Home

For Those Who Are Not Buying MLB The Show 18, Why Not?

This is a discussion on For Those Who Are Not Buying MLB The Show 18, Why Not? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #105
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: For Those Who Are Not Buying MLB The Show 18, Why Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacinth1
I preordered and got it early but now I'm regretting it.

17 was such a big jump from 15 and 16. I really got back on the Show bandwagon with 17 since the PS2 days.

18 I really liked at first, but now I'm heavily disappointed in DD. It's like all the fun things that were in 17's DD , like Team Epics, and My Career, is not in 18. I've heard they may put these back in later but why later? Why didnt it come on day 1 like last years game?

Feel like it's an incomplete product at least from the DD perspective. I was new to DD last year and only played offline. That team epic mode had me enjoying this game for 2 months before I completed all those missions. That was one of the most fun i had in a videogame in a long time. But now it's gone. Just sucks.

How much different is it from 17? I never played 17.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #106
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Anyone else seeing the MLB The Show commercial where the only thing they're plugging is that you can play 3-inning games? Ah, I remember when people played every game/every pitch, full 9-inning games.

Makes me feel old and irrelevant. Also pessimistic about future iterations of the game with where the customer base's head seems to be at.
Agreed. I felt the same way when quick counts was added. The count is a key part of baseball strategy, but I had to be fair and acknowledge that some people don't have much time to play. However, three innings for a game of baseball is just laughable, and indeed tells as much about the future of the game.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #107
All Star

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Anyone else seeing the MLB The Show commercial where the only thing they're plugging is that you can play 3-inning games? Ah, I remember when people played every game/every pitch, full 9-inning games.

Makes me feel old and irrelevant. Also pessimistic about future iterations of the game with where the customer base's head seems to be at.
Man, that is disheartening.

Maybe it's been in the show for a while, but I remember the first time I ever noticed it being an option to shorten the number of innings played in a season/franchise (think it was either MVP or a really old version of 2K baseball) and even then I was wondering why anyone would do that. You don't get bullpen management, and technically with a 3 inning game your starter doesn't even go long to qualify for the decision in a real game.

Lots of good responses in this thread, and it's good to see people speaking to SDS with their wallet. We're the minority though, and if they feel strongly enough to advertise 3 inning games as a compelling feature in marketing campaigns then it doesn't give me much hope that '19 will be any better.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #108
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by asjdwf21
How much different is it from 17? I never played 17.

17 felt really special to me. Like one of those games that you'll remember 10 years down the line. It just had everything right for me. The ball physics I thought were such a huge leap. Even DD which I tried for the first time let you earn stubbs in offline modes. And of course, season mode was there.

I enjoy 18, don't get me wrong, but there are so many 'wth' moments in it that I just dont understand. DD is a money grab and a total grind. If you have a job and family to raise I dont know how you would be able to play DD this year. It's just not as fun right now as 17 was.

17 was the first baseball game I kept all year since High Heat way back 13/14 years ago.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:14 PM   #109
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacinth1
17 felt really special to me. Like one of those games that you'll remember 10 years down the line. It just had everything right for me. The ball physics I thought were such a huge leap. Even DD which I tried for the first time let you earn stubbs in offline modes. And of course, season mode was there.

I enjoy 18, don't get me wrong, but there are so many 'wth' moments in it that I just dont understand. DD is a money grab and a total grind. If you have a job and family to raise I dont know how you would be able to play DD this year. It's just not as fun right now as 17 was.

17 was the first baseball game I kept all year since High Heat way back 13/14 years ago.

MLB the show 15 was like that for me. It played so smooth. Does 17 play smooth without hiccups on standard ps4?

Old 04-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #110
MVP

G3no_11's Arena

OVR: 9

1. RTTS changes. I want more control over the league and my player. Not less. If I want to craft how my career unfolds, let me. I even wish we had full roster editing ability. Being able to edit ratings and especially uniform edits with some of these whack rookies coming into the league over time (they did get a lot better with that though). Some would take advantage of it and rig it to their advantage but I only want it to make it a more realistic experience and so some of these guys that suck when you start, but end up playing a lot and doing well in real life aren’t just stuck in the minors with a 65 overall (Aaron Judge last year for example). So making it so we can’t even control where our attributes improve/ratings caps is a turn off.

2. Burned out with DD. Not even a knock on the game. I just got way too into it last year and took and lot of my time. I still have plenty to do with 17 as well as continuing RTTS the way I want. It’s nice being away from missions and grinding. All of that is choice but it becomes addicting and time consuming.

3. Just not enough difference to warrant an early purchase. The major improvements and additions are all DD based so if I’m looking to take a break from DD, no point in getting 18.

4. The continued server issues, poor customer support. Leaving customers in the dark. The constant money grabs. It’s annoying and just poor customer service. I don’t want to give my money to someone who runs a company that way. Now I love baseball and this game is as good as it gets for any sports game in my opinion but the negligence they’ve shown me the last couple of years has made me more than willing to wait a year or two between buying the new releases.

I don’t plan on buying 18 at all but I will consider it again when the price drops.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:34 PM   #111
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamawaz

First, if you spend $60 - $70 for a game plus potential shipping or taxes, you should be able to play YOUR game the way that YOU want to. You should not be FORCED into playing the way someone else wants you to. Would you go into Burger King and order a beef patty with just ketchup and be given a veggie burger with onions and pickles, etc, and be happy with it. No, i do not think you would.
excatly my point the fact that we dont have a choice is always a mistake in these sports games that is not excepted in any other industry
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2018, 06:26 PM   #112
Rookie

phantomblackgoat's Arena

I bought it this year but every time I sit down and play my RTTS I'm reminded why I regret doing so. The hitting feels completely broken and random like it was last year. Don't get me wrong, they definitely fixed some of the glaring issues from last year (i.e. Just Late swings having better outcomes than Good-timing swings), but to me this is just a small fix to an otherwise massive problem. Can't tell you the number of times I'll swing and connect on something with good timing on a pitch left right down the middle and it ends in a lazy fly ball or a weak groundout to second/shortstop. Seriously, sometimes it feels like you couldn't get a hit if the pitcher was tossing it underhand. I've played The Show since 2012 and I've never had a problem with the hitting until the massive changes they started making last year. Unless I see a huge overhaul to the hitting engine next year I probably won't be buying it.
Edit: If you want proof the hitting is broken and this isn't just me here are my RTTS stats: 9.4% walk rate, 13.7% strikeout rate, and .223 BA. So either I'm the unluckiest hitter in MLB history or the hitting engine is garbage.

Last edited by phantomblackgoat; 04-06-2018 at 06:46 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »