Home

Blatant AI Cheating

This is a discussion on Blatant AI Cheating within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 06:19 PM   #49
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Blatant AI Cheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by zub65
...As far as momentum goes. it's something I don't believe in. It's a cheap cliche announcers use. What is momentum exactly? And what value does it really have? I get sick of a football announcer tell me a team has momentum after an interception, only to have that team fumble on the next play. Tell me how did that "momentum" help?
Obviously Big Mo isn't 100%, & probably not even 75%, but to deny that momentum exists at all is nonsense. When teams do capitalize on momentum, I firmly believe the most influential factor at play that causes momentum is psychological. It helps to have talent to go along with the mental edge but if you have two evenly matched players & one is able to put aside a previous mistake from his mind, he will perform better than the one who is attempting to play the next play while still preoccupied mentally from his previous errors.
#44Syracuse
Old 04-30-2016, 06:34 PM   #50
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by zub65
As far as momentum goes. it's something I don't believe in. It's a cheap cliche announcers use. What is momentum exactly? And what value does it really have? I get sick of a football announcer tell me a team has momentum after an interception, only to have that team fumble on the next play. Tell me how did that "momentum" help?

Momentum, imo, is a shorthand expression attempting to encompass a team's emotional state, change in game state, and potential change in outcome in a single word.

A lot like how in stock trading, you'll hear things like "the stock is digesting it's gains" or "the bulls are getting exhausted" - those are shorthand expressions for what's REALLY happening.

Momentum guarantees nothing. It doesn't dictate anything. It is a POTENTIAL shift in game outcome either occurring or having a good chance to take place.

To use your example of a team getting a pick, the defensive team "gained the momentum" or "is shifting the momentum" by creating an event that could reverse (or start to reverse) the game outcome. Now if they fumble it away (literally, in the case of your example), so it goes. The other team "took the momentum right back", i.e., they shifted the change in game outcomes, the likely emotional state of the crowd/other team, etc. back towards their advantage.

In computer games, it is entirely possible to program "momentum" in as an abstraction. The Show might have this as well, and sort of "organically" creates this with the confidence system, and gives you a way for your pitcher to "catch his breath" with a mound visit.

(Incidentally, I seem to remember one year I read here where one of the functions of the consistency slider was to govern how much confidence changed...with higher = smaller changes...not sure if that's still true)

This is different than the idea of a "forced" comeback (i.e. comeback code...I've seen it in Madden before...The Show has NOTHING like that, imo). In The Show, a crack in door has to appear first. You can slam it back shut, they can force it open a little more, etc. Sometimes, you have to make a quick move, pulling a reliever you just put in after he hangs two pitches and throws another to the backstop, things like that.

Other times you can induce that GIDP, analogous to your pick -> fumble back example. They load the bases on me due to an error, a steal, a walk, a hit, but I get a GIDP...game over. They "were shifting the momentum", but I made a big pitch and ended the game.

Anyway, that, imo, is what is meant by "momentum". A team "has the momentum" if the game outcome is in or trending in their favor. If you've ever seen a WPA chart of a game and see the line consistently (or sharply) moving in one way or another...that's "momentum". It doesn't CAUSE anything (which is how I think it gets misused), but it's a shorthand expression for what has been happening or a significant shift in win outcome of the game.

Last edited by KBLover; 04-30-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:13 PM   #51
Pro

I would like to believe the game is not cheating or constantly putting only my Player Lock or RTTS player in clutch situations so that I can win the ball game.

Bummed I can't play anymore because of this issue! I tried to deal with it but I think I finally broke down!

P.S I am not the Twins in this game!

Last edited by jada855; 04-30-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2016, 07:23 PM   #52
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jada855
I would like to believe the game is not cheating or constantly putting only my Player Lock or RTTS player in clutch situations so that I can win the ball game.

Bummed I can't play anymore because of this issue! I tried to deal with it but I think I finally broke down!

P.S I am not the Twins in this game!
I'm not sure what you're getting at here....the game doesn't show the fast forward screen anymore in RTTS unless you press the Play-by-Play button (triangle) after your appearance. And since you can't do that before your first appearance (and yes, that needs to be an option, along with Game Watch), it's just fast-forwarding to your first appearance.

It's not cheating you. It's no different than it would be if the fast-forward screen showed 5 runs crossing the plate in the inning as it did in 15 and before, it's just faster. What about all the times it's scoreless coming up to your first AB?

Last edited by bcruise; 04-30-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:34 PM   #53
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I can't tell what the pitching was like from the earlier rallies in the game, so I can't comment on those. But to me, that 9th inning looked like baseball. There's always going to be some loss of control over the game's outcome if you play with QC on, and if that's going to make you upset if/when it costs you games, you might want to consider playing without it.
Not upset at all. I have zero gripes. I was laughing in my post about it and said that hard losses are a fact of life in baseball.

Yeah, at the end I got a 3-0 count with the bases loaded. I would have rather lost on a walkoff home run than a walkoff walk.

Last edited by Spokker; 04-30-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:53 PM   #54
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I'm not sure what you're getting at here....the game doesn't show the fast forward screen anymore in RTTS unless you press the Play-by-Play button (triangle) after your appearance. And since you can't do that before your first appearance (and yes, that needs to be an option, along with Game Watch), it's just fast-forwarding to your first appearance.

It's not cheating you. It's no different than it would be if the fast-forward screen showed 5 runs crossing the plate in the inning as it did in 15 and before, it's just faster. What about all the times it's scoreless coming up to your first AB?
bcruise,

Thanks but I use Player Lock in Franchise mode so it skips to either my first at bat or first defensive play until I have the chance to select the game watch option. This happens at both home and away games for me.

The issue is more of coming up to the plate for my first appearance in the game and been down by 3-5 runs each time. The only way to see what happened is to pause the game and look at the game log option. Its not the most efficient way especially when I am trying to win games in Franchise mode runs are hard to come by.

My team is never ahead in the score when this happens.I have even tried stacking the roster e.g putting Bryce Harper and Miguel Cabrera on the Brewers and also stacking the Pitching Rotation with top names. The only time I've seen a 0-0 is when I played the game on the Beginner difficulty setting.

I do agree with you and that the game watch option needs to happen before the game starts. I felt this worked fine in 15 and at least made the game feel more organic as to what was going to happen on the field.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:07 PM   #55
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

I can't speak for anyone else but the way I look at it is this. The computer has an advantage over me and there is really nothing a developer can do about it. Let me explain.

I use zone analog to hit. Basically I'm looking for a pitch and location. If something comes I'm looking for I let er rip. So I actually hit better when the computer hits it's spots or throws logically. I don't know how many times the CPU hangs a curveball that I should yard but I don't because I'm not expecting it. The CPU doesn't have this disadvantage because it's a computer lol. i doesnt have to react to where the pitch is or time it right. It sees a meat pitch and hits it and probably hard. The computer is always going to have an advantage on capitalizing on mistakes. It has to.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2016, 09:28 PM   #56
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CujoMatty
... Basically I'm looking for a pitch and location. If something comes I'm looking for I let er rip. So I actually hit better when the computer hits it's spots or throws logically. I don't know how many times the CPU hangs a curveball that I should yard but I don't because I'm not expecting it.
If a player told a his hitting coach or manager this, IRL, i wonder how they would react.
If the CPU hangs a curve, you can't be so locked in that you don't take advantage of mistakes. You can't afford to. Same as IRL
#44Syracuse
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »