Home

Franchise Players: A Question I have always been curious about.

This is a discussion on Franchise Players: A Question I have always been curious about. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2021, 09:10 AM   #17
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Franchise Players: A Question I have always been curious about.

I don't get stuck on accurate real life stats or accurate rosters. I sim into the future to play a season because I do not want any real correlation to what is happening in baseball now.

I have played the last few years on all-star difficulty for pitching and hitting with auto fielding and manual throwing using buttons only so those annoying throw bars don't pop up and I don't have to see the ball markers on the ground.

I am going to start new in 21 and sim a new franchise forward then tweak my sliders and play it out on hall of fame. I won 100+ games in my last 2 seasons playing them out between 19 and 20 and want a little more challenge.

Because of that I will continue to not worry about matching what happens in baseball.

Remember, over a 162 game season, the law of averages come into play and stats will balance out anyway. Also keep in mind, that .250 average hitter can have a single breakout year and hit .330 then revert back to his norm. It's what makes baseball great. I love watching that long term ebb and flow over years and not just a single season.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Old 03-25-2021, 09:55 AM   #18
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

I focus on feel first, and stats second. Personally, I've found that razor focusing on stats alone can cause as many problems as it solves. I'm comfortable with getting unrealistic numbers as long as I feel like the results match up with a player's given attributes and the possibility of failure still exists.

I also refuse to force realistic stats when I know that most of my team's slashes would drop at least 50 points if the CPU would just utilize the slight shift. it's a huge problem. I've tried to switch over to the other team, set the shift, and switch back, but the CPU just goes back into a straight up shift as soon as I give up control.

For example, my #2 hitter right now in my 2014 carry over (Jarome Mauzoul) is hitting .371. But a lot, and I mean a lot of those hits are solid grounders that thread the gap between SS and 3B. If the CPU would just play the slight shift to the left when he came to the plate, I'm not even sure if he'd be hitting over .300. He can hit oppo, but almost never down the line, and would struggle with a push-based strategy. He also can hit for power, but only when he pulls.

Not all of my players are that extreme of an example, but I hope you get my point. I'm getting too much success on hard grounders due to the CPUs incompetence.

The worst hitter in terms of average on my team right now is due to the fact that the CPU shifts against him effectively since he's an extreme pull hitter. He is not the worst hitter on my team.

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 03-25-2021 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:55 AM   #19
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

I'm going to offer up a portion of the opening post of my slider thread to explain my feelings.

I lose interest if I get any hint that player ratings aren't mattering as much as they should. As a consequence, I GREATLY prefer operating with zero slider adjustments (to maximize the player rating influence); but MLB The Show always seems to need a little tuning. So, we need to do this very carefully...

I'm not interested in a slider setup that makes the game look/play a particular way or that yields certain statistical outcomes. I just want the player ratings to be reflected in a believable manner in their on-the-field actions. If every player kinda feels the same, well...why bother building a team?

What is the goal?
The goal is the same this year: to maximize the impact of player ratings. If ratings don't matter, then it is pointless to play franchise mode.

What does this mean?
Well...let me give you an example. Playing every game in my Reds franchise, I had a player with 99 contact/78 power (vs righties) and 60 contact/42 power (vs lefties) and with mid-60s vision hit .402 with 40 HRs vs righties and around .280 with 1 HR vs lefties. Think about that for a second...a 99 contact hitter (which is essentially HOF-level for that season)...he should be pretty darn good at hitting, right? A max-rated contact hitter with a lot of power in a small home ballpark hit just over .400 vs that handedness. That's not unreasonable, right? Does it change your opinion that the player in question was Scooter Gennett? If it does, than this is the wrong thread for you.

Many people will say, "That isn't realistic!! Scooter isn't that good!!!!" That's a biased assessment based on real life; not an assessment of what could happen based on that player's ratings. But many folks will look at that and adjust things because it is "too easy"...but if one biases the game/sliders to the point where that can't ever happen to a player with those ratings, that is NOT believable either!
Old 03-25-2021, 10:18 AM   #20
MVP

MetsFan16's Arena

OVR: 4

My franchise strategy is to play all 162 and have realistic stats for each player. I am pretty competitive in DD (Consistent WS player in ranked) so my difficult is set to Legend but there are some aspects of the game that are not fit for me with default sliders. I tend to always decrease my contact/power/pitcher accuracy to get more realism. Or else every game is a slugfest and I pitch a shutout.

It takes some time to get the sliders right where I like them but I also know that I will never lead the league in walks, strikeouts, I seem to always lead in GIDP.

I tend to always have a player go off each ear (2020 Conforto hit .330 with 60 and 140) and that was a lot of fun for me even if it wasn’t realistic because I still lose games, I have to make epic comebacks and my year end numbers looks somewhat similar to real life.

To answer your question, I think it’s good to find a difficult that is challenging but not overwhelming that takes away from the fun. And for the inbetween stuff sliders okay a big factor.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:40 AM   #21
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

30 team control. Keep the ML rosters accurate, don’t care about the minors. I’ll play one season in franchise mode, then shelve it and start anew. Clean screen, generated pitch count, can’t steal or bunt for crap, so use quick manage. Love a good loss as well as a win. No slider adjustments, AS vs. AS seems to work for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2021, 10:59 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatKidNamedTae
I swing at almost everything lol

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
My issue is I don't swing enough. Sure, I draw plenty of walks, I also take too many hittable pitches and allow pitchers to get me into 2-strike counts where I then make weak contact when I put a ball in play unless they make a mistake.

I've never been one to hack away and I don't guess that will ever change. It's partially why I like simming as much as I do also. The player tendencies matter more when you sim more than not.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 03-25-2021, 11:09 AM   #23
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

The way I franchise is clearly explained and laid out on my Slider thread. Plenty of detail, settings, approaches to pitching and hitting.

I am a pure clean screen sports gamer and player ratings are the driver.

When developing sliders I am all about the “feel” of the game and never ever get hung up on “stats”. Being that I play every pitch of every inning and all 162 in my main franchise’s the stats take care of themselves naturally. And they have always been a product of my league and the evolving player ratings and now five years in prospects that I drafted in combination of the full minors roster we go with.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 03-25-2021, 11:28 AM   #24
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

One other thing I do before I start franchise when it comes to "testing" (but really I'm just waiting on updated rosters from the community haha):
  • Play games as a stacked team (ex: AL All Stars) vs. a weak team (ex: AA team). I need to make sure that I can basically crush them every time out.
  • Flip that script and play as a weak team against a stacked team. I need to make sure that I can basically get crushed every time out.
  • Play as some team, against that same team. Try heavy offensive teams, strong pitching teams, etc. Just seeing the balance/competitiveness that I get on that front.
I can get plenty of games in this way when waiting on rosters, but these are good ways to kind of test sliders out.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »