Home

Morale in franchise

This is a discussion on Morale in franchise within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2018, 09:01 PM   #73
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Morale in franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
And has that been quantified as to the effect?

Has a player who has been unhappy with his role, contract, etc, fallen apart or show to play worse?

Likewise, a mediocre player play over his head simply because he was happy?

#2 starters that play worse because they aren't #1?

I have a real hard time believing that players actually play worse in those situations. Someone like Billy Hamilton runs slower and gets worse at stealing bases because his salary is 1 million lower than he'd like.
As a manager for my company in real life I can absolutely tell you that issues like a person's role on the team, job duties, salary, distance from home/family all have tangible and real impacts on a person's performance and how much effort they put into the job. No matter how "professional" or how much of a "team player" a person is, personal morale absolutely affects things.

Now, I am speaking very much in generalities...I'm not speaking to the specifics of what player ratings are affected here. I just get the feeling that a lot of people in this thread are dismissing this concept from an overall perspective; a feeling I would vehemently disagree with. That said, I WOULD like to see some tweaks made to the specifics of the morale system; but I feel it isn't really that far off the mark in its current format.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:28 PM   #74
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
As a manager for my company in real life I can absolutely tell you that issues like a person's role on the team, job duties, salary, distance from home/family all have tangible and real impacts on a person's performance and how much effort they put into the job. No matter how "professional" or how much of a "team player" a person is, personal morale absolutely affects things.

Now, I am speaking very much in generalities...I'm not speaking to the specifics of what player ratings are affected here. I just get the feeling that a lot of people in this thread are dismissing this concept from an overall perspective; a feeling I would vehemently disagree with. That said, I WOULD like to see some tweaks made to the specifics of the morale system; but I feel it isn't really that far off the mark in its current format.
Thank you. I was about to post something similar. I worked as a retail manager for a long time. From my personal experience and that of working with many others, how a person feels about their job and how they're doing outside of it can have enormous impacts on their every day production. Some of this has to also carry over into the world of sports - we're all human beings.

Player X might perform like an 85 OVR player if he likes the city that he's in, has a good relationship with his teammates and manager, and feels wanted and appreciated by the club. Put him in a city that he doesn't enjoy, on a team with a lot of internal strife or where he doesn't get along with the clubhouse, and/or where upper management and ownership's style doesn't suit him, and is it that hard to think that he wouldn't play nearly as well.

If anything, I think that while I don't agree with all the ways that the game handles morale, the effects of it which rarely go more than +5 or -5, might even be understated sometimes.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:22 PM   #75
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0

But the difference between a Macys clerk, and a baseball player.... A baseball player stands nothing to gain by performing poorly on the job. Not that a store clerk does. But performance = pay, in all sports. Pout and underperform, you're not going to be rewarded. More often than not, you'll wind up without a team.

Preferences should only matter in contract negotiations. I have no problem with that being in the game, and welcome it. Day-to-day team operations/games, no thanks. Not necessary. Not on the scale it exists in at this point, anyway.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #76
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
CAN'T BUY ME LOVE

money doesn't buy happiness. being well paid or over paid could lead to fat cat syndrome
see kung fu panda & boston. so just because a player is happy with 30 mill a year shouldn't make him play better. maybe it should even go so far as to make some players content, and not play as hard.

A Work in Progress
Old 05-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #77
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

I would like morale expanded....and I do like it a lot. What I hope they do is allow the 1-4 slots in the batting order to be “Star” slots. Many teams are employing guys in the 2 hole (Aaron Judge your cover boy cough cough) these days that are superstars.

Case in point.....I had Judge in the 3 hole for all of April and his ratings took a 4 point hit. He was decent with his run production but was not hitting the ball like he could.

I decided enough is enough. I moved him to the 3 hole and moved Didi up to the 2 hole. He now has raised his average from .187 to .247 in just 2 weeks in May and now leads the A.L. in RBI's!! I was forced to make a managerial decision to get more production out of him because in this franchise universe the parameters I am playing with define the two hole as a non superstar and Judge wants to be treated and used like a superstar.

The system works. It is up to you to make lineup decisions, roster decisions, roles and salary decisions using the system they have in place. It is not perfect but damn I am glad we have it. It makes my franchise decisions matter a heck of a lot more.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 05-10-2018, 08:46 AM   #78
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

How do they define "Star" and all the other options? Where do we set those?

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #79
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
I would like morale expanded....and I do like it a lot. What I hope they do is allow the 1-4 slots in the batting order to be “Star” slots. Many teams are employing guys in the 2 hole (Aaron Judge your cover boy cough cough) these days that are superstars.

Case in point.....I had Judge in the 3 hole for all of April and his ratings took a 4 point hit. He was decent with his run production but was not hitting the ball like he could.

I decided enough is enough. I moved him to the 3 hole and moved Didi up to the 2 hole. He now has raised his average from .187 to .247 in just 2 weeks in May and now leads the A.L. in RBI's!! I was forced to make a managerial decision to get more production out of him because in this franchise universe the parameters I am playing with define the two hole as a non superstar and Judge wants to be treated and used like a superstar.

The system works. It is up to you to make lineup decisions, roster decisions, roles and salary decisions using the system they have in place. It is not perfect but damn I am glad we have it. It makes my franchise decisions matter a heck of a lot more.
Psst Armor you should cheat the system like I do. Just set your lineups to help with morale, then manually adjust to your real lineups before every game. It's super annoying but it works.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #80
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
Psst Armor you should cheat the system like I do. Just set your lineups to help with morale, then manually adjust to your real lineups before every game. It's super annoying but it works.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Operation Sports mobile app
HA!!! I did not know that! Thank you for that advice. Because IMO the 2 slot is a star position.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »