Home

Little things that remain broken for years

This is a discussion on Little things that remain broken for years within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2021, 11:43 AM   #9
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Little things that remain broken for years

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeureally27
One thing I want to add to the list of issues, but I also know there have been threads on this, is stealing. Stealing seems like it's virtually impossible. And I will say it goes both ways. I generally have no trouble throwing out baserunners trying to steal, as long as the throw isn't wild.
This. There’s still a problem when a runners out streched hands go OVER second base, beats the tag, but because the hands are OVER the bag and not TOUCHING the bag (because of lack of collision detection) the runner is called out. Frustrating and I’ve shown screen shots of this in the past.
Old 08-27-2021, 11:49 AM   #10
Pro

IndianSummer's Arena

Yes I have witnessed the error issue resulting in a earned run charged to the pitcher as well…..numerous times.

As far as bunting, I play NL ball with the Cardinals and always check the bunting attribute of the player before attempting to bunt. I also have a player with pretty good wheels in the 8 hole to try and avoid a double play when using my pitcher to bunt him over. I will add this for what it’s worth, I also try to ease the bat back after squaring to bunt to soften it some….I don’t know if it really helps but I feel it does.

I should also add that I am playing 20.

Last edited by IndianSummer; 08-27-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-27-2021, 11:52 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Bunting is a mess. I've done A LOT of testing bunts with players rated all over the place and it is just bad.

Yes, you can have a run of having bunts that are considered good, but overall bunts don't work like they should.

The reason we have rocket bunting now is because of the online crowd. People used to abuse bunting and SDS tuned bunts to be harder off of the bat to combat this. For the offline player it means we have to deal with the unrealistic bunts.

I spent a few days early in the release purely testing bunting and it's incredible how bad it was. I don't have the numbers on hand, but it was around 50% of bunts not only made it to the infield dirt, but had the velocity to make it to the outfield if they were not fielded.

I was testing in batting practice, in team practice, and in real games. There is also an unrealistic amount of bunts that get caught in the air in the infield dirt. That about never happens in real life, but it happened a handful of times every 100 or so bunts.

My favorite bunts thankfully hardly ever happen, but when you literally spend 3 days dropping 1,000's of bunts down you see them, were ones that dropped in for hits in the outfield grass. Yes, I saw multiple bunts that looped over the infield and into the grass for a hit.

Is bunting so off that it is impossible to put down a sacrifice? No. Are they unrealistically hard off of the bat? Beyond yes. Does this lead to the CPU going to 2nd to get the lead runner way too often? Yes yes yes. Does this also lead to the CPU constantly bunting into double plays because they try to suicide squeeze way too often and the majority of them are caught in the air? Yes.

Everyone's experience will be a bit different, but I literally tested 1,000's of bunts which is more than enough for me to say confidently that bunting is bad and needs work.

I get why they tuned if for online play, but it desperately needs to be tuned for the franchise player to be more authentic.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2021, 11:57 AM   #12
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Read through the threads on stealing and you'll see some extremely helpful advice.

I've been successful stealing as has the CPU and I've been thrown out and have thrown out CPU baserunners attempting to steal.

In my experience its extremely balanced and does a good job of taking several factors into effect in regards to whether the steal attempt is successful or not.
Can you link some of the info? The search function isn't working for me at the moment, for some reason.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:05 PM   #13
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeureally27
Can you link some of the info? The search function isn't working for me at the moment, for some reason.
Hope this helps

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ing-bases.html

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 08-27-2021, 12:22 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy

So I’ve used that strategy for years, and it still doesn’t work like I believe it should. I also do worry about pitch selection. I don’t just get to first and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2021, 12:44 PM   #15
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Here is another useful stealing thread:

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-stealing.html

So check what I wrote about when to run, etc.

As far as stealing itself, all I simply do is preload with L2 + the direction of the baserunner I want to steal with.

Honestly, if you run in the right situations and how I preload, stealing is honestly on the easy end. I have lead the league in 3 seasons, and now a 4th in progress with a player with 80 speed and stealing (this includes coach bonuses) and have a second in the top 5 each season.

Point is: run when the time is right and just preload. Don't worry about extra leads or timing the jump perfectly.

This is on all star difficulty.

As far as other things with the game:

The one thing I would like to see improved in the game is errors that are scored base hits. But that doesn't impact gameplay so I am not too worried about it.

Also to note, the above is all for MLB20 but in my time with 21, the same stealing principles applied.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment

Last edited by Funkycorm; 08-27-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2021, 12:59 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkycorm
Here is another useful stealing thread:

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-stealing.html

So check what I wrote about when to run, etc.

As far as stealing itself, all I simply do is preload with L2 + the direction of the baserunner I want to steal with.

Honestly, if you run in the right situations and how I preload, stealing is honestly on the easy end. I have lead the league in 3 seasons, and now a 4th in progress with a player with 80 speed and stealing (this includes coach bonuses) and have a second in the top 5 each season.

Point is: run when the time is right and just preload. Don't worry about extra leads or timing the jump perfectly.

This is on all star difficulty.

As far as other things with the game:

The one thing I would like to see improved in the game is errors that are scored base hits. But that doesn't impact gameplay so I am not too worried about it.

Also to note, the above is all for MLB20 but in my time with 21, the same stealing principles applied.
It doesn't impact gameplay, but it still isn't right. It's just laziness, in my opinion. If it impacted online or their cash cow (diamond dynasty), they'd have a patch released before you could say "patch."

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »