Home

1979-80 NBA Season Roster: Work in Progress

This is a discussion on 1979-80 NBA Season Roster: Work in Progress within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2015, 01:37 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
1979-80 NBA Season Roster: Work in Progress

Hi, everyone -

I am at work on a roster representing, as well as I can manage, the 1979-80 NBA season. I picked 79-80 because I feel like it was sort of a transitional year for the NBA; Magic and Bird were rookies but none of the teams that would eventually dominate then next decade had quite come together yet.

It's slow going, but I found when working on these things last year that posting regular updates keeps me honest and motivated. I have completed spreadsheets for all 22 teams that were in the league in 79-80, with each roster as it stood on October 12, 1979. The other 8 teams will consist entirely of players who were recently retired, playing in Europe, or free agents as of that date. I'm also hoping to make 50-60 free agents and a few years' worth of companion draft classes.

As always, anyone interested in helping out, please let me know!

I have completed a total of four teams so far - the four teams that were the real-life NBA's final four:

The Los Angeles Lakers: The eventual champs, with a rookie Magic (82 OVR) joining 79-80 MVP Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (90) and forward Jamaal Wilkes (80) in one of the league's best Big Threes. Depth is the biggest weakness for this Laker team, as the only other player rated 70+ overall is point guard Norm Nixon (72).

Philadelphia 76ers: The runner-ups feature Julius Erving (87) and a career year from power forward Bobby Jones (80), plus second-year point guard Maurice Cheeks (77), veteran center Darryl Dawkins (72), and a surprisingly potent sixth man in Steve Mix (76).

Boston Celtics: The best player on this version of the Celtics was low-post star Cedric Maxwell (86), who joins Larry Bird (83) to give Boston the best inside-outside combo in the top four. This year's Celtics were a very deep team, with Tiny Archibald (78), Chris Ford (73), Dave Cowens (73), Rick Robey (74), and Jeff Judkins (70) all playing meaningful roles.

Seattle Supersonics: This team made the Western Conference Finals behind slashing guard Gus Williams (84) and Hall of Fame center Jack Sikma (78), here only 24 years old and at the beginning of a long run of excellence. There's a range of interesting scoring options here, most interestingly Dennis Johnson (74) and Fred Brown (73), the best 3-point shooter of the year. Buried on the bench: rookies Vinnie Johnson (70) and James Donaldson (70), who would both go on to big careers with other teams in real life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
Pro

Re: 1979-80 NBA Season Roster: Work in Progress

If I have any caps you want you are welcome to them
Old 10-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freno90
If I have any caps you want you are welcome to them
That'd be AWESOME. Who do you have so far?
Old 10-13-2015, 04:27 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 2

Great job fcf!
Old 10-13-2015, 06:07 PM   #5
MVP

Jaiveer's Arena

That's great I was working on some draft classes too I could help on draft classes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2015, 12:21 PM   #6
Rookie

BaseballJunkie's Arena

Awesome idea...is this for PS4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #7
Pro

metallicarl's Arena

OVR: 2

I'm new to PS4 and 2k 16 but have worked on many football rosters. Just now saw that you were working on a 79-80 roster, i've been researching and working on a 78-79 roster for myself to try to figure out how all the ratings work. I know stats are widely available on the web, but if you need any scouting reports on players or tendancies let me know. I've compiled notes from guides and online on most of the players.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:54 PM   #8
MVP

Old School Carl your 78-79 roster will be a Great addition to this game as were your many wonderful NCAA 14 College Football rosters in particular that fabulous 1966 one.

To have both a 78-79 & 79-80 Roster set for NBA 2K16 is really a wonderful thing !

Thanks guys for all your great work and dedication to making this game so much better !

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »