Home

In your franchise, whats more appealing? Winning or Fair Play?

This is a discussion on In your franchise, whats more appealing? Winning or Fair Play? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-10-2021, 11:16 PM   #25
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: In your franchise, whats more appealing? Winning or Fair Play?

What I want, more than anything, is for the challenge to be for me to need to "do it right" to succeed. In other words, I need to figure out the right strategy, and get my timing and coordination in place, and if I then execute it at the right time, then I do well. Really, the same as non-sports game in that regard. The challenge of course is tweaking the game with the settings and sliders to find that right balance. Easier said that done.

I also would love to be able to have the best players generally play to that level, and have the lesser ones do far worse (both CPU and user), but again, that's sadly easier said than done. Both CPU teams as a whole and individuals often blend together without a lot of variation most of the time. They all kind of play the same way, depending on the difficulty setting.

In The Show specifically, while I like the variable difficulty slider, it doesn't work as well as it probably should. For me at least, while Veteran+ is a step up from Veteran, All Star then becomes a very big leap from Veteran+ for hitting, and an enormous one for pitching. And so I go from winning most of my games by scores of like 7-2 on Vet+ to getting crushed 20-2 on All Star, and struggling to make outs period on AS+. And I'm a guy who's played the game for more than a decade and logged thousands of games vs the CPU in that time. (As well as playing other baseball video games since the 80s)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2021, 10:34 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 2

I would rather go 0-162 with a bunch of exciting close losses than 162-0 with a bunch of blowouts
Old 04-11-2021, 10:43 AM   #27
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingCeo27
So I am all about franchise mode in all sports games I play. Anotehr important factor to me though is having sliders and settings that make the game a challenge. To me hving a team that makes the playoffs every year and wins almost all games is not that much fun. Actually find it boring. But on the flip side I see people posting their results and they are winning all the game s20-1, 15-4, Winnings 125 games in the season.

So really for those who love franchise mode what do you find is the most enjoyable way to get the most out of it and keep your interest?
The secret is, there is absolutely no difference in setting the sliders to be “fair” and setting them to win every game. None.

You decided player X should hit for X average and X pitcher should be X effective. The fact that your sliders are designed to mimic real life is no different than if you set them to win easily. Neither is “fair.”

You enjoy close games, and someone else enjoys dominating. You are both putting in the same effort. You are both getting exactly what you want.

For me, and baseball is the prime culprit, sliders have destroyed the essence of playing sports, which is competition. If you set sliders for a precise result, and change them when you don’t get that result, then it kind of makes every single win or loss moot.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:16 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

it's times like these I ask myself 'WWHD'
what would Houston do.
then I do the opposite

A Work in Progress
Old 04-11-2021, 03:40 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
The secret is, there is absolutely no difference in setting the sliders to be “fair” and setting them to win every game. None.

You decided player X should hit for X average and X pitcher should be X effective. The fact that your sliders are designed to mimic real life is no different than if you set them to win easily. Neither is “fair.”

You enjoy close games, and someone else enjoys dominating. You are both putting in the same effort. You are both getting exactly what you want.

For me, and baseball is the prime culprit, sliders have destroyed the essence of playing sports, which is competition. If you set sliders for a precise result, and change them when you don’t get that result, then it kind of makes every single win or loss moot.
So if you tune your sliders so that whenever you and the CPU are evenly matched you'll split the games 50% each way in the long run, that's isn't tuning them to be fair?

What exactly is your definition of fair then?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 04-11-2021, 03:41 PM   #30
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
it's times like these I ask myself 'WWHD'
what would Houston do.
then I do the opposite
So you would hit a recycling bin then?

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Old 04-18-2021, 07:03 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I have one more thing, then I'll let it be:

I assume she wasn't talking about baseball, or even sports in general,
but Mae West said it best and it pretty much sums up why I enjoy baseball just for the pure sport of it.

''the score never interested me, only the game''

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »