Home

MLB '16 & '17: An Experiment and Observation

This is a discussion on MLB '16 & '17: An Experiment and Observation within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 08:24 PM   #57
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: MLB '16 & '17: An Experiment and Observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
The sheer amount of natural new fielding animations and the the ball physics of 17 make 16 obsolete for me.

And I played 16 till the day before I got 17.

This was a huge leap in gameplay for me this year.

A good gameplay patch and I guarantee you will put 16 back on the shelf for a permanent vacation.

The game needs some fine tuning. No doubt.

But it is miles ahead of any previous iteration in terms of gameplay.

Miles ahead.

Sometimes change is difficult to process at first. We all wanted that leap in gameplay and we certainly got it.

It is going to have growing pains and that is what patch 1.04 will address.

Some growing pains in coding and logic for certain options that are used to play (QC/QM). And obvious major server issues that will be addressed.

But overall in franchise mode, I have had a robust gameplay experience and far above any version before it.

Nothing has felt forced. In fact quite the opposite.

Far more organic, far more unpredictable.

Just far more better. I am seeing different things in terms of hit variety, fielding animations, humanity AI decisions on fielding.

It has been incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I mirror this sentiment

However

The field grass and dirt color in atlantas new stadium, the Phillies stadium and the twins stadium are HORRIBLE
Old 04-19-2017, 08:40 PM   #58
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

The Show 16 was a solid game; but lacked something for me. It always felt like I was playing just another baseball videogame....

The Show 17 is different...I feel like I am playing a simulation of baseball. It is just so much more lifelike, between the humanity AI, the ball physics, and the vast improvement in the fielding animations.

I'll put it another way....in previous years, I would watch a real baseball game and go "I wish we could see XYZ in The Show". This year, I watch a real baseball game and go, "Hey....this is just like The Show...that's pretty cool" (and I have literally said this to myself dozens of time...).
Old 04-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #59
Pro

kiddlex's Arena

OVR: 8
MLB '16 & '17: An Experiment and Observation

Quit out of 16 inning 0 run debacle on default hof. Tell myself to try newest version of popular OS sliders. Downloaded new OSFM rosters with default contracts. Plug in A&S sliders version 2.5.

With 1 out at Minnesota in the top of the 1st I'm up 4-0 after a Sal Perez grand slam. Feast or famine. It's not fun when it's too easy, and it's no fun when it's impossible to get the human/CPU offenses going. I want so badly to enjoy this game the way so many are. Love the potential, but I'm so lost right now regarding the Show 17.

Edit: Made it to the 5th inning and after my 4th Royals HR responsible for 8 runs I've called it for good until the next gameplay patch (sample size before throwing in the towel @ roughly 60 games)

Last edited by kiddlex; 04-19-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:13 PM   #60
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I just finished a game on '16 where I won 11-5. There were 22 combined hits. Not a single homerun was hit. I earned 7 walks.

I'm not sure this type of game is possible in '17 in its current state.

It wouldbe interesting to play 16 with roster moves reflecting the 2017 season and players ratings to match 17 Show. I wonder how long the vault will be up.

A Work in Progress
Old 04-19-2017, 09:19 PM   #61
kac
Pro

OVR: 4

I'm really enjoying 17 and couldn't go back to 16 the player models, graphics and ball physics are great improvements and I'm having different variety in games from blow outs to pitchers duals I'm also not hitting any monster homeruns there are some things I hoped are patched but I'm able to overlook them and enjoy the game.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2017, 09:30 PM   #62
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
It wouldbe interesting to play 16 with roster moves reflecting the 2017 season and players ratings to match 17 Show. I wonder how long the vault will be up.

For what it's worth, I've played both '17 and '16 using the franchise/rosters that I started on '16. So when playing the ratings and all were the same. The only difference was the ball physics and player quirks.

And as I've said '16 plays better for me.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 04-20-2017, 12:33 AM   #63
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

OVR: 0

I think I've had enough.

Playing ATL tonight, had a 2-0 lead after 3.2 innings and the CPU brings in RP Eric OFlahery (who should be good for 1 inning) and he pitches 2.2 innings. There was asbolutely nada wrong with the CPUs SP at this point. Here again, the common denominator was a scoreless CPU (seems to be prevalent to this problem).

I had followed another gamers advice:

1) moved the LRP out of that slot to MRP
2) took the LRP and brought his stamina down to no more than 40

I use QC...and it ain't QC. There is something under the hood as it also does this when games are simmed.

Quality assurance.......fix game play issues FIRST before you add anything new to this game, geez.

Last edited by KnightTemplar; 04-20-2017 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #64
Rookie

Ranger Fan's Arena

OVR: 0

There is so much wrong with this game its ridiculous. Other then the graphics upgrade SCEA laid an egg with this. 16 is a way better representation of baseball. In my opinion once you get past the eye candy of 17 the game itself is terrible and full of glitches. I think Ramone and his staff fully realize the flawed product they produced which appears nothing was done whatsoever in the testing department. Lets just look and what we are playing with.

Online- What a joke. 100 dollars to play online and nothing works right

Manager hook- Even without Quick counts and with jacked up sliders starters are pulled after 5-6 innings regardless of how well they pitch

WP's- 5-6 a game almost guaranteed

Heck I am 20 games into a season and I looked at the league leaders and Brett Nicholas of my rangers is tied for fifth in the league with 5 saves. Awesome right!!! One problem he is my third string catcher.

Stop promoting this game as all that and produce this flawed product. I know people will say wait its only been a month since it came out. That simply isn't a excuse. Test your product before you put it on the shelf. 11 years of playing and this is the worse version so far. Graphics are pretty but gameplay is atrocious
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »