Home

Does "Clutch Factor" exist in NBA2K14 on X-Box One?

This is a discussion on Does "Clutch Factor" exist in NBA2K14 on X-Box One? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Does "Clutch Factor" exist in NBA2K14 on X-Box One?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyslexicphish
What people are describing is actually called "rubber band a.i." and has existed in video games for as long as I remember. There's even a tv trope about it.
That is correct, however the difference is between how subtle or not it is in each game..my only issue is that eventually matches ends up playing out same way ..i jump ahead and then AI goes bonkers..

AI players start shaking like they are about to have seizure, so it's easy to notice when they kick into catch up mode..
Old 08-22-2014, 01:35 AM   #34
Pro

jaateloauto's Arena

OVR: 1

CPU gets attribute boosts based on difficulty and all players (yours too) do get attribute boosts in clutch time based on their ratings and abilities. HOF + clutch can be a deadly combination.

On MyCareer it can feel unfair. When you play against HOF and think your teammates always miss their shots and play otherwise poorly that is because they don't get the attribute boosts your opponent does so they in fact are always objectively playing worse.

There are also a lot of animation shots that CPU initiates that seem unfair as they can't really be defended or stopped and go in almost always. Floaters are a good example as they will almost always go in on HOF no matter the player shooting them and the animation makes defenders slide away from the shooter giving them wide open space where you were actually defending them closely before the start of the animation.

However I don't feel like there's anything fishy going on beyond that when playing CPU in modes where you control all players. MyCareer 'coach objectives' are another thing entirely.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:04 AM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrisi2
There is absolutely a "comeback code" in NBA 2K. No question about it. Only question is how much it effects the game you're playing. The ONLY way there isn't a comeback code, or "catch up," is if the NBA 2K momentum engine is SO BAD that it goes haywire towards the end of games. I've considered that but I don't think that's the case.

Also, the skill level\ratings thing is great insight, but it's separate from that. Under that theory, the CPU is better than the player the entire game. That ratings boost is always in effect. The catch up in the game is different in that it only is activated at certain times, and it keeps the score close.

You outscore a team 21-14 1st, even the 2nd, outscore them 24-15 in the 3rd and then all of a sudden, in a game where you've dominated them the entire time and they've been done, your team goes cold, they go hot, and of course the game is within 1-5 pts at the end. That's the difference between catch-up and a team making a comeback. They shoot 88% to go even then once they've come back, the game is bucket by bucket, always in the last 2-4 mins. It happens for you a lot, also, but it's frustrating as hell, since it's not realistic.

You can tell the difference between good D or a team on a run, but when you blatantly outplay them or they blatantly outplay you and the game just controls everything, it's ridiculous. I've noticed the game do it in several ways in 2K14, and it uses a combo or any one of them to give the losing team an advantage. Remember the losing team can also be you. Also, these aren't absolute's. They don't happen to everybody, 100% of the time. So the "that never happens to me, guess you just suck at the game" responses don't add anything to the convo.

Rebounding
Already off in the game to begin with (easily fixed by sliders) but when catch up is happening it's WAY off. You'll have an easy board, nobody around and for no reason it'll tip back in the air, and a guy will fly in from the nose bleeds and grab it.

Timing
This is the most frustrating. I think this is the most common method. It's as if there's a delay between your controller and your player. It's not responsive. You can notice if you play a game, then play a scrimmage. I don't mean when your engaged with a defensive player either. You'll be alone in the back court and the timing is still way off. Animations are triggered to favor one team, you can't maneuver your player appropriately, your turbo will get drained but it won't actually turbo your player yet.

Blown Shots
People complain about your player missing open shots. That happens in real life and that's not what I'm talking about here. This is when you still play great D, manage a tipped pass and get a steal for a break. Wide open. Player is 90+ in all scoring ratings. Driving to the basket for an easy dunk. All of a sudden your 6'7" superstar forgets how to dunk, does a weak *** jump and blows a lay up, of course with 26 seconds left and your team up 1.

Live Ball
Also common in 2K14. Hard to describe this one. It's as if the ball is more sensitive to the losing team. You won't even hit steal, you'll just have your player close to the offense and the ball gets tipped and somehow ends up in your hands. Totally unrealistic and unfair. Or, passing lanes are on lock down. Unrealistically on lock down. You can dribble to a guy, hand it off and somehow the defense flys from the lane to the 3 pt line in an animation and tips the ball. And even if your quicker to the ball and you have 3 players around the loose ball, somehow your guys can't touch it, and one defender dives for it, saves it miraculously to his cutting teammate who has a wide open fast break. Which reminds me of the next one...

Saving The Ball
Maybe this shouldn't be its own category because I think it's just flawed in the game, no matter when it happens. Somehow the CPU's saves are perfect passes to their teammates, where as when you save the ball it's an actual save. Again, this isn't an absolute. The majority of the time this happens though.

I forget the rest. Through the years I used to keep a list of how the game goes about "keeping it close." Racing games started it way back when, Madden started doing it and 2K is doing it also. Somewhere along the line someone said "man, that game was close, that was really fun" so the devs probably thought "let's make the games close, it'll be fun." But when you're down 20 with 1:54 left, your team goes on a 24-0 run and wins the game, it's not even fun. I don't even want to win like that. I think it's just a matter of 2K reworking their "clutch" algorithm.
I've noticed this and my friend overcomes this by exploiting the 1-3-1 double team and using the power forward to steal the ball. It is quite effective when as you stated there is noticeable delay between your controller inputs and your character and how it clearly favors one team. My buddy also has played close to a thousand games and has flawless shooting whenever he is open so its quite annoying. The times where i get him on the other end of this roller coaster ride he goes bananas.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #36
Banned

Anyone that denies that rubberbanding is in this game, is in denial. I win 95% of online matches in blowouts. I have an A+ rating on both sides. It's like a trigger goes off in the 3rd, and I know exactly when it's time for comeback AI. fumbled pass, missed wide open mid-range with Melo.... Always splitting fts and opponent hits terribly selected contested shots. Team gives up 3 ORs on multiple possessions. Always last in getting to loose balls and get the whistle at the slightest contact in the paint 2 mind into the 4th,Ive overcome this crop and my opponent quits down 15+...Like clockwork. Quit trying to lie for 2K people.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #37
Banned

*2 mins into the 4th, Ive overcome this crap and my opponent quits down 15+...Like clockwork. Quit trying to lie for 2K peopl
Old 08-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #38
Banned

I would also like to add that, regardless of how well dressed and who's in Noles in development , 2K15 will never be a sim if rubber banding remains. It's a great "feature" to keep casuals buying annually, but a slap I need the face to those who would like the game to play like real ball.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #39
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgray
Anyone that denies that rubberbanding is in this game, is in denial. I win 95% of online matches in blowouts. I have an A+ rating on both sides. It's like a trigger goes off in the 3rd, and I know exactly when it's time for comeback AI. fumbled pass, missed wide open mid-range with Melo.... Always splitting fts and opponent hits terribly selected contested shots. Team gives up 3 ORs on multiple possessions. Always last in getting to loose balls and get the whistle at the slightest contact in the paint 2 mind into the 4th,Ive overcome this crop and my opponent quits down 15+...Like clockwork. Quit trying to lie for 2K people.
This guy is speaking the truth here.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #40
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgray
Sorry to bother you but may i ask what your strategy to overcoming the scripted come back is? I am often leading by 10-15 pts against a buddy and he always comes back and wins at the end. It's very frustrating and like I said I know its not just me because I sometimes do it to him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »