Home

'17 Moonshot HR's

This is a discussion on '17 Moonshot HR's within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-31-2017, 03:27 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: '17 Moonshot HR's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmel07
If you can grab all the Showtrack data when available, that would be awesome.

I have no doubt that when you're getting 407ft HRs that the exit velocities and launch angles associated will be correct. I've plugged the ones I've gotten into my spreadsheet for distance calcuations based on trajectory and the calculation itself is fine. It's when the Exit Velocity from Brett Gardner is 117mph that you get a crazy moonshot.

You can look at real player Statcast data here

It's really easy to go find a player from last year, click the "download CSV data" (last link in the column) and look.

Gardner for example in his 7 tracked HRs last year had an average exit velocity of 102mph with an average launch angle between 26 and 27 degrees. I know I saw him hit one last night at 113mph which just isn't possible for him (this might have been on Armor & Swords Twitch stream).

Gardner didn't put a ball in play last year with more than 107mph of exit velocity and those were mostly line drives and ground balls.
In regards to exit velocity and distance, I saw a video on Twitter of Brandon Crawford hitting a 529 foot BOMB! The exit velocity for that was only 107 MPH. It just seemed to carry and carry. Maybe this is because they wanna show off ShowTrack? Some of the ball physics seem to have gone out the window a bit. No one should be hitting a 530 foot homer, let alone Brandon Crawford!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2017, 03:28 PM   #42
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Doesn't the power slider control how hard the ball is hit (ie, exit velocity)?
Old 03-31-2017, 03:31 PM   #43
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Doesn't the power slider control how hard the ball is hit (ie, exit velocity)?
Yes, directly. Lowering it lowers hit speed.

There's no question that my HR distances go down when I lower the power slider. I'm just concerned with what other parts of the balance I'm breaking when I do that (also, since it lowers hit speed it messes up Showtrack displays as well).
Old 03-31-2017, 03:41 PM   #44
Rookie

jmel07's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed21
In regards to exit velocity and distance, I saw a video on Twitter of Brandon Crawford hitting a 529 foot BOMB! The exit velocity for that was only 107 MPH. It just seemed to carry and carry. Maybe this is because they wanna show off ShowTrack? Some of the ball physics seem to have gone out the window a bit. No one should be hitting a 530 foot homer, let alone Brandon Crawford!
I'd be curious to have gotten the wind speed, park, launch angle for that because I've yet to see an unrealistic calculation. Lots of crazy distances, but to put that into perspective. Nolan Arenado hit a couple 107mph HRs last year and none over 460ft which includes a ball he hit in Colorado. I'd have placed my money on lots of wind on that Crawford HR.

Crawford did hit two balls at 107mph last year (one HR, one double) with flyball launch angles, but generally speaking his HRs averaged 101.7; so even what you stated is way too high for Crawford on exit velo.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:00 PM   #45
Pro

MLB14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aensland
Been doing a lot of slider testing the past couple days and I'm now convinced this is an issue caused by the new ball physics which helps carry the ball even farther than it should. With the power slider set to 1, the only difference I saw was home run frequency. But the distances were still way too high, consistently over 440ft from non-power guys.
I agree with this. It takes a very long time to tweak in-air ball physics to be realistic.

Also, some of the exit velocities are very high. Here, look at this, guys:

http://m.mlb.com/statcast/leaderboard#hr-distance

Look at that. Not one of 'em is over 120mph. I'm developing a HR derby game right now, but I'm making the ball physics very realistic and data like this has to be considered.

Last edited by MLB14; 03-31-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2017, 04:41 PM   #46
Rookie

jmel07's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB14
I agree with this. It takes a very long time to tweak in-air ball physics to be realistic.

Also, some of the exit velocities are very high. Here, look at this, guys:

http://m.mlb.com/statcast/leaderboard#hr-distance

Look at that. Not one of 'em is over 120mph. I'm developing a HR derby game right now, but I'm making the ball physics very realistic and data like this has to be considered.
Yes, without a doubt it's the exit velocity and it's correlation to the hitters power rating. There's something off here. If the Power slider can correct it without breaking the total number of homeruns, that's great, but I don't think anyone has tested it. Anyone up for simming a couple years and analyzing the data with CPU/Human power set to 0/0, 1/1, 2/2.

I'd be interested to see things like the league batting averages, HRs, 2Bs.... because exit velocity affects all those things. I'm worried that tweaking power down too far will result in tons of ground balls turning into outs that should get through (we saw this in SPADES in MLB 16). I was actually happy to see the heavy ground balls going through for hits, but again, I've run no season long tests to check for batting averages either.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:39 PM   #47
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Yes, without a doubt it's the exit velocity and it's correlation to the hitters power rating. There's something off here. If the Power slider can correct it without breaking the total number of homeruns, that's great, but I don't think anyone has tested it. Anyone up for simming a couple years and analyzing the data with CPU/Human power set to 0/0, 1/1, 2/2.

I'd be interested to see things like the league batting averages, HRs, 2Bs.... because exit velocity affects all those things. I'm worried that tweaking power down too far will result in tons of ground balls turning into outs that should get through (we saw this in SPADES in MLB 16). I was actually happy to see the heavy ground balls going through for hits, but again, I've run no season long tests to check for batting averages either.
The power slider doesn't have any effect on sims. You'd have to play them out in-game. The ones that matter (I believe) based on last year are Stamina, Hook, Injury, and Trade. So if you find something in the hitting sliders that fixes the distances but doesn't break in-game balance, it's valid.

TBH I'm kind of waiting for Nomo to start his CPU vs CPU testing because that always gives a good baseline for how the game operates (user vs CPU results will always vary based on user skill). We'll see if he's noticing trends like this over a large sample size, and we'll have a better idea of where to adjust from there. In the meantime I'm just observing stuff while I play the game - I'm still having a ton of fun with this game despite the issues I've seen.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:56 PM   #48
Rookie

WhiteBunny's Arena

Quote:

It's short sample size, but in the two games i've played with Power slider 2 for both CPU/User i've seen a ton of ground balls turned into outs. Only two games, by the way.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »