Home

MLB 18 Manage Only Mode

This is a discussion on MLB 18 Manage Only Mode within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2018, 02:32 AM   #33
MVP

OVR: 2
Re: MLB 18 Manage Only Mode

I fell victim to the dreaded suicide squeeze this evening in the bottom of the 16th inning in a 1-1 MoM game with base runners on 1st and 3rd and one out. Prior to the pitch I set my defense up where the 3B was in and the SS/2B were playing double play depth thinking the CPU would play like most humans would. But stupid me did not pitch around or pitch out and it was game over. Of course it was a 16 inning game, so I was sort of happy it ended. But not this way.

Moral of story, while it is sort of cheesy to do this. If the game is on the line and the CPU has a base runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs, pitch out once if not twice as you know it's coming.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #34
MVP

forme95's Arena

OVR: 0

Just had a game where Hammel plunked 3 batters in 1.1 innings, and no warnings, or ejections issued

I've had a couple rain games, and no delays. Just wondering if delays are in MoM?

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)

Last edited by forme95; 04-01-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:20 PM   #35
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
Just had a game where Hammel plunked 3 batters in 1.1 innings, and no warnings, or ejections issued

I've had a couple rain games, and no delays. Just wondering if delays are in MoM?

Same here, and I was wondering the same thing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2018, 02:35 AM   #36
MVP

Not sure if it was because two games ago my team (the Rockies) and the Padres were involved in a 16 inning game or perhaps the new 1.06 patch might have also influenced this. But keep your eyes on the energy levels of your pitchers. My starter Jon Gray was pitching well with high confidence when with 2 outs in the bottom of the 4th his energy levels tanked faster than I had ever seen a pitchers energy levels tank. Luckily for me he was able to complete the 4th and I double switched my long reliever in for the 5th inning. But the Padres starter (who did throw a lot of pitches) was forced from the game in the top of the 5th and their relievers energy levels also fell off the cliff allowing me to score 4 runs in the inning and it was lights out for the Padres after than as I was sporting an 8-2 lead. Gray did not pitch in the 16 inning game, but I did use him as a pinch hitter late in game when I ran out of position players and Gray is a marginally better hitter than anyone of my relievers. So I am not sure why these two pitcher's energy levels fell off the cliff so fast. But keep your eyes open during your MoM games as perhaps something changed in the 1.06 patch.

Oh and my center fielder Charlie Blackmon hit for the cycle in this game. Of course that disastrous top of the 5th inning for the Padres when their reliever also fell off the cliff but was still kept in the game until he got the 3rd out was an influencing factor for Chuck Nastys cycle. Nevertheless a cycle is a cycle right and this may have been the first one I have ever had. Not sure. My memory fails me. LOL

Last edited by My993C2; 04-04-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:00 AM   #37
Rookie

So, last year was my first with The Show (I jumped in when I saw there was a M.O.M. mode) and it took me a bit to settle in. My team has always been the Braves, but I'd find myself getting impatient and simming ahead, then feel like I had kind of cheated the process and start over. FINALLY I settled in, played about every 5 games, got through a couple seasons, and it was awesome. I carried that franchise over and it has been great, but I did start feeling that impatience creep in a little. But rather than tossing the old franchise, I started a new one with the Mariners when the OSFM rosters dropped. I use Nomo's sliders.

I've played 10 games now with the Mariners, and I have never had a player mash like Nelson Cruz. He's gone the last two without, and had zero hits in the first game. In between, ELEVEN home runs. I was genuinely shocked when the ball didn't leave the park. I'm sure that pace will fall to normal, but it has still been crazy to watch.

So, after that rather long winded introduction it got me wondering: Who have been stars for (or against) you in this mode? Who has out-played their ratings, and who has underperformed? Cruz is obviously a great hitter, so it's not really surprising. But, for example, I signed Bryce Harper in my Braves franchise and he has never had a stretch like this one. Maikel Franco always seems to outhit his ratings against me.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:09 AM   #38
MVP

forme95's Arena

I just cant figure this out. It is really starting to irritate me and ruining my MoM franchise. I play as the Indians and I sim through Spring because I hate the 25 man that the cpu selects if you start at "regular season". So, sim spring, and Kluber has a great spring. Around 1.89 era, 47 strikeouts, 7 walks, etc. 1st game of the regular season, he pitches as if hes a AA bullpen pitcher. Gets crazy amounts of WP's, walks everyone, cant get more then 3 SO's, and holds around a 4+ era. Every MoM season I start plays out this way. He is constantly my worse pitcher in the rotation. Other pitchers in the rotation, I dont have this problem. It really is killing my playing. Im through april now and I want to restart again, and I just dont know what to do. I dont like simming, so I dont want to sim his outings just so he plays like the cy young pitcher he is. Im totally at a lost.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #39
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
I just cant figure this out. It is really starting to irritate me and ruining my MoM franchise. I play as the Indians and I sim through Spring because I hate the 25 man that the cpu selects if you start at "regular season". So, sim spring, and Kluber has a great spring. Around 1.89 era, 47 strikeouts, 7 walks, etc. 1st game of the regular season, he pitches as if hes a AA bullpen pitcher. Gets crazy amounts of WP's, walks everyone, cant get more then 3 SO's, and holds around a 4+ era. Every MoM season I start plays out this way. He is constantly my worse pitcher in the rotation. Other pitchers in the rotation, I dont have this problem. It really is killing my playing. Im through april now and I want to restart again, and I just dont know what to do. I dont like simming, so I dont want to sim his outings just so he plays like the cy young pitcher he is. Im totally at a lost.
I am not a fan of simming. Sometimes crazy things happen when we sim games that would not have happened had we played the game. Case in point I just made my MLB debut with my RTTS Braves starting pitcher (who progressed far too fast as far as I am concerned, he should be in AAA not the Show, but the game decided to fast track him skipping over an important development stage). Anyway he pitched well in his first MLB start going 6 complete innings, giving up 2 runs on 6 hits, 1 walk but no strike outs and he left the game with a 4-2 lead. I was tempted to let the game play out in CPU vs CPU play once I was pulled from the game. But I also did not want to tie up my PSN (it needs to be playing some Franchise CPU vs CPU games which it is doing right now ... LOL). Anyway what happened when I simmed the rest of the game? The Braves blew it in the top of the 9th, so my RTTS pitcher gets a no decision in his debut. Now of course this can happen in the real world. Comebacks are a part of baseball. I just don't trust simming. I would much rather have the games played out so that at least I know how the games were decided instead of by some unseen events that often seem more random than simulation.

However with all that said, if you feel that you star pitcher (who happens to be one of the better pitchers out there in the real world) is playing awful in your Franchise games to the point where it could hurt his development. I see no harm in simming some of his starts to get him out of whatever cold snap funk the game has put him into.

Last edited by My993C2; 04-28-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:42 AM   #40
MVP

forme95's Arena

Has anyone seen any rain delays in MoM? Personally, I havent yet. Trying to determine if its in for manage mode or not.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »