Home

Tips for defending alley oops?

This is a discussion on Tips for defending alley oops? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Tips for defending alley oops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
User Response:

1) The jump button should do a better job of following the arc of the lob pass. Right now, there are many occasions where you will see the oop coming, press jump once the pass goes up in the air, and somehow your defender will jump away from the direction of the pass.

Computer Automation:

Run two checks whenever an alley oop is attempted:

1) Is the passer being tightly guarded? If so, the pass' accuracy should be significantly reduced.

2A) Is the recipient being tightly guarded?

2B) Will the path of the lob pass take the recipient through a crowded area of the floor? If so, he should have a more difficult time catching the pass and completing the dunk.

Right now, it seems like the success/failure of the alley oop animation is largely based on the passer's rating plus the dunker's rating and not much else.
Great stuff here. I'd love for expanded recognition and animation response when I'm attempting to deflect an alley-oop. It's been a bummer through the years when I completely sniff out a lob play and put myself in perfect position, only to realize I don't really have a command that's going to allow me to do what I want (jump up and intercept or disrupt the pass).
Old 04-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5541
You're better off standing in front of the cutter as close as you can instead of jumping.
Thanks for this tip. I've been using this method lately, and it seems to be the best way to disrupt alley oops in this year's game, though it's still far from being reliable.

It seems like standing in front of the dunker before he jumps will prevent the catch animation from triggering.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #11
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

You have two options: 1) Press the steal button when the pass is thrown and pray, 2) Get in the receiver's path (holding L2 usually helps) and pray. Sometimes though, you're just gonna get dunked on no matter what.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1

For loose balls, it's not perfect but turn off/way down the defense assist slider on the controller settings.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #13
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

It's my guess that the offense has their POE set to "Get to basket" and that on defense you could have yours set to "Limit Perimeter Shots" which would open up the paint. I would think it might help to have your POE set to "Nothing Inside" or maybe even "Play Physical" to help prevent half court alley oops.

The other thing is that if you have time to do it, guys that oop alot run to certain spots to do it. You could intentionally foul the passer or guard the spot instead of the man.

While you don't want to foul needlessly, there might be times you don't want a momentum shift and it would be worth burning a foul to reset the offense.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by Coach2K; 04-20-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

I'm a big fan of the play physical point of emphasis, but I haven't seen it have much affect on stopping oops.

Most games, I usually go with:

crash offensive glass
nothing inside
play physical

Then if I'm giving up offensive rebounds, I'll change nothing inside to crash defensive glass.

I also use 50 defensive assist and always shot contest, if those settings make any difference.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0

I feel it is possible the best way in transition is to cut off the dunkers lane and box him out i do it all the time. In half court you may have to off ball and just front and always keep a hand on him, or select options in which you d shrinks inwards, like zone play, or nothing inside. Also try not to turn the ball over. Don't panic and stay patient, i've been down but kept it close against people who abuse moves. Then came out on top in the end. Any exploit someone does is at best works 80% of the time with good defense. Make it hard for them on offense, people like that don't have patience. They will eventually start getting mentally fatigued and begin making errors.
I do agree the success of completion need to be lower though or the game-play formulas or codes need to be added or improved in which how close you guard the ball a handler affect the success of the alley oop. The passer needs space to throw it just as much as the guy going for the oop, and in 2k it doesn't seen to account as much as i believe it need to be.

-alXndathegreat-
#SIMNATION
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2014, 11:36 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 8

They'll flub the oop most times if your're not giving up penetration for an extra defender to help. I make sure my POE is set to crash defensive glass, as the AI is reluctant to help on D, and stay near the basket. I just have to do my part and protect the middle from penetration.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »