Home

Do you Feel MLB uses enough ATTRIBUTES to DEFINE Players?

This is a discussion on Do you Feel MLB uses enough ATTRIBUTES to DEFINE Players? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-28-2017, 02:17 AM   #33
E=MC(2)

Mitchrapp's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Do you Feel MLB uses enough ATTRIBUTES to DEFINE Players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Players have the tendency of being a push, pull, or balanced hitter in the game. However, in The Show, these tendencies cannot be edited. You cannot go into edit player and change a player from being a pull hitter to a push hitter.
Or better yet be dynamic. When creating a RTTS player your push, pull is already spelled out for us. And if you pull everything for an entire year it won't change.

Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Tigers
Michigan Football

I didn't mean to hit the umpire with the dirt, but I did mean to hit that bastard in the stands. -- Babe Ruth

Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster. -- Joe Adcock
Old 02-28-2017, 08:57 AM   #34
Stop! Homer Time!

theaub's Arena

OVR: 35

At the very least, a 'gap' attribute like OOTP is needed for the XBH vs HR discrepancies. The full scale stuff like 2K had is a far better option though.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #35
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

Lefty/righty splits for pitchers, and have all ratings actually impact played games, such as HR/9 that currently do not. :/

I also like the comments about catcher framing and tracking stats such as DRS.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2017, 10:12 PM   #36
Pro

I would break the fielding rating up into two separate ratings - one for fielding error tendency and another for everything else (athleticism, great plays, etc...)
Old 03-01-2017, 10:32 PM   #37
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
Lefty/righty splits for pitchers, and have all ratings actually impact played games, such as HR/9 that currently do not. :/

I also like the comments about catcher framing and tracking stats such as DRS.
I think they have HR/9 exactly right. Home runs IRL depend more on the hitter than the pitcher. If a pitcher grooves a pitch for a line drive hitter he will hit a single or double. Same pitcher grooves the same pitch to a power hitter he might hit a home run.

Pitcher framing sounds interesting but how statistically would they calculate that?
Old 03-01-2017, 11:14 PM   #38
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I think there need to be a lot more, but I don't think that makes their jobs any easier trying to determine how to define them for each player, much less how to make them affect the game the right way.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-02-2017, 06:54 AM   #39
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I think they have HR/9 exactly right. Home runs IRL depend more on the hitter than the pitcher. If a pitcher grooves a pitch for a line drive hitter he will hit a single or double. Same pitcher grooves the same pitch to a power hitter he might hit a home run.

Pitcher framing sounds interesting but how statistically would they calculate that?
There stats for everything in today's game. I am sure there are metrics out there on catchers frameability.

Sent from my Pixel using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 03-02-2017, 09:46 PM   #40
Pro

OVR: 3

This is definitely a huge thing for me. It's one of the biggest gripes I've had with Madden over the years and it's also why I continue to say that Fifa is the best sports game on the market, despite the gameplay being non-simulation.

In Fifa, I can feel the difference between a 88 and a 86 speed player or two players with the exact same agility but one player is 6'0 and has a "lumbering agility" and the other is 5'4'' and zips around like a mouse. Alot of this is the physics system they use in the game (miles better than any sports game on the market) which animations have trouble emulating.

I don't really notice 80 vs 90 fielding or many other ratings. The only thing it affects is that maybe out of 100 catches, the 80 fielding player will drop/error 1-2 more balls within the sample size. But there isn't an actual meaningful physical, gameplay difference between the two.

MLB The Show has the best animation in the business (except for maybe NBA 2k) so they can get away with this somewhat but I'd like to see improvements in that area. In terms of your question, no, more attitudes won't solve anything. It's a limitation of basing your gameplay on animations instead of physics on why players don't feel defined.

Last edited by takki; 03-02-2017 at 09:50 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »