Home

Morale in franchise

This is a discussion on Morale in franchise within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-21-2018, 04:50 PM   #57
MVP

forme95's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Morale in franchise

In all reality, anyone who thinks every player is all sunshine and rainbows in the MLB, doesn't really know sports players. Or any sport for that matter. Other then a few who are just happy because they are doing what they love, a lot of these guys probably aren't happy or are upset about something. Whether it's thinking they should get more playing time, more money, higher in the lineup, closer to home, etc, they still go out and play. Outside the cameras eye, you really don't know how they are truly feeling.

It's not like morale has an effect like taking Judge and making him a sub .200 batter. Or a elite pitcher and making him a barely aaa pitcher.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)

Last edited by forme95; 04-21-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:43 PM   #58
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
In all reality, anyone who thinks every player is all sunshine and rainbows in the MLB, doesn't really know sports players. Or any sport for that matter. Other then a few who are just happy because they are doing what they love, a lot of these guys probably aren't happy or are upset about something. Whether it's thinking they should get more playing time, more money, higher in the lineup, closer to home, etc, they still go out and play. Outside the cameras eye, you really don't know how they are truly feeling.

It's not like morale has an effect like taking Judge and making him a sub .200 batter. Or a elite pitcher and making him a barely aaa pitcher.
I think it is the important point if they are not dropping stats at the expense of the ratings hit. If you can't negotiate a contract mid-season, and minor leaguer loses rating because they don't implement the MLB minimum when he comes up, AND it is clear the rating hit is affecting the play on the field, that's a problem. I haven't really noticed it in the few years it has been implemented. Some guys are pleased as punch with their role, and get a rating boost and don't perform either. Carson Smith was the Sox closer for me last year and had a ERA >6 despite being rated 85. Fifa has a model where it also does bear heavily on your play and strategy, as a dissatisfied player may not negotiate a contract or look to bolt in the transfer window.

I remember doing a book report on Yaz, and by today's standards he was a cheap signing, but wouldn't sign a rookie contract unless it was six figures which was unheard of then. The Yanks balked, the Sox didn't...the rest is history. Then there is Brien Taylor, demanding a million dollars in compensation, and never pitching in the majors at all.

Now if I can just go through all those OSFM players from the Netherlands, and get them all on one team, I'd have the happiest locker room ever!
Old 04-21-2018, 09:06 PM   #59
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

I just wish we could turn it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Old 04-21-2018, 09:11 PM   #60
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickey1331
I just wish we could turn it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It would be nice if much of the franchise options (budgets, morale, injuries, etc.) were customizable for the users. Really for all sports games, especially since the boards are filled with complaints that franchise modes do not get love, allowing the user to turn features on or off to their liking would be a good gesture.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:11 PM   #61
MVP

forme95's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach422001
I think it is the important point if they are not dropping stats at the expense of the ratings hit. If you can't negotiate a contract mid-season, and minor leaguer loses rating because they don't implement the MLB minimum when he comes up, AND it is clear the rating hit is affecting the play on the field, that's a problem. I haven't really noticed it in the few years it has been implemented. Some guys are pleased as punch with their role, and get a rating boost and don't perform either. Carson Smith was the Sox closer for me last year and had a ERA >6 despite being rated 85. Fifa has a model where it also does bear heavily on your play and strategy, as a dissatisfied player may not negotiate a contract or look to bolt in the transfer window.

I remember doing a book report on Yaz, and by today's standards he was a cheap signing, but wouldn't sign a rookie contract unless it was six figures which was unheard of then. The Yanks balked, the Sox didn't...the rest is history. Then there is Brien Taylor, demanding a million dollars in compensation, and never pitching in the majors at all.

Now if I can just go through all those OSFM players from the Netherlands, and get them all on one team, I'd have the happiest locker room ever!
I understand what you mean about getting called up. In 17 when Zimmer got called up, he was unhappy $$ wise. I called him up the last week of May and he played all season for me unhappy and finished like .287 with 18 stolen bases ( caught 2x) like 30 rbis and mid 20 homeruns. Unhappy moral.
I just don't read into the morale like others I guess.

On the other side of it. Kluber was happy all year in the Ace spot and played like a #3 or #4 pitcher at best. However I blame that more on his attributes. That's a whole different rant lol

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)

Last edited by forme95; 04-21-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2018, 09:49 PM   #62
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

A few tweaks to morale could be that for coaching, for players who want better coaches, it doesnt start affecting you in your first season until May and you have sub-par .500 record.

For salary it doesn't negatively or positively affect you until your first off-season and you don't rework their contract.

Someone like Freddie Freeman to be unhappy in Atlanta because he'd rather be in California? I'd rather that penalty to kick in on free agents you sign and THEN you start losing. Winning cures all ills. I know there is a team expectation part for morale but that should play the largest role in morale.

A Work in Progress

Last edited by Caulfield; 04-21-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:07 AM   #63
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty5oke
Also why have contract be a morale issue when you can't even renegotiate a long term deal during the season.
Or, ever. Until a player's contract is up, you can't do anything at all. So if you have a guy who's unhappy in year one of a four year deal, then he's just always going to be, at least on that issue.

But you also need to weigh the pros and cons. Its it worth having a player on a well below market deal? Or is he also just being nuts with what he thinks he needs to be paid, too.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:08 PM   #64
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky 13
Or, ever. Until a player's contract is up, you can't do anything at all. So if you have a guy who's unhappy in year one of a four year deal, then he's just always going to be, at least on that issue.

But you also need to weigh the pros and cons. Its it worth having a player on a well below market deal? Or is he also just being nuts with what he thinks he needs to be paid, too.
ALOT of the players in the game demand way more than what they are worth as well. in 17, there are plenty of players who want 3 million a year just because they are veterans with however many years in service time even though last season they played in 20 game hitting 0.181. But that's a great point in that whatever the length of the deal, if he's unhappy now, he's going to be unhappy the remainder of the deal.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »