All Hitting Tips

The key to being a good hitter in The Show (or any baseball game tbh) is to have patient. You can't swing at every pitch that looks good coming out of the pitchers hand. Otherwise, you will spend your time frustrated because you're striking out so much or hitting weak grounders.

My RttS player always has had a high walk total simply because I don't chase pitches all that often. The key is to recognize the speed and flight of the ball. I know it is easier said than done but it is the truth. For instance, the change up is probably the pitch that people have the hardest time laying off, me included. If someone is throwing 96 then has a change up that is at 81, that's gonna be a tough match up. What you have to do is watch the flight of the ball. If it comes out straight then you know it's a fastball. If it comes out in a "floating" motion then you know it will be an offspeed pitch.

Again, the key to it all is patience. Vary your swing pattern. Don't always swing at fast balls simply because they look good. In the previous games with my RttS player, I normally average about 100 walks per year but with 200+ hits. It's all about waiting for your pitch to hit and taking advantage of it or simply taking the walk. (just like in real life to be honest)
Old 03-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Rookie

Thank you for that tip. Should I update the first post with all the tips so people won't have to search for it?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan23
Thank you for that tip. Should I update the first post with all the tips so people won't have to search for it?
That's a good idea. I always have issues hitting.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
Rookie

Once we get more tips I will update the first post.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Be patient, stay calm and don't let your nerves get to you.
Especially with guys on base, don't be embarrassed to call time a few times to take the pitcher out of rhythm - and to give yourself a breath.

If I'm down 0-2 against a tough pitcher, I'll use Guess Pitch 1/6 and choose straight down/fastball. This helps me avoid striking out on junk in the dirty just because the depth perception is off.

Also, look at the pitcher's ratings for BB/K. If he walks a lot of guys, get in the habit of taking the first pitch or two.

That's how I've been surviving!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Ill just give my HR hitting tips:

1: Use Pure Analog (either one)
2: R2+Up for Fly-ball
3: Power swing
4: Stride just early (practice in HR derby, then get a feel for actual pitcher wind ups)

It has helped me out so far.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger21
The key to being a good hitter in The Show (or any baseball game tbh) is to have patient. You can't swing at every pitch that looks good coming out of the pitchers hand. Otherwise, you will spend your time frustrated because you're striking out so much or hitting weak grounders.

My RttS player always has had a high walk total simply because I don't chase pitches all that often. The key is to recognize the speed and flight of the ball. I know it is easier said than done but it is the truth. For instance, the change up is probably the pitch that people have the hardest time laying off, me included. If someone is throwing 96 then has a change up that is at 81, that's gonna be a tough match up. What you have to do is watch the flight of the ball. If it comes out straight then you know it's a fastball. If it comes out in a "floating" motion then you know it will be an offspeed pitch.

Again, the key to it all is patience. Vary your swing pattern. Don't always swing at fast balls simply because they look good. In the previous games with my RttS player, I normally average about 100 walks per year but with 200+ hits. It's all about waiting for your pitch to hit and taking advantage of it or simply taking the walk. (just like in real life to be honest)
Wow! That is a LOT of walks and a lot of hits. A couple of questions:

1. When you say you only hit "your pitch" what is "your pitch"? Does it vary? If so, why/how?

2. I've never played RttS, only season mode on All Star with timed hitting. One of the usual complaints about not drawing walks is that the CPU doesn't throw enough balls. Is there something different about RttS or are most of us not approaching our at-bats with the proper strategy?

Thanks!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »