Home

Player Quirks

This is a discussion on Player Quirks within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-11-2017, 12:50 PM   #49
Rookie

Jon Arbuckle's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Player Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGHerm
That isn't how it works if I remember correctly. There would be no negative effect, the "negative" only comes from not having the boost.

And it wouldn't affect ratings, just PCI size.
Luis said there would be a corresponding negative effective for the day/night quirk. He went out of his way to clarify that when relayed a question during the stream and he really seemed to emphasize the negative flip-side to the quirk. I remember it pretty clearly because it was one of the few moments during the stream that grabbed my attention as it seemed like an odd way to implement the quirk.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #50
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGHerm
That isn't how it works if I remember correctly. There would be no negative effect, the "negative" only comes from not having the boost.

And it wouldn't affect ratings, just PCI size.
There is a negative. Luis said it twice during the stream. I think you are correct about affecting PCI size but indirectly that impacts ratings because it impacts performance.

As to whether it makes sense - it makes perfect sense in the same way some guys hit rhp better than lhp. They don't have one contact rating. They have two contact ratings depending on whether the pitcher if R or L.

Some guys hit the fastball far better than breaking balls. The overall rating is an average of what they hit against all pitches but the quirk separates it into vs fastball and vs breaking pitches. If a guy has no significant difference and doesn't have that quirk then the average is still used.

I was originally dubious about quirks but now that Luis explained it I believe it's the best thing they added specifically to franchise aside from ball spin and game play stuff.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #51
Rookie

Jon Arbuckle's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
There is a negative. Luis said it twice during the stream. I think you are correct about affecting PCI size but indirectly that impacts ratings because it impacts performance.

As to whether it makes sense - it makes perfect sense in the same way some guys hit rhp better than lhp. They don't have one contact rating. They have two contact ratings depending on whether the pitcher if R or L.

Some guys hit the fastball far better than breaking balls. The overall rating is an average of what they hit against all pitches but the quirk separates it into vs fastball and vs breaking pitches. If a guy has no significant difference and doesn't have that quirk then the average is still used.

I was originally dubious about quirks but now that Luis explained it I believe it's the best thing they added specifically to franchise aside from ball spin and game play stuff.
I think I get what you're saying here and if so I've had the same thought myself. Creating the differential without affecting overall rating seems to be the goal but that runs into the problem of artificially lowering certain abilities if a player is, for example, average during the day but very good at night rather than poor during the day and very good at night. A simple formula that creates an average of the day/night split would inevitably lead to the latter being the de facto personality for all 'good at day/night' quirk players even though that's clearly not realistic.

Seems like just adding more player ratings would make all of this more straightforward. That wouldn't appeal to casuals though whereas quirks are the kind of thing anyone can understand, if imperfectly. lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #52
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Arbuckle
I think I get what you're saying here and if so I've had the same thought myself. Creating the differential without affecting overall rating seems to be the goal but that runs into the problem of artificially lowering certain abilities if a player is, for example, average during the day but very good at night rather than poor during the day and very good at night. A simple formula that creates an average of the day/night split would inevitably lead to the latter being the de facto personality for all 'good at day/night' quirk players even though that's clearly not realistic.

Seems like just adding more player ratings would make all of this more straightforward. That wouldn't appeal to casuals though whereas quirks are the kind of thing anyone can understand, if imperfectly. lol
I don't know how much of a gap there has to be in the split to generated an impact quirk but I looked up Devon Travis on fangraphs using 2016 stats. He has night player. At night his ops was .816 - daytime .744...he also has road warrior. At home his ops was .686...road was .869

If there is no significant gap I doubt the player gets the quirk and as Luis stated the quirk has only a slight effect. Stacking quirks is what gets more significant effects. Another interesting thing about Travis is if you look at the screen...
https://youtu.be/ZC6-clv-gko?t=3166
...he has 5 quirks and an arrow to the left and right of the quirks. I suspect the arrows allow you to scroll and he has more than 5 quirks because if you look at Turner he had only 4 quirks and no arrows.

As I posted earlier the question then becomes which quirks to look for. I use manage mode. The 29 teams not named the Cubs play about 2/3 of their games at night. Day player is going to get a negative 2/3 of the time. I'll look to avoid those guys. In the game the vast majority of pitchers have fastball as their primary pitch and they throw their primary pitch most of the time. I'm looking to avoid guys with the breaking ball hitter quirk.

If you want to rake at home a few guys with home body, night player and dead red should get you a nice stack in most home games.

I'm guessing but wouldn't swear to it that impact quirks affecting pci apply to manage mode. If not I'll be wasting a lot of time worrying about quirks LOL.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:20 PM   #53
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

I am wondering how the breaking ball and fastball quirks for hitters will play out in regards to PCI size changing.

Will the PCI size change while the pitch is coming in?
Old 03-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #54
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

so if I play w/o using the PCI, some of the quirks wont apply?
that sounds, well, quirky.

A Work in Progress
Old 03-11-2017, 04:39 PM   #55
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

The PCI is always there whether it's visible or not. It'll still be used.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #56
Rookie

Finn's Arena

OVR: 2

I think Bukktown might have meant if the pci grows while the pitcher is in a wind up and the only quirk that your hitter has that would cause it is he is a breaking ball hitter than you know a breaking ball is coming before the ball leaves the pitchers hand. That being said for when you have the pci as visible of course and assuming only one quirk makes a visible change to the pci.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »