Home

Morale in franchise

This is a discussion on Morale in franchise within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2018, 08:20 PM   #65
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Morale in franchise

Players who are pre-arbitration really need to have strong caps on their expectations, also. The largest payday ever for a player in that situation was Kris Bryant a few years ago, at 1m. Most make 500-700k. They absolutely shouldn't be expecting to make 5+m, no matter how good they are.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2018, 08:55 AM   #66
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
In all reality, anyone who thinks every player is all sunshine and rainbows in the MLB, doesn't really know sports players. Or any sport for that matter. Other then a few who are just happy because they are doing what they love, a lot of these guys probably aren't happy or are upset about something. Whether it's thinking they should get more playing time, more money, higher in the lineup, closer to home, etc, they still go out and play. Outside the cameras eye, you really don't know how they are truly feeling.

It's not like morale has an effect like taking Judge and making him a sub .200 batter. Or a elite pitcher and making him a barely aaa pitcher.
Conversely, how many rookies do you think would be griping about being in the Majors?

I'm working on a roster project.. populating stats, so every player is a rookie essentially.. and they're all bent out of shape. Every single guy.

Its ludicrous. Completely unrealistic.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #67
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

'18 is definitely a step in the right direction, with morale linked to a points system. Seems a little more manageable.

.. just totally broken in past versions. I wasted hours adjusting contracts, which flat out didn't matter. For almost every relevant player, they all wanted more. If the number was 3 mil, they wanted 5. Give them 5, they wanted 8. Completely obnoxious.

Props to the team this year.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #68
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
In all reality, anyone who thinks every player is all sunshine and rainbows in the MLB, doesn't really know sports players. Or any sport for that matter. Other then a few who are just happy because they are doing what they love, a lot of these guys probably aren't happy or are upset about something. Whether it's thinking they should get more playing time, more money, higher in the lineup, closer to home, etc, they still go out and play. Outside the cameras eye, you really don't know how they are truly feeling.

But does it literally make them run slower, throw worse, hit worse, have a worse eye at the plate, make more errors, etc.

Does it lower their BABIP, lower their ft/sec speed, lower the velocity or spin rate on their pitches, etc.

Because when ratings drop, it's doing all those things, even if it's slight.

That's one of my issues with it. Do players literally play with worse physical abilities because they are "unhappy" about something or another?

I also hate how it's uniform. There's no personalities, everyone just acts the same way. That's not MLB either.

Also, real MLB players likely recognize the situation they are in. If you're a reliever, would you expect to be closer for the Yankees when they had Rivera owning in his prime? Would you expect to be ace over Kershaw? Would you expect to start at CF over Trout?

In my Marlins carryover, my ace is one of the best pitchers in the game, still 99 OVR in his 30's. Why would anyone expect to be ace over him? Everyone in the league would know who he is and if you sign or come up through my organization, why would you expect to overthrow him as ace?

I wish it did more like in OOTP - doesn't decrease abilities, but impacted negotiations and if they demand to be traded and upset the clubhouse chemistry. Most "demands" in OOTP are more free form. "Starting rotation", "Starting lineup", "bench player". Only a few player types expect to be closer or middle of the lineup...and expectations can change as well through using the player how you would like, especially if they have success there.

Not "Star" and having to be 1,2,3 in the lineup. #5 isn't a star player I guess.

Last edited by KBLover; 05-08-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:51 AM   #69
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Do players literally play with worse physical abilities because they are "unhappy" about something or another?
I absolutely believe so, emotional distress can impact your mental discipline and as a wise man once said:

Baseball is 90 percent mental and the other half is physical.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:01 PM   #70
Rookie

The other nonsense with this feature is that they don't encapsulate realism at all with the morale of the players in the game versus how they act in real life.

This entire game is setup and based off of the notion that ratings are tied to actual results that have happened. That rating is already based off of what the real player has produced and their actual morale has played a factor in that.

You can't simply create fake personalities for real players and call your game a simulation style product. If a player that is known to be a team player and accept any role and play hard under any circumstances in real life gets a rating based off of those actions, then why would they complain in the game about where they are played, their role, or their batting order, and even their salary?

Who is to actually say what location matters to any of these players in being happy with where they are playing? And furthermore, if I am from Pittsburgh but am playing for Philadelphia then I am probably not as happy in real life, even though I in the region or state in which I was from originally.

And unless they asked each real player about these situations what is important to them then they are just making stuff up that isn't based off of anything real. So you might as well not even have real MLB players in the game if that is the point they are going for.

So why have any of this matter? Give us an option to disable it!
Old 05-08-2018, 04:59 PM   #71
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I absolutely believe so, emotional distress can impact your mental discipline and as a wise man once said:

Baseball is 90 percent mental and the other half is physical.

And has that been quantified as to the effect?

Has a player who has been unhappy with his role, contract, etc, fallen apart or show to play worse?

Likewise, a mediocre player play over his head simply because he was happy?

#2 starters that play worse because they aren't #1?

I have a real hard time believing that players actually play worse in those situations. Someone like Billy Hamilton runs slower and gets worse at stealing bases because his salary is 1 million lower than he'd like.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #72
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
And has that been quantified as to the effect?

Has a player who has been unhappy with his role, contract, etc, fallen apart or show to play worse?

Likewise, a mediocre player play over his head simply because he was happy?

#2 starters that play worse because they aren't #1?

I have a real hard time believing that players actually play worse in those situations. Someone like Billy Hamilton runs slower and gets worse at stealing bases because his salary is 1 million lower than he'd like.
Well, Ed Whitson and Jeff Weaver come to mind in their time in New York...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »