Home

Does "Clutch Factor" exist in NBA2K14 on X-Box One?

This is a discussion on Does "Clutch Factor" exist in NBA2K14 on X-Box One? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 11
Does "Clutch Factor" exist in NBA2K14 on X-Box One?

In years past, I always end up struggling with NBA 2K. I'll build a sizable lead, only to go absolutely dead on offense in the 4th quarter, as the AI becomes unstoppable and wipes out any size leads.

I was told about the "clutch factor" setting, which when turning it off, would greatly eliminate that AI surge.

Now, I'm picking up NBA 2K14 on the X-Box One for my regular summertime franchise mode, and the same thing is happening, but I can't find clutch factor anywhere.

I get that I'm using the Orlando Magic, and I expect difficulties and challenges, but I am 0-10, and it doesn't matter how large of a lead I build up, the AI will wipe it out in the 2nd half and beat my my double digits. I had a 20 point lead wiped out in half a quarter.

It's absolutely frustrating and making me not even want to play anymore.

I miss wide open layups. I miss "perfect release", "A+" quality shots. All while the AI starts hitting shots routinely under double or even triple coverage - shots that I'd have no hope of ever making they make with ease. It's not a problem of being able to play and set up shots, I can get guys open, and I'm able to drive with them. It just doesn't matter, the shots miss, while the AI starts running wild.

Any advice?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
Banned

dukebeatsuncagain's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Does "Clutch Factor" exist in NBA2K14 on X-Box One?

Real life is frustrating too.

Before you are like a hundreds of other people on here and just blame the cpu for cheating, realize that the team you are playing with is BAD. If you don't play damn good, you are going to lose. NBA2k is an unforgiving game, always has been. If you want to win more, lower the difficulty...but in my opinion Superstar is the most challenging and fair.

Plus, comeback and runs and losses happen in real life. Instead of accusing the game of cheating, get better at playing the game...and you will win more. That simple.

I have been playing 2k basketball since its inception and I can win, hold off leads, and mount comebacks on Superstar/Sim. It's not cheating, it's you.

People want realism but can't understand why they can't win with the Magic...because the team is bad and they lose in real life. Combine that with sub par 2k skills...0-10.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebeatsuncagain
Real life is frustrating too.

Before you are like a hundreds of other people on here and just blame the cpu for cheating, realize that the team you are playing with is BAD. If you don't play damn good, you are going to lose. NBA2k is an unforgiving game, always has been. If you want to win more, lower the difficulty...but in my opinion Superstar is the most challenging and fair.

Plus, comeback and runs and losses happen in real life. Instead of accusing the game of cheating, get better at playing the game...and you will win more. That simple.

I have been playing 2k basketball since its inception and I can win, hold off leads, and mount comebacks on Superstar/Sim. It's not cheating, it's you.

People want realism but can't understand why they can't win with the Magic...because the team is bad and they lose in real life. Combine that with sub par 2k skills...0-10.
You really didn't read his post, outside of knowing he's using the Magic.

Quote:
I miss wide open layups. I miss "perfect release", "A+" quality shots. All while the AI starts hitting shots routinely under double or even triple coverage - shots that I'd have no hope of ever making they make with ease. It's not a problem of being able to play and set up shots, I can get guys open, and I'm able to drive with them. It just doesn't matter, the shots miss, while the AI starts running wild.
Sounds like his 2k skill is just fine. If it wasn't, he wouldn't have a double-digit lead in the first place. If what he says is true, he's getting open looks on offense and playing solid defense, but the CPU is still mounting comebacks. Yes, runs and big comebacks happen in the real life NBA. But not to the extent that they happen in the game.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
Banned

I guess I am the only one that can hold off leads consistently and mount comebacks.

Just seems like everyone is so quick to blame anything else but themselves.

But no, there is no clutch factor this year.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #5
MVP

XXstormmXX's Arena

OVR: 10

It's not clutch factor anymore it's just plain scripting and it's in every sports game. The only thing I could suggest would be trying to play a Tiki Taka style and pass the ball between your guards and run the clock down as much as you can, and hope they don't have enough time for a comeback.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXstormmXX
It's not clutch factor anymore it's just plain scripting and it's in every sports game. The only thing I could suggest would be trying to play a Tiki Taka style and pass the ball between your guards and run the clock down as much as you can, and hope they don't have enough time for a comeback.
Oh you mean actual basketball strategy?

I'm sorry but 'scripting' is just an excuse people use to justify why they lost so they can feel good about themselves.

I'm sure Mario was 'cheating' and 'scripted as well.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
Banned

And I wasn't trying to rip on the OP. My bad if it came off like that.

Offline is a whole different beast than online. Offline you really have to check the ego at the door and play at a difficulty that suits you.

I could win 10 in a row online, but lose 10 in a row offline on Superstar. Its just how it is.

One thing we KNOW is FACT is that when you scale up the difficulty the CPU gets attribute boosts. Search the JW55 thread to learn more.

But its no different for me than it is for you. I am currently in the 2015 season with the Lakers and am off to a wonderful 1-10 start. But...my team sucks. Even when I sim games we lose, that is how I know I'm getting realistic-ish results. Kobe has to do too much and no defense. My draft pick Marcus Smart has a tough time shooting the ball. Its BAD. But I ask myself, as should you...would the Magic or the Lakers be competing for a Ring in real life....hell no.

And that's realistic. In real NBA this season there were only 4 or 5 teams experts thought had a realistic shot at the championship.

Real sports are frustrating as hell and do you think the Bucks had much fun this year? Hahaha. And they didn't even get the #1 pick.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 11

I never asked for my team to be competing for a championship in the 1st year. I don't WANT that. It takes the fun out of the game in the opposite direction if I can just rattle off wins at will with the Magic in their current state.

As a matter of fact, I actually found a solution to my problems on the difficulty setting I was on, and I had to raise the difficulty because it got to a point that I was beating anyone and everyone with ease. I curbstomped the Spurs by about 25, that's when I knew that I had to up the difficulty.

Come to find out I was playing on All-Star, so I upped the difficulty to Superstar.

Look, struggling and losing is fine. That's the reality of my squad right now. I enjoy the challenge of having to figure out how to win, how to rebuild my team into a contender. That's fun.

But there IS a difference between losing because my team isn't yet good enough, and losing because the AI decided that I had too much of a lead and they had to mount a comeback.

When I can't get a defensive rebound in an entire quarter, because if the AI DOES by chance miss a shot, they get every single offensive rebound - there's a problem with the game. Not with my skills.

When my best rated shooter on the team goes 2-15 from the field, off of wide open shots, that's a problem with the game. Not my skills.

When I have to be wide open just to have a chance to MAKE the shot, but the AI needs to be in tight coverage just to have a chance to MISS the shot, there's a problem with the game. Not my skills.

It's an issue I've witnessed with this game for quite some time now. Granted, back in the days of 2K10, 2K11, 2K12, my team was a lot better and could overcome the blatant shift in power towards the AI, and now my team ISN'T good enough to do so.

But I don't like that blatant shift in power, period.

For my team, any contested shot is an automatic miss, being wide open only grants me a CHANCE to make the shot.

For the AI, any wide open shot is guaranteed to go in, and a contested shot only grants me a CHANCE for a miss.

When I've racked up my lead, I can forget about ever securing a defensive rebound. The AI will literally score on every trip down the court. If they do happen to miss the shot, they will snag the offensive rebound and get the 2nd chance points.

When every game I play follows the same exact outcome - Close 1st quarter, I begin to pull away in the 2nd quarter, 3rd quarter AI becomes unstoppable and wipes out my lead, 4th quarter AI continues to be unstoppable and extends their lead - that's an issue with the game, not my skills.

I don't mind losing. Hell, in the current state of the Magic, I embrace it.

But I don't like scripted outcomes that basically negate any shot I have of winning.

Because then I feel, what's even the point of building my team? The outcome isn't based on my skills and the quality of the players, it's determined by a script that says X, Y, and Z has to happen at a particular juncture.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »