Home

Shohei Otani in The Show

This is a discussion on Shohei Otani in The Show within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #57
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Shohei Otani in The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfastcat
I wouldn't be so sure. Part of the appeal of signing Ohtani is the marketing of a once in a lifetime player that can be legitimately productive on both sides of the plate. The Angels are going to be the most popular team in Japan now, and they want to take advantage of this new huge opportunity to expand their brand exponentially. So while a .250 avg might not look flashy, he's been known to be able to get on base at a solid clip. A .250/320/.500 slash with 20 HR would still be probably the best hitting pitcher in the last 50 years. And when your only other option is the a washed up Albert Pujols with an OPS of .672, your gonna want to ride the Ohtani wave for as long as possible. Obviously if it's nowhere close to even that, you'd have to pull the plug at some point.
No doubt they want to ride the wave, but I just think there is a fine line of ensuring that his offensive output is worth the risk, however slight one might view them to be, of him being injured, thus losing a key piece of your rotation.

Right now, we can only speculate how his hitting, and pitching for that matter, will translate to the MLB. I'm guessing the Angels would allow this to play out no less than the All-Star break (though I suspect it will be the entire season) before making any types of decisions as to whether or not to make him a one way player.

One thing is for sure, it's going to be must see baseball when he's pitching or hitting.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 01-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #58
Rookie

OVR: 0

Ohtani's future success is up for debate, the fact that we need to be able to edit a pitcher so he can have a secondary position is not. Gose, Schafer, Bethancourt, Eibner, McKay ect. (and probably Ohtani) will all most likely be CAPs. We also have had guys like Bumgarner starting at DH as well, which we can't currently do in the game.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #59
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

Just thinking about this, they would have to change the entire structure of the game for this to happen, like player traits, position players are completely different to pitchers, and the way you do lineups All star voting. all of this factors into the game.

I can't see them changing this for just 1 unlicensed player, that will just be a created player in the game.

The only way I can think of this is that you have the option before a game when you do your lineups is to have the option of putting a pitcher in your lineup. I cannot see the CPU doing this though.

Or they make it hidden that Otani will show in the Angels lineup but also as a pitcher so it doesn't waste a roster spot
Old 01-12-2018, 02:51 AM   #60
Rookie

douggoud's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninertravel
Just thinking about this, they would have to change the entire structure of the game for this to happen, like player traits, position players are completely different to pitchers, and the way you do lineups All star voting. all of this factors into the game.

I can't see them changing this for just 1 unlicensed player, that will just be a created player in the game.

The only way I can think of this is that you have the option before a game when you do your lineups is to have the option of putting a pitcher in your lineup. I cannot see the CPU doing this though.

Or they make it hidden that Otani will show in the Angels lineup but also as a pitcher so it doesn't waste a roster spot
Except he'll be a licensed player next year. Also, it's not gonna be a one an done thing. McKay on the Rays (even though it'll be a couple years), Bethancourt, among others are two way players (kinda). They'd be doing themselves a favor figuring this out sooner rather than later (and let's not forget that they coded out Venditte's switch pitching. And he's a minor leaguer again, even if he's licensed now, he's still somewhat irrelevant, which makes me sad personally)

Like I've said before, easy solution would be to make it so a pitcher with a secondary position will show up in the lineup screen. And then you can put the guy in the lineup. If he's pitching that day, he'll be replaced by someone who can play that position (or if it's the DH, the best hitter will be chosen). The first part being the easy part, the rest being the full solution for the most part.

"All Angels Go To Heaven"
Old 01-15-2018, 06:44 AM   #61
MVP

bronxbombers21325's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by douggoud
Except he'll be a licensed player next year. Also, it's not gonna be a one an done thing. McKay on the Rays (even though it'll be a couple years), Bethancourt, among others are two way players (kinda). They'd be doing themselves a favor figuring this out sooner rather than later (and let's not forget that they coded out Venditte's switch pitching. And he's a minor leaguer again, even if he's licensed now, he's still somewhat irrelevant, which makes me sad personally)

Like I've said before, easy solution would be to make it so a pitcher with a secondary position will show up in the lineup screen. And then you can put the guy in the lineup. If he's pitching that day, he'll be replaced by someone who can play that position (or if it's the DH, the best hitter will be chosen). The first part being the easy part, the rest being the full solution for the most part.
I agree, I think that this is going to become more and more the norm over the next 10 years. They'll have to address it in the game at some point. Whether or not they do it this upcoming season is yet to be seen. Personally, I doubt that it gets addressed in the 18 version of the game. I'd expect it to be addressed in 19. Just my opinion though, we have a great dev team who really loves the game, so they may surprise us this year.
New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers, Kentucky Wildcats, #18 Kyle Busch, #4B Jackie Boggs, #0 Scott Bloomquist
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #62
MVP

GoDucks1224's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxbombers21325
I agree, I think that this is going to become more and more the norm over the next 10 years. They'll have to address it in the game at some point. Whether or not they do it this upcoming season is yet to be seen. Personally, I doubt that it gets addressed in the 18 version of the game. I'd expect it to be addressed in 19. Just my opinion though, we have a great dev team who really loves the game, so they may surprise us this year.

I agree. I don’t think it’ll happen this year. I mean just last year during the streams Ramone said it’s not even on their radar, because there was only one or two players it applied to, but Ohtani almost came over last year. So I don’t think they’ll do it unless Ohtani is truly a staple in the lineup which will hopefully force their hand. I think the solution we will have to use will be to create two Ohtani’s.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #63
Pro

breakfastcat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDucks1224
I agree. I don’t think it’ll happen this year. I mean just last year during the streams Ramone said it’s not even on their radar, because there was only one or two players it applied to, but Ohtani almost came over last year. So I don’t think they’ll do it unless Ohtani is truly a staple in the lineup which will hopefully force their hand. I think the solution we will have to use will be to create two Ohtani’s.
All I know is, it they aren't able to make him a 2-way player, and Ohtani ends up being good on both sides of the plate, then I'm gonna be pretty annoyed playing as my team in franchise this year. I really hope they can make it work. With how early he signed in the offseason, I feel like there would have been plenty of development time left to get something like that in. All I think they would need to do is allow pitchers to have a secondary position in the field or DH. Obviously most pitchers wouldn't have that, but the ones that do show up on the bench in the lineup screen when they are not pitching. It doesn't need to be any more complicated than that. Pitchers already have hitting and fielding attributes built in.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #64
Rookie

Honestly I don’t think it’s asking too much to be able to insert a pitcher into the starting lineup. It can’t be that difficult to just have all pitchers show up on the lineup screen before the game. They already show up in the game substitution menu.

They don’t need to add a secondary position this year, or do anything else other than make it possible for us to have Otani start as DH.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »