Home

How old are you, MLB the Show fan?

This is a discussion on How old are you, MLB the Show fan? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How old are you, MLB the Show fan?
15 and under 1 0.22%
16 - 21 3 0.67%
22 - 27 36 8.05%
28 - 34 84 18.79%
35 - 44 150 33.56%
45 - 54 107 23.94%
55 - 64 42 9.40%
65 and over 21 4.70%
Decline to answer / don't know how old I am 3 0.67%
Voters: 447. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2021, 06:06 AM   #41
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: How old are you, MLB the Show fan?

I’m 32. My first baseball game was Triple Play ‘96 for sega genesis. Loved that game. I remember editing all of the players that matched the 97 Blue Jays.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2021, 06:10 AM   #42
MVP

awffltony77's Arena

That game was easily the most realistic baseball game up to, and even a bit beyond, that point. Probably until High Heat on PC came in and blew everything out of the water.

44 btw. Playing baseball games since I first got ahold of MLB on nes.

Tabletop gaming was (and in part still is) a huge part of my sports nerdness too with APBA and Strato.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizfan2
Numbers can be such an ugly determinate, let's just say I played Tony Larussa Baseball on Sega.
Sent from my REVVLRY using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-23-2021, 07:11 AM   #43
Banned

42 next week.
First baseball game was Earl Weaver Baseball for DOS. That game was ahead of its time, it had create a stadium!
I've owned pretty much every major baseball game since then except Tony Larussa Baseball. The Show is definitely the most realistic representation of baseball ever constructed, despite my constant criticism.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2021, 07:19 AM   #44
MVP

Houston's Arena

I wanted to personally think everyone for liking and posting there ages and there video gaming background. A lot of great stories, consoles we grew up all playing.

I wanted to share my own little story with you guys, most have maybe seen this before and I know Armor has.

The reason I love baseball is probably the same as any other baseball fanatic, but I have a good story behind why I love the game and why I'm so passionate about it.

Me and my brother always played video games from Atari all the way up to Dream-cast. My mom worked for a popular hotel for 20 something years my brother was 8 years older than me, but he had epilepsy and someone had to be home with him.

So that person was me. Although my brother had epilepsy and was border line mentally challenged he was a walking genius. He could answer any sport question you gave him, any stat, any record, he knew it all.

To make a long story short we would sit in front of the TV for hours playing video games. I was probably in my teen age years - early twenties we played a lot of baseball games like World Series on Sega, Ken Griffey Jr, (Yes we did play lots of football as well, Madden, Quarterback Club and the 2k Football on Dreamcast) but we fell in love with ALL STAR BASEBALL at the time on Nintendo 64.

I half to tell you guys when I first started playing I didn't know a lot about the players etc etc...but as we played year after year I begin to learn the game and learn the sport inside and out. For the youngsters there was a things called the news paper and I would look at the box scores every day in the sports section.

We had so much fun together playing game after game using the Houston Astros of course.

My brother loved his hometown teams and so do I, I can remember when the Astros were opening there new stadium (Minute Maid Park) from playing so many years in the Astrodome and my brother was so excited to go, but before the season began my brother passed away March 25, 2000 and we never got to take him.

It took me a long time to pick up a controller and play these video games again as it always reminded me of him. As time went on the pain of losing my brother got a little easier but still found myself missing him everyday. I made it a dream/promise and a real passion to play a full baseball season in memory of him. I know my brother is up in heaven and looking down proud of where these games have gone and I wish he was down here to enjoy MLB THE SHOW series with me.

I know this was probably a lot to read, but this is what baseball means to me and the real reason I choose to do my online league and my rosters. I am not a professional baseball player and never was, I did play little league, junior high and High School. I spent my teenage and young adult years playing baseball games with my brother although he is no longer with me I can still play this game in memory of him and feel like he is still sitting right next to me.

I just love everything there is about baseball from the stadiums, the players, the stats and the fans all around the country and I have my brother to thank for all those games we played, all those games we watched in person or on TV.

Glad to share the story and the real reason behind my MLB NETWORK Online League and Rosters. This is why I love baseball so much and maybe there are others out there with a similar experience.

==================================================

Now with that being said guys, I understand a lot of us older guys fear or just have not interested in playing online because of the latency or the cheaters and win at all cost type of players online.

But, in my online league it's only for us older gamers, the older crowd and guys who believe in true sportsmanship and FAIR-PLAY gaming. I have a website, we use that to schedule games, but I also have a set of rules, settings etc that we all follow and play on. I am very selective who I put in my leagues and I do a PARTY CHAT with them to ensure we are all on the same page of what we want out of this type of league.

I believe everyone being on the same playing field in my leagues. So every owner does use the same exact settings I have setup for the league.

My leagues is not for everyone, but I can promise you anyone interested in joining thats at least 30 years and older that YOU WILL GET PLAYED RIGHT IN THIS LEAGUE!!

If any of you older gamers out there are curious or interested in playing some fun baseball games with other older gamers like myself then contact me privately with your PSN name and your age and I gladly will begin the 3 step process with you.

My league is the best well structured league available, but don't take my word for it, just give me 10 mins of your time to allow me to show or explain to you what we have in place.

You can always look at on very own OS thread here.

https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/mlb-show-online/984680-mlb-network-league-mlb-show-21-sign-ups-ps4-ps5-only.html

Thanks,

H.B.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:16 AM   #45
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston
I wanted to personally think everyone for liking and posting there ages and there video gaming background. A lot of great stories, consoles we grew up all playing.

I wanted to share my own little story with you guys, most have maybe seen this before and I know Armor has.

The reason I love baseball is probably the same as any other baseball fanatic, but I have a good story behind why I love the game and why I'm so passionate about it.

Me and my brother always played video games from Atari all the way up to Dream-cast. My mom worked for a popular hotel for 20 something years my brother was 8 years older than me, but he had epilepsy and someone had to be home with him.

So that person was me. Although my brother had epilepsy and was border line mentally challenged he was a walking genius. He could answer any sport question you gave him, any stat, any record, he knew it all.

To make a long story short we would sit in front of the TV for hours playing video games. I was probably in my teen age years - early twenties we played a lot of baseball games like World Series on Sega, Ken Griffey Jr, (Yes we did play lots of football as well, Madden, Quarterback Club and the 2k Football on Dreamcast) but we fell in love with ALL STAR BASEBALL at the time on Nintendo 64.

I half to tell you guys when I first started playing I didn't know a lot about the players etc etc...but as we played year after year I begin to learn the game and learn the sport inside and out. For the youngsters there was a things called the news paper and I would look at the box scores every day in the sports section.

We had so much fun together playing game after game using the Houston Astros of course.

My brother loved his hometown teams and so do I, I can remember when the Astros were opening there new stadium (Minute Maid Park) from playing so many years in the Astrodome and my brother was so excited to go, but before the season began my brother passed away March 25, 2000 and we never got to take him.

It took me a long time to pick up a controller and play these video games again as it always reminded me of him. As time went on the pain of losing my brother got a little easier but still found myself missing him everyday. I made it a dream/promise and a real passion to play a full baseball season in memory of him. I know my brother is up in heaven and looking down proud of where these games have gone and I wish he was down here to enjoy MLB THE SHOW series with me.

I know this was probably a lot to read, but this is what baseball means to me and the real reason I choose to do my online league and my rosters. I am not a professional baseball player and never was, I did play little league, junior high and High School. I spent my teenage and young adult years playing baseball games with my brother although he is no longer with me I can still play this game in memory of him and feel like he is still sitting right next to me.

I just love everything there is about baseball from the stadiums, the players, the stats and the fans all around the country and I have my brother to thank for all those games we played, all those games we watched in person or on TV.

Glad to share the story and the real reason behind my MLB NETWORK Online League and Rosters. This is why I love baseball so much and maybe there are others out there with a similar experience.

==================================================

Now with that being said guys, I understand a lot of us older guys fear or just have not interested in playing online because of the latency or the cheaters and win at all cost type of players online.

But, in my online league it's only for us older gamers, the older crowd and guys who believe in true sportsmanship and FAIR-PLAY gaming. I have a website, we use that to schedule games, but I also have a set of rules, settings etc that we all follow and play on. I am very selective who I put in my leagues and I do a PARTY CHAT with them to ensure we are all on the same page of what we want out of this type of league.

I believe everyone being on the same playing field in my leagues. So every owner does use the same exact settings I have setup for the league.

My leagues is not for everyone, but I can promise you anyone interested in joining thats at least 30 years and older that YOU WILL GET PLAYED RIGHT IN THIS LEAGUE!!

If any of you older gamers out there are curious or interested in playing some fun baseball games with other older gamers like myself then contact me privately with your PSN name and your age and I gladly will begin the 3 step process with you.

My league is the best well structured league available, but don't take my word for it, just give me 10 mins of your time to allow me to show or explain to you what we have in place.

You can always look at on very own OS thread here.

https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/mlb-show-online/984680-mlb-network-league-mlb-show-21-sign-ups-ps4-ps5-only.html

Thanks,

H.B.
Great post right here.

Sent from my thoughts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2021, 08:35 AM   #46
D*lph*ns m*k* m* cry

OVR: 13
How old are you, MLB the Show fan?

54 here and still going strong in fact now that my kids are older I have more time at night to game. Been playing since Atari 2600. Baseball has always been my favorite sports video game to play. God I logged so many hours in to Tommy Lasorda baseball. I still play it once in a while

Last edited by marino13; 05-23-2021 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:47 AM   #47
Rookie

guinness22's Arena

OVR: 1

53. Started with handheld blips of light, then Atari realsports baseball, through Hardball, High Heat, and MVP on the Genesis then PlayStation, before settling in on MLB The Show every year through 2020.

Also for years played NHL and Madden alongside but dropped those years ago. Playing a bit of MLB The Show 21 on game pass on my Series X, may pick it up later for my PS5 when it’s on sale. Not so sure of 21. Still playing my ‘19 Chise in ‘20 on my PS5. The Show is the only game I play.

g22

Old 05-23-2021, 11:57 AM   #48
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Awesome thread. I love reading everyone's stories.

I am 40 and Super Action Baseball on Colecovision was the first I remember playing, but the NES era was when I really fell in love with baseball games. I didn't have a ton of money growing up so I wasn't able to try every game out there, but I was lucky enough to get my hands on RBI and Bases Loaded and I would play both of those for hours and hours. Bases Loaded had the camera behind the pitcher and I was blown away with how realistic it felt at the time. There was no built-in way to save your season, so you had to write down a code after every game if you wanted to resume. I remember one summer having a notebook full of codes and just having a blast.

After the strike of '94, I remember being so bummed and I lost interest in baseball as I had also just finished my last season of Little League. I became distracted with girls, partying, and skateboarding, and unfortunately missed out on like 3 generations of great baseball games as I was too busy playing stuff like Mortal Kombat, Goldeneye, and Tony Hawk instead (what a fool I was, right?). It wasn't until I got a PSP and happened to stumble upon MLB The Show 06 that my love for baseball was reignited. I felt like a kid all over again and was once again blown away. This series single-handedly brought me back to the love of the game and I am forever grateful.

Last edited by jeffy777; 05-23-2021 at 12:12 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »