Home

MLB The Show 18 Patch 1.11 Available, Patch Notes Included

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 18 Patch 1.11 Available, Patch Notes Included within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2018, 06:21 PM   #65
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 18 Patch 1.11 Available, Patch Notes Included

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Using directional/classic.

Definite improvement in bat-to-ball dynamics looking more realistic here. I was previously in that "hit line drives off the end of the bat, dribblers in the middle of bat" conundrum for 1.10. This patch has definitely cleaned that up and I am quite happy and not seeing crazy numbers at all.

I could definitely see how some skilled zone guys might be a bit frustrated. But one thing I stated on Armor's stream last night; it's far easier to tune offense down realistically than it is to tune it up realistically. A simple drop to user contact should do the trick without screwing-up a lot of other dynamics. (And yes...I greatly appreciate the frustration in having to adjust sliders mid-stream like this...)
For zone hitting users seeing far too much power/pop now....turn down your solid hits slider a click at a time and I am sure you will get the balance you want.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 06-08-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2018, 06:29 PM   #66
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Wanted to share my own example of how the PCI interaction with the ball is after this patch:

Plain and simple, that's not a hit before 1.11 - I've seen this scenario hundreds of times. It's a worm burner - probably a weak one, maybe even a chopper - that the 2B gets to and forces either runner. And it never really made sense because SDS claimed they didn't want the PCI to be seen as a bat (rather as a hitter's full plate coverage), yet hitting what was supposedly still the "Good" part of the PCI below the Y (vertical) axis would result without fail in a ground ball, most likely an out unless it was placed between the infielders.

I didn't hit the "Good" part here - it's clearly below. It's a routine groundout before this patch for anyone. But, JD has power, and it's enough to turn what would be a weak grounder for most hitters into a hard one (I wouldn't exactly call this a line drive) that, this time around, finds a hole through the defenders. Previously this ball has no lift whatsoever - now it has just enough to get through the infield.

The hitting just feels more...natural now. I'm not sure what word I should use to describe it other than that.

Last edited by bcruise; 06-08-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:16 PM   #67
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
And it never really made sense because SDS claimed they didn't want the PCI to be seen as a bat (rather as a hitter's full plate coverage), yet hitting what was supposedly still the "Good" part of the PCI below the Y (vertical) axis would result without fail in a ground ball, most likely an out unless it was placed between the infielders.
It's interesting they say that but this system makes it act more "like a bat" than anything else.

Otherwise, why would it matter "where you hit it" as long as it covers the ball?

I've never really understood The Show's hitting model. It makes sense now.

And thanks for the video and the discussion of the before/after behavior.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #68
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

Zone analog hitter here as well and first game after the patch I scored 12 runs on 14 hits on legendary. I was crushing the ball. Smoak squared up a sinker and hit the third deck at Rogers centre.

I agree that these changes all make sense for how the pci and bat correlate but I知 super worried the game will be too easy now because it was bordering on too easy before this patch. It reminds me of the video I saw of the guy playing nba live elite(pre release)who mastered the shot meter and couldn稚 miss. Sometimes video games need roll of the dice interference.

I知 not gonna jump off a bridge after one game though and even if it persists I値l try Armors suggestion of lowering slider. Just reporting my initial results.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:53 PM   #69
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CujoMatty
Zone analog hitter here as well and first game after the patch I scored 12 runs on 14 hits on legendary. I was crushing the ball. Smoak squared up a sinker and hit the third deck at Rogers centre.

I agree that these changes all make sense for how the pci and bat correlate but I知 super worried the game will be too easy now because it was bordering on too easy before this patch. It reminds me of the video I saw of the guy playing nba live elite(pre release)who mastered the shot meter and couldn稚 miss. Sometimes video games need roll of the dice interference.

I知 not gonna jump off a bridge after one game though and even if it persists I値l try Armors suggestion of lowering slider. Just reporting my initial results.
I agree - I'm not convinced that I won't have to lower sliders to balance out my offensive output after this change - as a zone user I'm smack in the middle of who they made this change for. But I also think that the PCI results being more "true" with what you'd expect will make it easier to find what I need to adjust (if anything) quicker. I can trust what's going on with the bottom half of the PCI as legitimate contact now, instead of just assuming anything hit there is going to be a ground ball.

BTW, if this does affect the CPU in any way, I haven't seen it yet. Through 2 games on Legend and one on AS (because the new POTM program doesn't count a win over HOU on anything but AS despite what it says ) it hasn't shown any signs of things being out of whack with its offense. I had a nice game where I struck out 7 and walked 4 on Legend en route to a 5-0 CGSO in one of those, and the other was a 4-3 win in 12 innings where I tied it in the 9th with a solo HR. I struck out a whopping 14 in that game. Both of those were on Legend.

Probably going to get some RTTS time tonight, because that's where I should really be able to feel the differences (if any) in this patch.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:49 PM   #70
Rookie

OVR: 4

Lollygagging outfielders still happens. It seems to be happening less, but it's still an issue.

Just gave up a double on what should have been a single because the CF jogged to the ball and then didn't put his glove down all the way so it snuck through and he had to run another few feet to pick it up. The ball was rolling so slowly by this point that (1) it wouldn't get missed in real life and (2) it wasn't too costly, but the fact of the matter is if he didn't jog in the first place, he would have been in front of the ball and wouldn't have even had to make that weak reach.

Those weak reaches on balls that are only going to travel another 5-10 feet happen far too often, IMO, but that's a separate issue.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:57 PM   #71
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
It's interesting they say that but this system makes it act more "like a bat" than anything else.

Otherwise, why would it matter "where you hit it" as long as it covers the ball?

I've never really understood The Show's hitting model. It makes sense now.

And thanks for the video and the discussion of the before/after behavior.
I still dont understand it lol. If the pci is acting more like a bat now, then that ball should have no lift whatsoever, based on the ball/pci placement. Yet it had an upward trajectory coming off the bat. Or are we saying that the pci has acted like a bat in the past, despite what they claimed? And now it isnt? I may have misread something in bcruise's post, as i read this thread while majorly preoccupied.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2018, 06:34 AM   #72
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Here is the game that I just finished this morning. No homeruns and the triple by Singleton should really be a single. I hit R2 thinking I was controlling Carpenter on a ball hit down the line but I was actually controlling Piscotty, so Piscotty dove in the middle of right field on a ground ball down the line, thus leading to a triple. Thankfully Singleton didn't score so that didn't cost us the game.

This is still default Legend with Zone Hitting.

Game felt as it did pre-patch just you get more solid contact on pitches squared up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MLB(R) The Show(TM) 18_15.jpg (134.5 KB, 290 views)

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »