Home

MLB '16 & '17: An Experiment and Observation

This is a discussion on MLB '16 & '17: An Experiment and Observation within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 09:08 AM   #65
Did I do that???

mrCPUgeek's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB '16 & '17: An Experiment and Observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I don't play online so bear that in mind. I have the game playing the way I want it right now. No way i could go back to 16

The CPU SP/Bullpen management issues are my biggest source of heartburn. Maybe I just worry less about issues than I did before but I'm thoroughly enjoying 17 and if they fix the CPU pitch management problems I'm set.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I agree 100%. Really, the only issues I've seen is the Bullpen Management(but really, only slightly), and the balls in the dirt where the runner advances. To me, those just aren't that big of a deal. Do I want them fixed? Sure. Will it kill me if they are not? Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
I guess I should have offered a little more of an explanation to my comment. It is not that I am saying they should not be trusted. I just personally feel that this game has gone from a must buy day one pick up, to a wait and see. This is not just the fault of SDS but more the pattern that the majority of developers have seemed to follow. The rush release and patch later syndrome needs to change and the only way this will happen is to vote with our dollars. I have stopped pre ordering any games from just about every developer and the list is getting smaller every year.
One thing I remember about baseball games (in particular) in the past, I seem to remember them coming out at the beginning of spring training. Then a patch would come out close to when the season actually begun. Am I remembering correctly? The great thing would be that bugs that require a large amount of users to find could be better addressed before baseball really kicks up. Just food for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Yeah I don't think the devs purposely made it more Arcade. I do think they tried to help make hitting easier and may have swung too far the other way.
One thing I have noticed: Now don't laugh, but in years past my skill usually would teeter between vet-allstar. Actually, with Dynamic Difficulty, Vet Plus would my best spot. But, I have noticed this year, I can play on All Star with no problems. So, I just wonder if some who see the game easier may just need to up their settings. Maybe they did water down the levels, but unless you play on the highest level, maybe going up one would help out. Again just food for thought.

One last thing. I know many of you are older, like myself, and remember games of the past. As great as those games were in their day, they do not hold a candle to what we currently have in The Show (any version). I could not imagine going back and playing Hard Ball or High Heat again. Two games I loved back in the day.

Last edited by mrCPUgeek; 04-20-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #66
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCPUgeek

One thing I have noticed: Now don't laugh, but in years past my skill usually would teeter between vet-allstar. Actually, with Dynamic Difficulty, Vet Plus would my best spot. But, I have noticed this year, I can play on All Star with no problems. So, I just wonder if some who see the game easier may just need to up their settings. Maybe they did water down the levels, but unless you play on the highest level, maybe going up one would help out. Again just food for though.
I actually thought about jumping up to Legend for when I bat and seeing what that does for my experience. I'm not sure that it will change anything though, as I still just have this feeling that the balance of the game is off.

And I pitch on HOF default and I really don't want to drop down a level, because while the cpu hammers pitches on HOF, I am also able to get strikeouts. It seems to be feast or famine.

Quote:
One last thing. I know many of you are older, like myself, and remember games of the past. As great as those games were in their day, not hold a candle to what we currently have in The Show (any version). I could not imagine going back and playing Hard Ball or High Heat again. Two games I loved back in the day.
I agree. Games back in the day do not hold a candle to the games that we are playing today. And I loved Hard Ball and High Heat as well. I loved Hardball III that had Al Michaels as the commentator.

And I do play the oldies from time to time. The other day I was playing Bases Loaded on the original NES.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 04-20-2017, 09:31 AM   #67
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
I agree 100%. Really, the only issues I've seen is the Bullpen Management(but really, only slighly), and the balls in the dirt where the runner advances. To me, those just aren't that big of a deal. Do I want them fixed? Sure. Will it kill me if they are not? Nope.

One thing I remember about baseball game (in particular) in the past, I seem to remember them coming out at the beginning of spring training. Then a patch would come out close to when the season actually begun. Am I remembering correctly? The great thing would be that bugs that require a large amount of users to find could be better addressed before baseball really kicks up. Just food for thought.

One thing I have noticed: Now don't laugh, but in years past my skill usually would teeter between vet-allstar. Actually, with Dynamic Difficulty, Vet Plus would my best spot. But, I have noticed this year, I can play on All Star with no problems. So, I just wonder if some who see the game easier may just need to up their settings. Maybe they did water down the levels, but unless you play on the highest level, maybe going up one would help out. Again just food for though.

One last thing. I know many of you are older, like myself, and remember games of the past. As great as those games were in their day, not hold a candle to what we currently have in The Show (any version). I could not imagine going back and playing Hard Ball or High Heat again. Two games I loved back in the day.

I don't mean any disrespect but the two comments I bolded seem to be completely off track of the conversation.

The first comment I was referring to the general trend of developers releasing games early not just The Show and was clarifying an earlier comment that I had made.

The second comment we are talking about going back to last years game, not going back one or two generations of consoles? Comparing going back to '16 as going back to Hard Ball or High Heat, games I loved as well, is like comparing apples to baked potatoes?

I am just not following you here.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #68
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Quote:
One thing I remember about baseball games (in particular) in the past, I seem to remember them coming out at the beginning of spring training. Then a patch would come out close to when the season actually begun. Am I remembering correctly? The great thing would be that bugs that require a large amount of users to find could be better addressed before baseball really kicks up. Just food for thought.
You are absolutely right. First time I heard the game would now be released at the start of the season I thought to myself, well, that makes playing the spring training games an afterthought.

It is true that we are a huge QA group with this game, but you still have to scratch your head and some obvious things that were missed by their own QA and should question just what the heck they do.

As far as the original post, I just can't go back to '16. It had gotten really stale with me 14/15/16. I'm sort of a graphics whore and '17 really took a leap for me, and there are a ton of new hits compared to '16, but, as one poster said "it's a mess".

Just twiddle my thumbs and wait. Hope it's not into May.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:19 AM   #69
Did I do that???

mrCPUgeek's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
I don't mean any disrespect but the two comments I bolded seem to be completely off track of the conversation.

The first comment I was referring to the general trend of developers releasing games early not just The Show and was clarifying an earlier comment that I had made.

The second comment we are talking about going back to last years game, not going back one or two generations of consoles? Comparing going back to '16 as going back to Hard Ball or High Heat, games I loved as well, is like comparing apples to baked potatoes?

I am just not following you here.
No disrespect. Just thoughts I had reading those post and figured I'd share. Sorry if you think I took the thread off track. That was not my intentions...
Old 04-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #70
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
No disrespect. Just thoughts I had reading those post and figured I'd share. Sorry if you think I took the thread off track. That was not my intentions...
No worries. I just wasn't following your point and just did not want to miss something because I could not see where you were going. I have always enjoyed discussions with you and was just trying to figure it out.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:00 PM   #71
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

I do still have '16 installed (just no reason to delete it for more space yet), but I just couldn't go back to it. Humanity AI (in terms of the throwing animations having the correct urgency) and the new hit physics are two things that make '17 a completely different game than '16. I just can't give those up. Not to mention the game itself running smoother than '16 (although that may be due more to me buying a Pro in the past year).

I believe this game will be unanimously the best playing game in the series once the gameplay patches start rolling out (it already is for me and a lot of others).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2017, 06:55 PM   #72
Pro

MLB14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Yeah I don't think the devs purposely made it more Arcade. I do think they tried to help make hitting easier and may have swung too far the other way.

Couple that with new ball physics, player quirks, and effectiveness of wind, and I just feel that currently '17 is "out of balance".

I expect them to try and correct this via a patch. Whether they can or not remains to be seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I'm starting to think they intentionally wanted the game the way it is because I don't think the dev team is that sloppy.

sent from a mobile device

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »