Home

MLB '16 & '17: An Experiment and Observation

This is a discussion on MLB '16 & '17: An Experiment and Observation within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 07:15 PM   #73
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: MLB '16 & '17: An Experiment and Observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredfan
To be honest, other than the "hard changes" like the commentary, I don't see much difference at all between the two. If you put the games side by side and muted them, I'd have a hard time telling which is which.

That's not a knock, just my personal observation.
Sorry...but if that's true then you need your eyesight checked.

Quote:
To me, Super Mega Baseball has a much better and more organic physics engine.
And there we have it...must be a troll.

Last edited by Chunky_Cracker; 04-20-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:30 PM   #74
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky_Cracker
Sorry...but if that's true then you need your eyesight checked.

And there we have it...must be a troll.
Since neither of your posts have anything to add to the conversation and are just insulting, what does that make you? In other words, if you are not adding anything to a conversation it would be advisable to stop.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #75
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I played 2 more games of '16 last night. Regular season franchise games. I really think this is where I'm going to stick for this year. I'll keep an eye on the patches for '17 when they drop and I'll try the game again after the patches to see how it feels, but honestly I'm thinking that I'm just going to roll with '16 for my baseball gaming.

'17 is a great game, but its not the game for me.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #76
ShowTime!

NAFBUC's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Yeah I don't think the devs purposely made it more Arcade. I do think they tried to help make hitting easier and may have swung too far the other way.

Couple that with new ball physics, player quirks, and effectiveness of wind, and I just feel that currently '17 is "out of balance".

I expect them to try and correct this via a patch. Whether they can or not remains to be seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Could not agree more. I had a couple of paragraphs of my thoughts ready to post, but previous posts covered most of my observations.

There is no doubt the hitting window has increased over the years, taking a big leap this year. It would be ideal if the hitting tweaking was done on only the lower levels of play.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #77
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAFBUC
Could not agree more. I had a couple of paragraphs of my thoughts ready to post, but previous posts covered most of my observations.

There is no doubt the hitting window has increased over the years, taking a big leap this year. It would be ideal if the hitting tweaking was done on only the lower levels of play.
Not for nuthin', but couldn't easier hitting just be a byproduct of increased player skill from playing this game for years?
Old 04-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #78
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Not for nuthin', but couldn't easier hitting just be a byproduct of increased player skill from playing this game for years?
It could be a factor for sure, but after having played '17 and then back to '16, its my experience that there are far more pitches to hit (meatballs/pitches down the middle) in '17 vs '16. Also the PCI seems to be a bit larger in '17 than '16 thus allowing contact to be made more easily.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 04-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #79
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird5

Yet this ball is hit much harder. I know the feedback is online while pitching but come on...

This is not a fluke either I have ton of pictures with inconsistencies like these. It seems like you hit the ball generally harder when you are late compared to good timing or even yellow good/slightly early.

Do you guys notice this offline at all? Or you think its just online?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I play offline and I can say for sure this is an issue as well. On hits that I feel I am right on top of I am left scratching me head as to why my hitter made such week contact. Then I will be super late on a slider low and away, and the ball is simply smoke for an opposite field home run on a line drive with velocity over 105. I am just really confused by this years game.

Confused because I can't figure if 1.) the ball physics are creating unintended results, or 2.) the non attribute related perks are causing artificial results in key situations (I.e. Ground ball Pitcher is causing me to hit a meatball sinker on the ground with elite hitters who would crush mistakes).

I'm actually hitting relatively well in this years game, but to often am I seeing mistake pitches on hitter favorable counts go nowhere, while pitches I have no business hitting are getting crushed. I will say it once and for all, micro transaction card modes like DD or ultimate team have been slowly killing sports gaming and simulation immersion for me for a long time.

Last edited by Nolove626; 04-21-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #80
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I do still have '16 installed (just no reason to delete it for more space yet), but I just couldn't go back to it. Humanity AI (in terms of the throwing animations having the correct urgency) and the new hit physics are two things that make '17 a completely different game than '16. I just can't give those up. Not to mention the game itself running smoother than '16 (although that may be due more to me buying a Pro in the past year).

I believe this game will be unanimously the best playing game in the series once the gameplay patches start rolling out (it already is for me and a lot of others).

I'm with you, I think this game is going to be great once we get that first patch. I'm probably having less problems than most people since I play every major league game for every team. So I'm currently only on day 3 of my franchise. I usually play with QC, but shelved that for now and since minors haven't started yet I haven't needed to sim anything. I pace I go, I'm fairly certain the patch will be out before i feel a bigger impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »