Home

TheWarmWind's Impact Sliders 2019

This is a discussion on TheWarmWind's Impact Sliders 2019 within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-18-2019, 12:06 AM   #73
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: TheWarmWind's Impact Sliders 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown
@TheWarmwind I hope things are ok on your side !!?
I mean, they could be worse. Did manage to play a couple games today... for the first time since the flood, but you know, there are worse things in life.

V5 does feel good though. I might just post it up in a day or two without the proper sample size.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:59 PM   #74
MVP

TripleCrown's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I mean, they could be worse. Did manage to play a couple games today... for the first time since the flood, but you know, there are worse things in life.

V5 does feel good though. I might just post it up in a day or two without the proper sample size.
I’ve been victim of flooding like 10y ago and i can feel the pain. People don’t always realize how much damage water can create and all the work required for cleaning.

Good news you’ve been able to relax a bit playing the Show :-)
Old 07-22-2019, 11:00 AM   #75
Banned

Will hope you are ok, moving forward.
Thank you for the sliders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2019, 09:52 AM   #76
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Version 5 now in the OP. I've only managed to get about 10 full games on it, and I've basically dropped my test franchise due to time constraints, but so far, in those 10 games, it's felt really good.

Edit: Also, some of the slider descriptions have been corrected or changed in order to clarify what I meant.

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 07-24-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:51 AM   #77
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Some notes on V5.

Timing Parity: I have some concerns surrounding the parity between the player and the CPU surrounding timing. Everything else seems to be even Steven, but timing seems a little off. If you recall, I actually had a difference between Human and CPU timing in the beta versions of this slider set, and after a larger sample size I'm starting to wonder if my initial instinct was correct. Was hoping for more results from the community. I'll take both statistical results in the form of human vs CPU strikeout ratios and just plain anecdotal feelings about it.

I'd rather get a larger sample size before tuning the two settings differently. I am concerned that turning timing down to 0 will make the CPU a little toothless.

Stolen Base success rate: Baserunning at 10 has been balanced out successfully by the buffs to reaction time and throw power. I'm still unsure that balance is maintained in the stealer/catcher interaction though, but I need more evidence before tuning down basestealing. It's certainly not impossible to gun down a stealer, I'm just unsure about the ratio. Again I would love hard stats from the community, but feelings are more than good enough.

Contact slider: When it comes down to bat exit velocity floors, the contact slider needs to be turned down even more. According to my testing, it needs to be at 0, but that setting causes a whole slew of issues outside of bat exit velocity floors, mostly pertaining to getting good results on good inputs. According to my testing, raising solid hits and timing is not enough to compensate for the effect, as there are too many swing and misses on good timing for my hybrid style of sliders. Check swings also become too difficult for my liking.

I may consider making a full sim slider set later.

Error slider: If I could turn this slider up to 14, I would. Heck if it could go all the way to 20 it might still not be enough. It does exactly what I say it does, it can help prevent the buff to reactions and fielder run speed from taking over the game. It allows great fielders to unlock their full potential more often and make highlight plays while mediocre to poor fielders will have that proc less often. But it still happens too often. The slider, the effect, still isn't high enough, and once the error calculation engine adjusts (usually takes 4 or 5 games), neither is the error rate.

I'm still only 1.2 errors a game. That's counting both teams, AND throwing errors, which is unrelated to the sliders or effects I'm talking about.

In summary: Fielding is a little too powerful and it's not my fault. It's not oppressive thanks to the power and baserunning buffs, but it is just a little bit overtuned, especially when it comes to effective ranges.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:06 AM   #78
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Currently in the franchise testing phase of a V6. I don't want to get to excited (I've been fooled before), but I feel like I'm getting close to locking in on my final sliders.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #79
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

I'm about a game or two away from releasing V6. Unless results fall of a cliff, you should expect it sometime over the weekend.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-11-2019, 01:28 PM   #80
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

V6 is in the OP and uploaded in the vault.

Some notes on V6:

Baserunner steal ability did need to be tuned down a bit.

Wind needed to be tuned down at 10. For the most part it was good, especially when there was a head or cross-wind. However the tailwind effect was too good, especially in parks like Yankee Stadium. 9 is a good compromise, though if I could individually tune the different impacts I would.

Pitch staminas at 7 was producing some wonderful overall pitch count totals. However, pitchers were still losing effectiveness on their main pitch just a bit too early. This not only made staying in hard for a hot starter, but more importantly heavily impacted CPU management decisions. At 8, pitchers will (on average, there is a lot of variance) lose effectiveness on their main pitch (FB, offspeed loses at a different rate) at when their pitch count is about equal to their stamina (assuming they started with full stamina). So a 73 Stamina pitcher will on average lose effectiveness on their 4SFB on the 73rd pitch.

There are two upsides to this:

1. Pitchers are much easier to scout.

2. CPU managers are more willing to cycle in new pitchers after an inning or two if their total bullpen has longer pitch effectiveness. On lower staminas, it seems like the CPU mentality is just "Well my bullpen is going to lose effectiveness anyways, might as well blow all that all on one reliever and save the rest of my bullpen for tomorrow."

Errors

Seems any time any of the errors sliders are touched, the error engine resets. Even if you were using V5, expect a clown show in the field for a game or two as the engine re-acclimates.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »