Home

UFC 117 - Anderson Silva v. Chael Sonnen

This is a discussion on UFC 117 - Anderson Silva v. Chael Sonnen within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #49
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Not Only is Anderson Silva Fighting Chael Sonnen at UFC 117... It's the Main Even

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtertmp
I agree 100%.. as you said, there is no shame in getting tapped by elite BJJ guys. However, chael sonnen is apparently the 2nd best MW in the UFC right now and has "earned" the right to fight the best fighter in company history (and possibly the p4p best fighter in all of MMA right now).

If (stylistically) he doesn't matchup well I think thats a relevant derision of the fight considering silva has a very strong TDD/BJJ game (comparable or better than any of the aforementioned fighters with the exception of maia) and has the advantage in literally every aspect of the fight except for trashtalking.

I guess my frustration stems from silva's age (35 or so I believe)... he has limited fights left in his career to waste on middle of the pack middleweights when he could try to cement his legacy as the best ever by beating guys like GSP, shogun, et al (minus machida/JDS).

Let me rephrase my criticism of this fight.. after silva embarrassed forrest griffin did anyone really think he needed to fight sonnen before moving up to LHW? Is sonnen a greater threat than LHW's of forrest's caliber?

He annihilated a journeyman LHW and top 5 LHW in just 4 minutes combined (with no threat of danger) and has beaten 11 straight opponents. He is the best fighter in the promotion fighting in it's worst division but apparently can't move up?
If Silva wouldnt have danced around like an idiot against Maia killing his drawing power, we would see him in a superfight against GSP and probably on the Ultimate Fighter. Also Silva is going to be forced into fights like this until he vacates the MW belt. If he vacated it he would be free to move to 205 and take headline fights against Rampage, Rua, Evans etc. Its not the UFC's fault....It's Silva's
Old 06-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #50
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: Not Only is Anderson Silva Fighting Chael Sonnen at UFC 117... It's the Main Even

Thiago Silva on the undercard eh? I guess since the prelims are televised now and usually pull in tons of viewers that isn't the worst thing.

Still a little odd.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #51
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

Yeah, they definitely have to do the prelims on Spike for this. Both the Silva and Hazelett fights I want to really see.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #52

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Here is a link to a video of, of all people, Steven Seagal training with Anderson Silva. I cant make out what theyre saying for obvious reasons but I found the video somewhat interesting....

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/6/20/15...and-his-secret
Old 06-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #53
Banned

feedthehorse28's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
Here is a link to a video of, of all people, Steven Seagal training with Anderson Silva. I cant make out what theyre saying for obvious reasons but I found the video somewhat interesting....

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/6/20/15...and-his-secret
That has to be a joke...
Old 06-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #54
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

The hell, I just noticed Hughes/Almeida is the co-main event. I hate that. I don't care about Hughes anymore, does anyone?

T. Alves getting added

T. Silva on the card too

Dos Santos
Old 06-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #55
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
The hell, I just noticed Hughes/Almeida is the co-main event. I hate that. I don't care about Hughes anymore, does anyone?

T. Alves getting added

T. Silva on the card too

Dos Santos
Hughes is still a big name so I understand it. Plus the card is stacked. Alves/Fitch 2 and Nelson/Dos Santos.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #56
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

I understand it. I'm just glad the next three cards are must watches.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »