Home

6th Inning Comeback

This is a discussion on 6th Inning Comeback within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2018, 04:18 PM   #17
Rookie

alston4659's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 6th Inning Comeback

Suffered a brutal loss the other day and posted it in the Franchise Discussion thread. Had a 6 run lead in the 9th inning and no matter what pitch I threw it was hit for a triple. Every single pitch. I didn't get a single batter out and ended up losing 12-11. The worst loss I've ever suffered. Comeback code in the 9th??? Maybe lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-29-2018, 06:50 PM   #18
Cod
MVP

Cod's Arena

OVR: 10

tldr; Everyone accusing the game of "scripting" needs to take a step back and understand how sports games implement AI systems.

First, sports games typically utilize a multi-tiered AI system. The high-level AI handles all strategic decision making (CPU decisions when ball not in play). Mid-level AI handles the response system (how a CPU reacts to a hit ball). Finally, low-level AI handles how each individual behaves in relation to the tiers above it (where the 3B setups pre-pitch).

Also, sports games have a lot of information and research to utilize. Baseball in-particular gives AI developers another level of information since baseball teams display easily recognizable patterns (shifts, hit-and-runs, etc.). This leads to players behaving differently in different game situations (inning, pitch count, etc.).

Finally, most sports games on the market today employ some level of adaptive AI. In the case of pitching, you're trying to beat a random number generator (RNG) that is updating itself after every pitch. You may think you're being random, but in actuality, you're not. As far as I know, there is no such thing as "random"...a pattern always exists...it's just, how hard is it to spot?

Cryptography is the perfect example of this. The only truly secure method is through use of a one-time pad (Google it).

EDIT: A co-worker showed me this back when I was in college doing an AI project: https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlike...3g&sh=64dd4f1d

Last edited by Cod; 04-29-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:31 PM   #19
MVP

BrianM207's Arena

OVR: 3

I will say that upping starter stamina did seem to help.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:40 PM   #20
Ride on Kentucky Kid

doubledeuceR6's Arena

OVR: 12

I ran into the starter fatigue last night with a 5-3 lead, I was around 85 pitches and and got 2 quick outs in the 5th and really wanted to get through the 5th to give the starter a shot at the win.......didn't happen as I gave up a single, walk and then a 3 run bomb. That was all fine as I should've just brought a reliever in but I was stubborn.

I have more issue with the 2 out rally, they seem to happen all the time no matter the inning or pitcher stamina. 2 quick outs then bam it takes 30 pitches to get that 3rd out. Anyone else see a lot of 2 out rallies?
Twitter: @CQRDeuce @CQRclub
www.cqrclub.co.uk

Last edited by doubledeuceR6; 05-02-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:58 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

This is the longest 6th inning I've ever seen lol

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2018, 04:11 PM   #22
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledeuceR6
I ran into the starter fatigue last night with a 5-3 lead, I was around 85 pitches and and got 2 quick outs in the 5th and really wanted to get through the 5th to give the starter a shot at the win.......didn't happen as I gave up a single, walk and then a 3 run bomb. That was all fine as I should've just brought a reliever in but I was stubborn.

I have more issue with the 2 out rally, they seem to happen all the time no matter the inning or pitcher stamina. 2 quick outs then bam it takes 30 pitches to get that 3rd out. Anyone else see a lot of 2 out rallies?
I let up 2 straight hits to the Angels the other night and felt like something similar was about to happen, so I launched a fastball at Mike Trouts head, and then struck out Pujols. Apparently that's how you kill a rally.

Sorry Mike, I still love you...
Old 05-02-2018, 06:49 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsmen7
I let up 2 straight hits to the Angels the other night and felt like something similar was about to happen, so I launched a fastball at Mike Trouts head, and then struck out Pujols. Apparently that's how you kill a rally.

Sorry Mike, I still love you...

It's just part of the game, according to Dan Plesac. Pitchers need to be able to pitch inside after all.

So if the purpose pitch got away a bit and leaked towards Trout's head...well he should have ducked.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:16 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

If your playing a 3 inning quickie, does the comeback happen in the first inning?

A Work in Progress

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »