Home

'17 Moonshot HR's

This is a discussion on '17 Moonshot HR's within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #65
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: '17 Moonshot HR's

One of the more extreme examples I think I can provide in this thread. This was with CPU contact down to 3, believe it or not.

Wind was blowing out 11 mph to right, and I'm sure that played a part. But Aoki's power rating vs lefties is 27. Yikes.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #66
MVP

OVR: 31

I'd say this was a moon-shot for sure.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #67
Rookie

jmel07's Arena

OVR: 0

Yup that's nuts, did you happen to get the Showcast stuff displayed?

I think there's just something really off with exit velo on hard contact meatballs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
One of the more extreme examples I think I can provide in this thread. This was with CPU contact down to 3, believe it or not.

Wind was blowing out 11 mph to right, and I'm sure that played a part. But Aoki's power rating vs lefties is 27. Yikes.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #68
Rookie

jmel07's Arena

What was the wind on that one?

Because the launch angle plus exit velo should have been around 455 feet with that one at the elevation of PNC Park.

The hang time should have been much closer to 6 seconds as well. Basically it got another second plus of hangtime, had to have been wind (I'd guess) and I'd guess around 12-15 mph.

What's odd is that even at that launch angle and 15mph wind, you'd still only get about 5.75 seconds of hang time and see the ball travel ~530 feet.

So something else is "holding the ball up in the air" too long. Backspin is only improved by about 45% per this fun article, and I'm using around 2400rpms for the backspin.

I can't find a way to get 7 plus seconds of hangtime with any reasonable physics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy
I'd say this was a moon-shot for sure.

Last edited by jmel07; 04-03-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:00 PM   #69
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmel07
Yup that's nuts, did you happen to get the Showcast stuff displayed?

I think there's just something really off with exit velo on hard contact meatballs.
Unfortunately it happened while I was away from the PS4 and my recorded video time limit had already passed. If there was a Showtrack I didn't see it.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:08 PM   #70
Rookie

jmel07's Arena

No problem. As I detailed in my last post, there's something going on with hangtime for sure. I'd expect a patch at some point, which is why I'm just going to have fun with my current slider set and enjoy the bombs for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Unfortunately it happened while I was away from the PS4 and my recorded video time limit had already passed. If there was a Showtrack I didn't see it.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:47 PM   #71
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

I've finished my CPU experiment with default sliders (hopefully starting a thread tonight or so), and I think my impression hasn't changed, at least on the basis of CPU vs. CPU games without any user input.

While the HR frequency is slightly inflated from the MLB average, it's not that far off from the game's number from past years. And the overall offense (in terms of batting average, BABIP), it's actually slightly down around .230 - .240 range, which for some reason has been the case since MLB 14 or so.

If I were to bet a rent payment (I do not own a house), the most likely culprit is the unnaturally extended hang time due to newly introduced backspin like what jmel07 mentioned. I like how the game now has a more solid concept of spins, so I don't think having the new physics itself is bad, but I think it still needs some tuning here and there.

So I'm not right now in a bandwagon of those who claim that the HR frequency itself is very inflated for arcade effects... it is inflated but not to that extend IMO, because aside from HRs, CPU offense is actually a little down.

What is going on seems that, due to the relatively pronounced backspin, those fly balls that have long hang time regardless of the newly introduced backspin, tend to travel even further this year. So in this years game, some of those long fly balls which used to be a relatively routine outs in the outfield tend to become HRs, inflating HRs a bit (but not too much). But what have been monster shots, no doubters in the past, are probably now like Godzilla on PED, and those are the ones people are gasping over as unrealistic.

And due to longer hang time, winds probably have larger effects than we've seen in the past as well.

Now if you are in control of the game and are good at hitting big fly balls (such as a zone hitter who is adept a swinging a bit under the pitch), I could see you hitting bombs quite a bit more than you are used to.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2017, 09:55 PM   #72
MVP

forme95's Arena

I've seen a few games opening day that had some pretty impressive moonshot homeruns today

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »