Home

Fact or Fiction: MLB The Show 19 Is the Sports Game of the Year

This is a discussion on Fact or Fiction: MLB The Show 19 Is the Sports Game of the Year within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-02-2019, 09:36 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Fact or Fiction: MLB The Show 19 Is the Sports Game of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
On top of that, the franchise mode remains the most stable out there....doing a far better job at keeping things stable and balanced than other games (the major 'bug' gripes always coming from people using ill-conceived custom rosters that hyper inflate prospect potentials - sorry kids, that's on you for using them). The other complaint (too "shallow") always coming from people who sim games (bypassing the true meat of the mode - the gameplay)...repeat after me guys, "This is not a text sim...this is not a text sim". The addition of Heidi Watney has been well-needed....her role needs to be massively expanded next year....ideally along with going to a 2-person booth.

Now, the mode itself does need some added depth in player development and scouting and a little more customization. But, the budget and morale systems are fantastic (simplicity does not mean it lacks depth). The biggest issue is with the base rosters. They need help in properly reflecting player options and player potentials more adequately. This HAS to be a focus for next year.
Any franchise mode that can't stand up to 10 seasons of simming with default roster without significant flaws emerging is in need of significant work (and this game doesn't). Doesn't matter if you insist it isn't a "text sim." A player should be able to play 162 games in one season or 10 games in 16 seasons with the rosters feeling realistic either way. The long-term playability of franchise mode is why it's been a sports game mainstay for two decades and counting and why season mode is disappearing.

The budget system has serious flaws the farther you advance into a franchise, as well.

I love the game as is, but franchise mode has plenty of significant flaws.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2019, 08:32 AM   #26
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

OVR: 0

I would say fact for me. I have played this version more than any in the last 5 years. Game play is definitely great. I think the game could get some quality of life improvements in scouting, commentary, and player progression. But what other game is there carry over saves and the ability to have unlimited years into the future. I have simmed 30 years into the future and started a franchise then. Most other games, that would be the limit (NBA 2k excluded). I will also say that even though there is a lot of hate for it, I have really enjoyed NHL 20, but it doesn't get my vote over The Show because baseball, well it's baseball.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Old 11-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #27
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12

I agree with with everything nemesis said.

This game plays a good game of baseball, but lacks in every category where it matters in terms of replay value and not getting bored. Too much focus on DD, RTTS, Moments etc........ They are alienating a fan base (weather they or anyone wants to admit it or not) and it shows.

This game isn't even close to what it once was and that is unfortunate.

Fiction for me the whole way through.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:53 AM   #28
World Series Champions!!

Cubfan's Arena

OVR: 20

Fiction: I would take the franchise modes from OOTP 20 and NBA 2K before The Shows. No major franchise updates in years now and the presentation is stale.
NBA: Chicago Bulls
NCAA: Iowa Hawkeyes
Old 11-04-2019, 08:08 AM   #29
Banned

OVR: 21

Fact or fiction? That's a tough one due to competition being fairly weak.

To be honest, I don't play NHL or NBA, so I am not sure how good those games are. I will say this...I feel The Show has many legacy issues that they refuse to address, and this is not a good sign moving forward. The on field items seem to take more of a back seat now that they focus more on DD, RTTS, etc.

Playing the game, I get a bit bored and frustrated when I see the same issues pop up in a 9 inning game. It's lost a bit of its shine and magic for me, but I still play it from time to time to get a baseball fix.

Time will tell if they can right the ship, but at current course and speed, this may be a non purchase for me next year.

C
Old 11-04-2019, 08:31 AM   #30
MVP

bravesfan1984's Arena

OVR: 6

I don't play any other sports titles, except for Madden on occasion, but since baseball is my true love, I'll always have a baseball game. That being said, my playing time of The Show has dwindled each year and this year was the least I've played the game. Lack of immersion and legacy issues just kill the vibe for me. It'd be too tough for me to say FACT, given the staleness and lack of improvements.

Old 11-04-2019, 03:42 PM   #31
87%

ty5oke's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan1984
I don't play any other sports titles, except for Madden on occasion, but since baseball is my true love, I'll always have a baseball game. That being said, my playing time of The Show has dwindled each year and this year was the least I've played the game. Lack of immersion and legacy issues just kill the vibe for me. It'd be too tough for me to say FACT, given the staleness and lack of improvements.
My sentiments exactly. I normally play a full 162 game season each year but I haven't even started one yet this year after getting it day 1 because I don't see enough change from last year. I just can't imagine having fun anymore in franchise which is a shame.

Operation Sports OOTP League
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »