Home

How Should 2k Respond to Community Disappointment over Features Cuts?

This is a discussion on How Should 2k Respond to Community Disappointment over Features Cuts? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #81
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: How Should 2k Respond to Community Disappointment over Features Cuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
To the OP's original topic in the last 2 days you have seen 2 developers and LD2k respond in some threads here explaining a few things as well as taking some feedback. I think thats a positive step in responding to some (including myself) of the "community disappointment". I know we would all like to know what the future holds and their plans moving forward, but they obviously can't speak on that. I for 1 am happy to see some of the developers chiming in and answering some concerns or questions we had as well as stating that they are listening to all the ideas and taking notes for next years games. This only means they are listening to both the good and the bad reviews from the community. That is a HUGE positive and step in my eyes moving forward.
I pretty much agree with this, and hope this thread had some small part in encouraging the 2k posters here to chime in the way they did. Those are all steps in the right direction, and it's clear to me at least their comments and presence have calmed things down a little. That's what I was hoping.

That said, I hope there will be some more planned communication from 2k to answer some questions about what challenges they faced with this new engine and NG game, what they wanted to include but maybe couldn't this year for whatever reason, what their goals may as as it relates to the sim/customization crew for modes, what role VC is intended to play in the modes, etc.

I'm hoping that part of all this could be an announcement of some server cloud side tuning of player roles and trade logic in MyGM for a patch this year to calm the mode down a bit, even if they are not writing new code to change CPU logic. And maybe the ability to give online players more control of leagues and settings. Or maybe tweaking the VC price tags on some things to make, say, accessories and their customization more accessible. In other words, maybe identify some low hanging fruit fixes to this years; NG game that might partially address some of the issues/questions coming up.

The ad hoc participation of the 2k guys here is a great thing. To me, it buys 2k some time to maybe put together a more comprehensive set of responses and communications on the other questions out there. Not because they have to, but because it's good business and good corporate PR, and good to pay attention to your most loyal, passionate and engaged customer base.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #82
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
As for VC, I can't stand it either, but at some point people are going to have to stop crying about VC when that kind of thing is in virtually every other video game in some kind of way. Pre-Order bonuses, DLC, microtransactions, it's the norm in video games so trying to hold 2K to some standard of sneaky evil and shunning the sim community because of those inclusions is unwarranted as well.
no, those are things that are not in the base game that the company charges for an additional price. the major problem with VC is that it was littered (or "carpet bombed" as VDusen kindly said) on things that we already had access to free from the start in previous games.(ie. tats and accessories in mycareer, star players in blacktop)

Last edited by BluFu; 11-22-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #83
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
It sounds like you're saying that posters around here know all the information in advance about a game before it releases. But that's patently not true.

People pay attention to the public statements and read the tea leaves on e3 video footage, etc., precisely because there's no clear public information, and what there is, is incomplete.

I don't understand your argument, which seems to be, hey, if you're surprised, it's your own fault, because you didn't pay close enough attention to all the readily available information here on this site prior to launch.
You make is sound like people are required to pre-order video games, or buy them on day 1.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #84
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
You make is sound like people are required to pre-order video games, or buy them on day 1.
Good point! I saw that the game didn't have what "I" wanted in it this year so I chose to wait from CG to NG to see if this changed. Between videos online, reviews, live streams, etc you can find out everything we need to before you buy. I'm now doing the same thing with waiting for reviews of both xbox1 and ps4 before deciding which one to buy. There is more than enough information to make an educated decision if this game or system will meet what you want or expect in a game. I used to be a day 1 purchase guy with both madden and 2k but now I am waiting to get more info 1st.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #85
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFu
no, those are things that are not in the base game that the company charges for an additional price. the major problem with VC is that it was littered (or "carpet bombed" as VDusen kindly said) on things that we already had access to free from the start in previous games.(ie. tats and accessories in mycareer, star players in blacktop)
This was the same argument when EA starting charging for alternate uni's in NCAA. I didn't like it, but was also reminded of a classic Simpsons scene:

-- at the Cookie Collossus store, "Bart's Dog Gets an F''
Girl: Aloha! Would you like a free sample?
Homer: The price is right!
Mmm.. Ooh.. Macamadamia nuts.
Girl: If you'd like to buy some, they're only a dollar each.
Homer: Oh, so that's your little plan. Get us addicted, then jack
up the price! ... [meekly] Well, you win.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #86
MVP

seanbarkley's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
I'm now doing the same thing with waiting for reviews of both xbox1 and ps4 before deciding which one to buy.
Just out of curiosity, which one is winning van? I've already made my decision.

Enviado desde mi iPhone 5 con Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #87
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

An interesting contrast is from EA. Their game is **** (2K is great, but stripped down) and came out in a letter acknowledging the problem and letting fans know they'll be working on bringing in the things fans want.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #88
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Kidd
An interesting contrast is from EA. Their game is **** (2K is great, but stripped down) and came out in a letter acknowledging the problem and letting fans know they'll be working on bringing in the things fans want.
So you want a letter/apology/something to make you feel better...? The thing with Madden is that it's been bad for an entire generation - they should be apologizing; they're not saying anything that everyone pretty much already knows. They get additional static for the perception/reality that they killed videogame football competition and didn't deliver a decent product. If next year's game is the same old same old, that acknowledgement won't mean anything.

With NBA basketball it's an entirely different situation - no exclusivity, no one company has an advantage developing an NBA game over another because they paid to gain a competitive edge. In a completely open market 2K's made a game that stands heads and shoulders above the competition. And they have probably the most content/feature rich sports game in current gen. Given what we've seen historically with launch games and I'd think ESPECIALLY since the next gen game and the current gen game were releasing so closely together, there really was no reason for some people to go on a tangent expecting to get everything the last gen game had. No one has a problem with concerns being voiced, and obviously 2K is listening. But imo a lot of this contempt is way too over the top given what 2K did last gen and particularly for what they did deliver as a launch game.

I get that some of you feel slighted, but in the end there's nothing they're going to be able to tell you that you'll accept. And in the end, if they do a worse case scenario and don't add back some of the features that were present in current gen, what good would an apology/acknowledgement today mean? To make you feel better for a while? IF you choose to believe them? Give you a heads up to purchase the competition's game? Because if it were good enough, you guys would've jumped ship long ago. I'm primarily a football fan and I think I have every right to hammer EA on their policies given their involvement with NFL exclusivity. After a while I just stopped caring - they're producing a product I don't like so I choose not to buy it. I'm not going to feel better if EA sends me a personal apology. At the end of the day it's not like anyone here is giving 2K money out of the kindness of their hearts and getting nothing in return.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »