Home

Why I'm Pissed At 2K Sports

This is a discussion on Why I'm Pissed At 2K Sports within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Rookie

wolakfan's Arena

OVR: 1
Why I'm Pissed At 2K Sports

"IF ONLY THEY HAD GIVEN US A CHOICE"
Disclaimer: I have been playing 2K Sports Games from the beginning of their existence and have been a loyal supporter even through today. I am writing this review as a means to vent my frustration over the changes 2K Sports made to NBA 2K14 in regards to the next gen console versions of the game.

I want to start by stating that the gameplay and graphics in NBA 2K14 for the PS4 by far surpasses anything I've ever seen in a video game. However, most of the things that separated NBA 2K from its competition in terms of game features has been ruined in the next ten version of NBA 2K14.

Disappointment, anger, frustration, rage. All of these things came to a head when I was finally (after 5+ hours of installation) able to dive into NBA 2K14 for PS4. For starters, Playoffs Mode gone. Association mode gone (replaced by My GM). Season mode still exists as an option within MY GM mode but you can only control 1 team AND the start season from today option has been removed entirely. My GM mode is ok if you like mixing RPG elements with sports (which I hate immensely), but I wish 2K had given players the option to choose between My GM mode and the standard Assocation Mode (that IMO they had done a great job on the last few years). The most fun I've had in playing sports video games is running an association in which I control every team and dictate the success or failure of each and every team. Not to mention accurate stats, player rotations, etc. but now I'm forced to only controlling one team and earning points so that I can feed the egos of AI players, coaches and owners.

Attention: 2K Sports - Not everyone wants to live the daily routine of an NBA GM. Making roster moves and financial decisions are fine, but having to earn VC points so that you can stay on the AI's good side is annoying. Of course you do have the option to buy VC points (which makes me sick to my stomach).

The main reason I am so upset over the changes that 2K made is that it seems a bit out of character for them. Honestly, these moves seem like something that EA Sports would do. I played NBA Live before it was NBA Live (Lakers vs Celtics and the NBA Playoffs on Sega Genesis) and I remembered their glory days in the 90's and how far they fell off in the PS3, Xbox 360 Generation. Now like I mentioned earlier if you want to just play a quick game, the game looks and plays magnificently. But if you're like me and enjoy playing out a full season or two or more in an Association in which you are FULLY in control, then sadly this game isn't for you. Here's to hoping that EA Sports can capitalize on the mistakes 2K made with the next gen version of their game or that 2K comes to their senses with NBA 2K15.

Thank You for letting me rant.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: Why I'm Pissed At 2K Sports

Your feelings are felt from a vast majority of people on both new gen consoles that are hardcore Association mode players believe me. The game is called "NBA" 2K14, meaning that you bought and paid the rights to use the NBA (National Basketball Association) players and coaches and teams, and instead now they have turned to their direction to having users implement a created player of themselves to put into the "NBA" world they have created. Like you said not everyone wants to play that direction and it's the people that don't play MyPlayer or MyCareer or MyTeam who 2K has turned their back on, almost to the silent voice that they are "daring" Association mode players to settle for Live '14 and whatever they have if they don't like the direction 2k is taking the game. Well the one problem with that is the last few years we weren't able to have a viable option to any other NBA type video game to choose from and now that we are, daring us to choose Live over 2k's new direction for the game might have been the move that ends their 15 minutes of fame. The one thing that 2K has not done (and I've only had the 2K game since 2k11) is that they failed in 2k12, 2k13, and 2k14 to give the association mode the attention it deserves and basically refused to acknowledge any glitches or issues in the mode despite all the feedback from their customers.

Former Boys Varsity Basketball Coach
Eaglerock562 NBA2K MyEra Reference Guide
Old 11-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Rookie

wolakfan's Arena

One thing I forgot to mention because it's slight off-topic is that they absolutely RUINED young Kobe for me. For some insane reason the classic 97-98 Kobe is tatted up. I don't understand how they can get something like that right in the current gen version and wrong in the next gen version. As a huge Laker fan that has watched Kobe's entire career this is unforgivable! So disappointed in 2K right now!

P.S. I discovered that in Season mode you can change rotations for non user controlled teams by selecting the team in roster view and then going to rotations, but you have to do that for each and every team. Also you can edit and trade players on non-user controlled teams in the season mode.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
Rookie

wolakfan's Arena

OMG! I just had to spend VC points to adjust my rotation for opening night in My GM Mode. I'm done! *Drops The Mic*
Old 11-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolakfan
OMG! I just had to spend VC points to adjust my rotation for opening night in My GM Mode. I'm done! *Drops The Mic*
WHAT.? Seriously? VC to adjust rotations??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
MVP

OkayC's Arena

OVR: 0

I agree, with many of your points. But for any who believe association is the red headed step child, while mycareer gets all the attention. Your wrong. mycareer since its debut has literally gotten progressively worse. Thats not an exageration, its the truth. And now on next gen it has turned into little more than an rpg. Its like im playing legend of zelda or something. It has cutscenes and a made up rival and everything now, its rediculous. I too am a little dissapointed in the fantasy direction 2k has chosen to go in. Sports games are supposed to simulate real life, why would adding a story arc, and cutscenes to any of these modes, EVER be a good idea? fantasy and realism don't mix for a reason, thats all im saying.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
Rookie

SavoyPrime's Arena

It would be nice if in 2K15, 2K would bring back Association and also keep MyGM for those who are interested in all that stuff that MyGM has going on. I really do prefer Association. Not sure why both modes couldn't have existed. So hopefully they will give us consumers/fanbase that option for 2K15. Not really feeling 2K's restrictive plan for the future of the franchise. Especially when it comes to VC being involved in pretty much everything you do now in the game. And don't even get me started on the fact there is no create-a-player, create-a-team, etc.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
Rookie

SavoyPrime's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkayC
I agree, with many of your points. But for any who believe association is the red headed step child, while mycareer gets all the attention. Your wrong. mycareer since its debut has literally gotten progressively worse. Thats not an exageration, its the truth. And now on next gen it has turned into little more than an rpg. Its like im playing legend of zelda or something. It has cutscenes and a made up rival and everything now, its rediculous. I too am a little dissapointed in the fantasy direction 2k has chosen to go in. Sports games are supposed to simulate real life, why would adding a story arc, and cutscenes to any of these modes, EVER be a good idea? fantasy and realism don't mix for a reason, thats all im saying.
I feel ya.

I find myself wishing the dev team that handles the MLB: The Show series would take a crack at a NBA game. I'm not even in to baseball like that and REALLY enjoy the MLB: The Show games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »