Home

Help with stat degradation in RTTS at high level.

This is a discussion on Help with stat degradation in RTTS at high level. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Help with stat degradation in RTTS at high level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCoolMan24
Well apparently it does matter because I am a D potential and it cost me 350. You are an A potential and it costs you 205.

Apparently having a bad showcase hurts you a lot more than just being a later RD draft pick....
Potential doesn't affect training point costs, as far as I can tell. Point costs are affected by position. Cheaper for SS, 2B, and CF to upgrade Speed than corner players or catchers. 1B is cheapest to upgrade power, C is cheaper to upgrade arm, etc.

Last edited by thescruple; 05-09-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #58
Rookie

dvazquez190's Arena

OVR: 2

First of all let's just be clear. The system that is in place currently is as close to perfect as it's going to get and should NOT be changed. Here is why

- Potential effecting the amount of points it takes to raise a skill is logical. If you are a D potential player then that means your talent level is below other people's talent level. Chances are with a D potential to succeed in the major leagues you will need to have one thing you are really good at and stick to it. For example you don't need to be the most talented person in the world to be a knuckle ball pitcher, you just need to excel at using that one pitch. Same thing if you are used primarily as a pinch runner. Most of your points will be dedicated to your speed and base running attributes.

- No one is perfect. If you are trying to create the perfect player then RTTS isn't for you. You might as well create a perfect player, enter franchise, and player lock him. Every player in baseball has areas they shine in. Even the best players. No one player is perfect in every aspect. Key in on attributes that your player shines in and stack points for those attributes. You don't need to be great in all areas, you will gain more then enough points to keep other attributes that you don't excel in at a respectable level. If you aren't getting enough points then that means you aren't a good enough player to sustain those skills and your attributes should in fact take a dive. If you are a 99 overall player and aren't getting over 75 points a game EASILY then you aren't really a 99 overall player.

- Stubs should only be used as a crutch. I haven't spent a stub yet and I don't plan too. I plan to be a 90+ player throughout my career and I will be more then happy with that.

People need to stop worrying about their attributes and just focus on playing the game.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #59
MVP

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvazquez190
First of all let's just be clear. The system that is in place currently is as close to perfect as it's going to get and should NOT be changed. Here is why

- Potential effecting the amount of points it takes to raise a skill is logical. If you are a D potential player then that means your talent level is below other people's talent level. Chances are with a D potential to succeed in the major leagues you will need to have one thing you are really good at and stick to it. For example you don't need to be the most talented person in the world to be a knuckle ball pitcher, you just need to excel at using that one pitch. Same thing if you are used primarily as a pinch runner. Most of your points will be dedicated to your speed and base running attributes.

- No one is perfect. If you are trying to create the perfect player then RTTS isn't for you. You might as well create a perfect player, enter franchise, and player lock him. Every player in baseball has areas they shine in. Even the best players. No one player is perfect in every aspect. Key in on attributes that your player shines in and stack points for those attributes. You don't need to be great in all areas, you will gain more then enough points to keep other attributes that you don't excel in at a respectable level. If you aren't getting enough points then that means you aren't a good enough player to sustain those skills and your attributes should in fact take a dive. If you are a 99 overall player and aren't getting over 75 points a game EASILY then you aren't really a 99 overall player.

- Stubs should only be used as a crutch. I haven't spent a stub yet and I don't plan too. I plan to be a 90+ player throughout my career and I will be more then happy with that.

People need to stop worrying about their attributes and just focus on playing the game.
If they want to make it hard to be a great player with 90+ every attribute, then there was nothing wrong with the old system of you having to fill a giant progress bar with points to add a point to that skill.

Make it harder to improve an attribute, but easier to maintain that attribute.

It makes more sense to make it hard to BECOME a great player than it being hard to MAINTAIN being a great player. Without spending stubs, it is impossible to maintain all 99 ratings. I'd rather have it be hard to REACH all 99 ratings.

Mike Trout, for instance, is a rare player that is great at a lot of things. But that doesn't mean he should deteriorate at a quicker rate than other players, it just means actually being as good as Trout should be the rare part.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #60
Rookie

dvazquez190's Arena

The old way didn't make it hard to become a great player. I find upgrading attributes in the older games just as easy as it is in this game. In some cases even easier because you were given more points based on goals you achieved. I find you get less overall points in this game making things a little more time consuming. Also it should be impossible to maintain a 99 in all attributes. Who in baseball history has had a 99 in all attributes. No one. So why should you be any different. If you want to play with a perfect player play franchise with one and player lock. That's not what RTTS is about. RTTS is an attempt at a realistic career. As for Mike Trout do you realize how good he was to start his career. He was a five tool player who was quickly pushed through the minor leagues and has been on a tear in the Majors. Players like him and Strausburg started out uber talented and polished their game for the majors. If you put up similar numbers as Mike Trout then you will gain enough points in the game to maintain those attributes, without a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCoolMan24
If they want to make it hard to be a great player with 90+ every attribute, then there was nothing wrong with the old system of you having to fill a giant progress bar with points to add a point to that skill.

Make it harder to improve an attribute, but easier to maintain that attribute.

It makes more sense to make it hard to BECOME a great player than it being hard to MAINTAIN being a great player. Without spending stubs, it is impossible to maintain all 99 ratings. I'd rather have it be hard to REACH all 99 ratings.

Mike Trout, for instance, is a rare player that is great at a lot of things. But that doesn't mean he should deteriorate at a quicker rate than other players, it just means actually being as good as Trout should be the rare part.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #61
E=MC(2)

Mitchrapp's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescruple
Potential doesn't affect training point costs, as far as I can tell. Point costs are affected by position. Cheaper for SS, 2B, and CF to upgrade Speed than corner players or catchers. 1B is cheapest to upgrade power, C is cheaper to upgrade arm, etc.
That makes sense.

Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Tigers
Michigan Football

I didn't mean to hit the umpire with the dirt, but I did mean to hit that bastard in the stands. -- Babe Ruth

Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster. -- Joe Adcock
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #62
MVP

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvazquez190
The old way didn't make it hard to become a great player. I find upgrading attributes in the older games just as easy as it is in this game. In some cases even easier because you were given more points based on goals you achieved. I find you get less overall points in this game making things a little more time consuming. Also it should be impossible to maintain a 99 in all attributes. Who in baseball history has had a 99 in all attributes. No one. So why should you be any different. If you want to play with a perfect player play franchise with one and player lock. That's not what RTTS is about. RTTS is an attempt at a realistic career. As for Mike Trout do you realize how good he was to start his career. He was a five tool player who was quickly pushed through the minor leagues and has been on a tear in the Majors. Players like him and Strausburg started out uber talented and polished their game for the majors. If you put up similar numbers as Mike Trout then you will gain enough points in the game to maintain those attributes, without a problem.
You still aren't getting it.

I'm not saying it should be easy to become a 99+ rating player, I'm saying it should be HARDER to get there, but EASIER to maintain. You don't see many players improve over their career, then get worse, then improve again, then get worse, then improve again. You see them slowly get better, peak, and then slowly decline.

The reason it was so easy to get good in previous games was because while you were improving 1 attribute, you were simultaneously improve 1 or 2 other attributes along with it. That part NEEDED to be removed, and it was. So now it is harder to build attributes, which is a good thing.

HOWEVER. In last year's game, you rarely saw your attributes decline at a young age because you were able to add the minimum 40 pts to any attribute to stop it from falling any further. That is what NEEDS to be in this year's game. It's not realistic to see a player roller coaster in ability over a career. They could roller coaster in results, sure, that's going to always happen. But you don't see guys like Mike Trout, Billy Hamitlon, Peter Bourjos get slower all the sudden, then get fast again, then get slower again. You don't see Mike Stanton have the possibly the most power in the big leagues, then he starts to lose distance on his swings, then he all the sudden becomes a monster again, then all the sudden he is back to warning-track power. That's not realistic.

Instead of saying "Add 300 points to upgrade your power from 98 to 99", they need to have a skill meter that takes maybe 400 points to get from 98 to 99, but you can add to that meter incrementally so that way if you suddenly see that yellow down arrow, you can just add the minimum 40 pts or whatever it may be to make that arrow go away, even though you are still 360 points away from the next level. That way it's harder to get to 99, but easier to maintain 98.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #63
Rookie

JohnnyP1119's Arena

Honestly what I'm doing for my RTTS character is limiting him to what he should be. He's RF that isn't super-fast and has decent pop.

So for Speed I have him at 70 and once I get all the stealing/baserunning to 70 as well, I will never improve those again. Once it goes down a point, I will add it to get back to 70 and my guy will always have 70 Speed/Stealing/BR Ability

Fielding I'm going to do the same thing at 85, Arm Strength at 90, etc... and depending how I do I will increase the limits. If I win a Gold Glove, I'll bring that floor number to an 88 or something. If I hit 30 HR's one year I'll push it to 82 instead of 75.

I think that and the fact you can't create a game-breaker is what makes it fun. I love the fact that I'm only hitting a little over .200 since I have come up but I still have done some damage.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #64
Rookie

videogameprojr's Arena

OVR: 0

I hope they aren't doing this for the money... It seems quite odd the year that they add "stubs" they make it harder to maintain attributes... Hmmm

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :-)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »