Home

Too many HR's?

This is a discussion on Too many HR's? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-31-2017, 11:48 AM   #89
Rookie

Jon Arbuckle's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Too many HR's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
I think the slowed down pitches has to do with the increased frame rate making the ball path much smoother.
I suppose this is possible. Pitch speed doesn't seem unnaturally slow to me or anything like that and a pitcher like Chapman still basically leaves me guessing since I can't possibly track his pitches and adjust the PCI in time to catch up with them.

I'm not playing on Pro btw so whatever frame rate improvements I'm experiencing are marginal at best. I'm still getting huge frame rate drops when I try to make the most of a good rhythm with my pitcher for example (ie, skipping all broadcast animations and immediately choosing my next pitch and location inevitably leads to slowdown that interrupts my pitch pulse).

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
My experience thus far has been homeruns have come off of mistake pitches that are left up and out over the plate. The only HR that I can recall that was hit on a "made" pitch was a fastball that I tried to throw low in the zone against Giancarlo Stanton.
This applies to many of the HR's I've given up. My nightmare game with Buchholz (which made me drop down from HOF) had him throwing non-stop meatballs even though I was aiming low in the zone.

Pitch location doesn't seem especially important when it comes to hitting my own HR's however. I do well at dropping the PCI to catch up with low pitches and sometimes just sit at the bottom of the strike zone with good low ball hitters and have hit many HR's off pitches down there. My 595 foot bomb off Lester in the HR derby thread for example was just me sitting low and first pitch swinging.

Last edited by Jon Arbuckle; 03-31-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:50 AM   #90
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
It happens though in real life. Stan Musial hit 5 HRs by himself in a game. The Blue Jays and Orioles combined for 10 HRs in a game in 1987. Wade Boggs hit 24 HRs in 1987.

I wouldn't make any big decisions on sliders or saying "something is broken" based off of a small sample size of games, especially one game where you tee'd off on a guy.

Go 20-25 games, then if you think HRs are happening too often adjust the power slider down a notch or two.
Stan Musial hit 5 HRs in 2 games.....a doubleheader. He has never hit 5 in ONE game. I don't think anyone has ever hit more than 4 HRs in a MLB game since the turn of the century.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:13 PM   #91
Rookie

OVR: 0

I found an article on ESPN that the MLB was on pace to hit 5,584 home runs in the year ..

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...aseballs-blame

I don't know the exact number since I can't find it .. but if all teams play their entire schedule that is 4860 games played, that's an average of just over 1 home run a game.

So if your average is one home run a game or over then you're on a pretty good pace of normalcy ..

Some games all runs are homeruns, this isn't out of the ordinary ..

Home runs are becoming the norm as more and more are hit every year ..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2017, 12:15 PM   #92
Rookie

OVR: 5

I definitely think the inflated HR totals are down to power and solid hits. As for the distances, I have no idea.

Just saw a video of someone hitting a 529 foot bomb with Brandon Crawford at AT&T Park and the exit velocity was only 107 MPH. I'm pretty sure that would be the longest homerun ever recorded.

I'm really not sure why they've changed this, it feels very arcadey from a team who pride themselves on making the most realistic sports sim available. Brandon Crawford hitting a 530 foot homerun is not realistic.

I used to get so much pleasure from crushing a 440+ footer on The Show 16 because you knew you had CRUSHED it and it felt very realistic. Prior to 17 coming out, in my 5+ years of playing The Show I think my longest HR ever was about 460 feet... in about 10 games on 17 I've already hit a 510 bomb with Neil Walker?! In the same game I hit a 480 footer with Duda and a 460 footer with Yoenis.

This is definitely something I think Ramone and the team should take a look at because it's very unrealistic.

ShowTrack is a cool addition but I don't wanna be hitting a 470 foot HR every game...

What makes me sad, is that the video of the Crawford blast was on Twitter and The Show's twitter account had "liked" it..... makes me think they're not gonna do anything about it.

Last edited by Ed21; 03-31-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:27 PM   #93
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I feared we were a bit in trouble when we saw the Presentation Twitch stream video and Cabrera hit that upper-tank shot in Washington. The three reasons I never brought it up as a concern though were:

1) The development team was surprised by the result (and to be fair, it was only 437 feet).
2) I figured they still had time to correct things then, if they had to.
3) It was in a thread about presentation only, and the only other time I had brought up distances in that thread things didn't go very well.

They may have gotten ball physics off the bat correctly, or at least better (perhaps just more varied), but physics with the air and ground leave so much to be desired, still. Plus, we've never in our lives seen a 500+ foot home run right down the line. Those go into the power alleys. That kind of thing needs to be addressed as well.

As far as the number of home runs are concerned, I have only played two full games but the CPU may have five or six total home runs off of me, and I have two so far. I'll let it play out for a little bit, mess with the sliders some, then contribute alongside the other slider folks and leave my input there. I would definitely like to correct the distances as much as the HR count itself, though.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-31-2017, 12:38 PM   #94
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

I'm still cranking them out on Allstar, downloaded a really good roster to Hold me over until OSFM, with really roster , rookies and saliers

I played my first game against the Braves last night and 6 HR between both teams.

Again, I like the Long Ball, I just hope It's not every game
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 03-31-2017, 12:42 PM   #95
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballforever
I'm still cranking them out on Allstar, downloaded a really good roster to Hold me over until OSFM, with really roster , rookies and saliers

I played my first game against the Braves last night and 6 HR between both teams.

Again, I like the Long Ball, I just hope It's not every game
Are you using default AS sliders?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2017, 12:49 PM   #96
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10

Does anyone know how much wind has an effect on the ball this year? Also I remember Russel talking about how much weather and temperature effects the ball as well there maybe a lot of things under the hood affecting all of this.

Last edited by RoyceDa59; 03-31-2017 at 12:51 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »